Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Apr 20, 05:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

We have grown herbs - basil, dill and parsley. They started life in an IKEA light planter (8 little pots with a light over them) and now are outside in a mini plastic greenhouse thing from lidl (can you tell I know a lot about gardening! ) We need to plant another set of them. I have been impressed that they are still going!

Here’s a picture:

I am so not green fingered but you have inspired me to get another lot planted today!

We have wild mint to that has a life of its own but is very useful in couscous recipes.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Charl_bb
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I've gone full on veggie grower, planted all-sorts but unsure when they will come out/be ready to pick! I'm not hopeful of growing much but my pea shoots came up the other day and I was beside myself with excitement!
Charl_bb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Charl_bb View Post
I've gone full on veggie grower, planted all-sorts but unsure when they will come out/be ready to pick! I'm not hopeful of growing much but my pea shoots came up the other day and I was beside myself with excitement!

Isn’t it lovely to see them grow!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Fantastic thread.
Gardening I’ve planted some pots up with bulbs and let type shrubs. Really excited to see some of the bulbs start to shoot.

I’ve not gone down the veg and herb route as one of our dogs has eaten them before- The long term plan is to fence off the back of the garden and have a mini orchard with veg beds but my ambitions far outweigh my skills!
Old 26 Apr 20, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
We have grown herbs - basil, dill and parsley. They started life in an IKEA light planter (8 little pots with a light over them) and now are outside in a mini plastic greenhouse thing from lidl (can you tell I know a lot about gardening! ) We need to plant another set of them. I have been impressed that they are still going!

Here’s a picture:

I am so not green fingered but you have inspired me to get another lot planted today!

We have wild mint to that has a life of its own but is very useful in couscous recipes.
I planted basil seeds yesterday (a first!). I’m now inspired to take rose cuttings to try to root them after reading this thread.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Also loving the caravan talk, especially sites. We have tended to stick with caravan club or caravan and camping sites but I’d like to branch out a bit.
Favourite places- Norfolk- we go between Sherringham and Cromer- just lovely. Last summer we swam in the sea every day.
Northumberland, we tend to go to a site near Embleton, again a lovely walk to the beach.
Other favourites include the lakes, Shropshire and of course North Yorkshire.
Last summer we went up to the Highlands of Scotland to a small site on the banks of Loch Naver it was so tranquil, an experience towing a 6 berth caravan down single track roads though!
Want to do Wales next. I fancy somewhere near Barmouth.
Old 26 Apr 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Pembrokeshire. Without a doubt, as it’s so unspoilt and never overcrowded even in high season. Beautiful coastline and lots of lovely walks. We’ve been going there years and often find a new hidden gem.

We also love the Cotswolds. Lots of pretty villages to visit. We stay at Adam Henson’s farm park (BBC Countryfile presenter) caravan park which is lovely for peace and quiet and countryside walks and had the farm park for children

We used to love Cornwall too when our boys were young but it’s too crowded now and very expensive.

Where is your favourite place to go?
Have you ever been to Angle? Everyone always say, oh, you mean Anglesea...no, angle. It is a lovely little village, one shop come post office the size of a living room, a really nice pub call the hibernia which does tasty meals, an unspoilt beach (it used to have a shop/cafe near the beach but last time we were there it had closed down-but that was about 9 years ago, used to visit annually as friends family have a static on the site there) with sandy parts and rock pools too. Very fond memories of going there. On the way there you have to drive through freshwater which is also a lovely long beach, and where they filmed the bit in Harry Potter with the house made of shells when he was looking for the different horcruxes.

Edited at 07:56 AM.
littlelish0544 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

We currently have new potatoes, broccoli, runner beans, carrots, kale, tomatoes, peppers, chillies and black currents on our garden. Love watching every sprout and grow.

We have also grown our plants from seeds for the first time. Going to try pricking them today. On last count we had 103 pots on our balcony 😳 (we have a large balcony).
Old 26 Apr 20, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

My list of sites is growing, some lovely places.
We have a folding camper, there don't seem to be that many about. A perfect compromise between tent and caravan. All mod cons and surprisingly roomy and warm and you can book a tent or caravan pitch!

eastfleet/
Here is another site we stay at in the heart of Dorset.

Edited at 08:21 AM.
greekgranny is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post

Here’s a picture:

I did try herbs a few years ago but one just grew crazy and overtook all the others in the planter 😂 So I think you’ve done the right thing by planting them individually

It’s lovely to just be able to pick the herbs to add to the cooking from your own garden though
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List