Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Jul 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Just counted. I have 17 bank accounts for different things.
Strikes me that if anything were to happen to me my accounts look a mare, but they all have purpose, Christmas, car, uni, spends, holiday etc. Maybe moaneydashboard would do it for me.

Do they do a dead data scrape or whatever the word is? Or do you have to give them your login details that's the bit I don't feel comfortable with with these aps.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Just counted. I have 17 bank accounts for different things.
Strikes me that if anything were to happen to me my accounts look a mare, but they all have purpose, Christmas, car, uni, spends, holiday etc. Maybe moaneydashboard would do it for me.

Do they do a dead data scrape or whatever the word is? Or do you have to give them your login details that's the bit I don't feel comfortable with with these aps.
I was never convinced we found all my Grandad's accounts, not to mention the odds and sods of notes hidden round the house.
Now I'm retired (officially as of today) when I get home I'm going to list all my ISA's Shares and accounts etc, I have been far too lax in this.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I was never convinced we found all my Grandad's accounts, not to mention the odds and sods of notes hidden round the house.
Now I'm retired (officially as of today) when I get home I'm going to list all my ISA's Shares and accounts etc, I have been far too lax in this.
I have another Excel sheet where I have listed our investments. I say ours but in fact I put everything in my Wife's name due to tax reasons.

Every time something matures or on anniversaries when interest is added we change it.

Also I have made a conscious effort and last year ensured all things such as utilities etc are in joint names so either of us can deal with the provider.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Congratulations on your retirement !
Old 1 Jul 19, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

I don’t use spreadsheets but I do have a book and record every penny we spend. When we get paid, I deduct all our direct debits and standing orders so I know exactly what we have left. I then put aside X amount per week for food, fuel and general living expenses. The rest is then split between numerous savings accounts, one for Christmas, one for holidays, one for house repairs, one for DD going to Uni in September.

I sound quite sad but I love my little book and I couldn’t live without it!

Also if there’s anything left from each weekly general spend, it either goes into the savings or we have an extra treat.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

This is what I used to do manually. Then gulp, lost the book !

Moved to Google docs so can't lose it again. It's still a manual update and reconciliation though. Getting lazy was wondering whether an app would do the same thing - pros and cons though.

I did love my accounts book though. More than spreadsheets!
Old 1 Jul 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Money dashboard uses open banking standards. So whilst you do log into your account when you set up the link, you are actually authenticating against your bank, not money dashboard. They then get a token which they can use to communicate with your back and be able to get read only data of all of the transactions and balances.

Spreadsheets aren't really necessary these days as these open banking aggregation sites can do so much more. I suppose if you have more time on your hands and need something to pass it, then they can have a purpose.

You can set up budgets, tag everything across multiple accounts, etc etc.

If any of the accounts doesn't have open banking standards set up yet then you can also set up manual accounts. If you have lots of these, then spreadsheets may well still have a place at this point in time.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post

How do aps like money dashboard etc cope with joint bank accounts?

And can you have a joint moaneydashboard account - or would all accounts have to be in joint names for that to work?

Edited at 04:27 PM.
Old 1 Jul 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Interesting question that I haven't looked at as have no joint accounts.

Looks like it is up to you help.moneydashboard/hc/e...nother-person-
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Interesting question that I haven't looked at as have no joint accounts.

Looks like it is up to you help.moneydashboard/hc/e...nother-person-
Thank you !