Notices

Old 1 Oct 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

CANCELLED 28/06/20 First attempt. Things missed. SFO, Monterey, PCH, S L Obispo, Seattle Vancouver.

We are a family of Husband, Wife and boys of 17 and 13. We love travel and particularly like multi centre, intensive vacations, either in the US or Europe. We are also totally theme parked out after 10 USA visits.

A theme parked out Family. August 2019.

We visited California in 2018. It was a disaster as the main attraction, the Pacific Coast highway was blocked by a mudslide. We resolved to return... and in Easter of 2020.

The infamous PCH Mudslide that took so long to sort out. In the end they built a new road over the top of it!

Our previous trip is subject of trippie ‘California N to South at Easter’ and may explain the planning for our itinerary and what would seem some very strange omissions.

I was at work and internet researching for flights to Larnaca next Summer (I am naughty). The best that I could find was £515pp with Thomas Cook(gulp!).
Just out of interest, I looked at into SFO and out of Vancouver during the Easter School Hols for next Easter. As said, I had missed the PCH and in addition, I have a former Army friend in Vancouver who I have not seen for 31 years, but keeps inviting me to visit. There it was! LHR to SFO on 30/03/20 and return from Vancouver to LHR on 10/04/20, Direct with BA at £395pp. That was too good to sneer at.. so I purchased it there and then after a call to my wife. (Shame I was on nights and she was in bed).
At this stage the planning had to begin and next morning I did the right thing, messaging Bill in Vancouver to warn him that after 31 years we would finally be coming. I hope that it was a pleasant surprise!.

I now had 11 days to divvy up, which as a return visit seems about right. It means we can see what we want to see before 3 nights with Bill at his place. I was wary of overstaying any welcome in Vancouver, figuring that if it went well, We could always return.

We sat down and worked out the ‘must sees’. We resolved to go no further south than San Luis Obispo as we did not like LA and figured we had reasonably well covered marvellous San Diego.
We settled on 3 nights in San Francisco. 2 nights in Monterey, 3 nights at the Madonna Inn, a flight to Seattle and a drive to Vancouver, crossing the border on passport. 3 nights to follow in Vancouver that will be entirely at the discretion of Bill.. (a mystery tour, if you like).

And now the finalised plan...

Friday 27 March .Drive up the A303 to Salisbury after the boys leave school/college and spend the night at Premier Inn.

Sat 28 March. A day looking round Salisbury and lunch with my son from my 1st marriage (Army RMP stationed at Bulford) before driving on to Chertsey and spending the night at Premier Inn.

Sunday 29 March. Either a day at Brooklands or Thorpe Park before we then drive to the Premier Inn at Bath Rd LHR.

Mon 30 March fly 1400-1700 LHR to SFO, BART to Embarcadero and taxi to Columbus Motor Inn where we have a 2 bedroom apartment. Possible walk down to Fishermen’s Wharf if not too tired.

Columbus Motor Inn

Tues 31 March. Hire bikes and cycle round San Francisco, taking in Golden gate park, Beach, etc if Mandie gets her way.. or over the bridge and out to Bonito Point if I get mine!
Night time trip to Alcatraz.

Alcatraz at night.

Wed 01 April (Mandie’s Birthday). The love bus SFO guided tour in an air cooled VW Camper playing 60s music etc. It takes in Haight Ashbury, which is important to me.

A love bus.
Evening, haunted and violent SFO tour from Union Sq. My son Matt is intrigued by the Zodiac Killer.

A haunted tour.
Thurs 02 April. Cable car to Powell where we will catch the BART to SFO Int and pick up our hire car.
Out through San Jose and Knotts Landing to Monterey where we check in to the Portolo Hotel.

Portolo Hotel.
Evening on Cannery Row.

Fri 03 April. A close to shore Kayak hire to take in Sealions , Otters etc before possibly a Whale watching trip, dependent on what is currently being seen. (We have not yet seen Blues or Orcas and never seen a Humpback actually breaching).
Evening on Cannery Row.

Sat 04 April. A long leisurely drive along 17 mile and then onwards with certain stops at Big Sur (hope to see whales), Pfeiffer, Bixby Bridge etc etc. If going well, a stop at Hearst Castle.. if not, then straight on to the Awesome Madonna Inn. Dinner.

17 Mile Drive

Big Sur

Bixby Bridge

The awesome, restrained Madonna Inn.

The Madonna Inn dining area.

The San Francisco Suite in which we are booked.

Sun 05 April. A look at Pismo and Monarch Valley if any are still there, Pismo pier and back up to Hearst if we missed it.

Monarch valley, Pismo.

Hearst Castle

Mon 06 April. Mandie goes horse riding with Dan and Matt. Afternoon free..

Tues 07 April. Drop hire car at SL Obispo airport and fly...
1150-1253 to SFO
1450-1830 to Seattle Tacoma and pick up hire car. and then hotfoot it to Langley BC.

Wednesday 08 April in Bill’s hands

Vancouver.

Thurs 09 April, in Bill’s hands.

Friday 10 April. In Bill’s hands during the day.
1800 drop hire car at Vancouver Int.
Fly 2055-1455 YVR to LHR .
Go to Premium Inn, Bath Rd and crash out for the night.

Sunday 12 April. Pick up car and drive home to Penryn.

This vacation would not suit everybody, but as I said, we saw most of the ‘must sees’ last time and this is about covering things we missed (plus the long awaited reunion in Vancouver). It is a fair bit to cram in, but hopefully rather relaxing!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:47 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sounds fantastic! Could you post details of your love bus tour please? We're hoping to return to San Francisco in 2021 as part of our Hawaii trip (only Hawaiian cruise booked so far), we've not really explored Haight Ashbury and DH being a guitarist would like to do so.

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

San Francisco Love Tour. You will find it under a google search.

It is on tripadvisor and viator, costing around £53pp. It also goes down the Lombard Zigzags!

Looks great fun, eclectic and an interesting way to see the sites.

OVERVIEW FROM VIATOR.

Hop on a ‘70s-era VW bus and get to know the hippie past and hipster vibe that make up San Francisco today. Starting and ending at Fisherman’s Wharf, this 2-hour sightseeing tour takes you around the city, including Chinatown, North Beach, the Castro, the Mission, downtown and more. See the homes of The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix, while listening to ‘60s classics. So settle into a neon-blue seat and dig your shoes into groovy shag carpet. Each bus accommodates up to just six people. 2-hour San Francisco sightseeing tour See the city’s landmarks aboard a colorful 1970s Volkswagen bus Wind through Fisherman’s Wharf, Chinatown, North Beach, the Castro, the Mission, downtown and more Travel on streets that larger vehicles cannot pass through Enjoy photo ops at the Golden Gate Bridge Hear entertaining stories and history from an informative guide This small-group tour is limited to 12 people (6 people per bus), ensuring a more memorable experience

Read more about San Francisco Small-Group Love Tour in 70s Hippie Van 2019 - viator/tours/San-Fra...8P2?mcid=56757

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:27 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

Sounds a great trip, I did the Californian coast years ago with an American friend. It was great, I loved Monterey , Carmel, Santa Barbara etc. I started off in San Jose. (Flew in to SF-Cisco ) did the Hollywood thing. I'm interested to see pics of how it has changed.

I think I recognise the lone Cypress tree in one of your pics 🤔
Following with interest
Old 1 Oct 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thank you

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 20, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Regrettably cancelled and a fresh vacation booked for Aug of 2020... pre trip is on the thread.