Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 5 Aug 11, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post

After our last villa problems ( kindly sorted out by dibb villa owners) my main issue would be communication between the owner and myself. I would not hesitate to book a dibb villa but sadly can not due to our needs. I now look for pool hoist and wet room. Of course like to have a nice looking villa as well. We paid quite a bit for our villa for next year and could of had £600 cheaper but the communication swung it for us.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 11, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post

This is an interesting discussion. I just went through a search for a for a home in Phoenix, Arizona area for February and couldn't believe the poor communication of some owners and how long it took some to just get back to me. Communication, for me, is the biggest issue! I like to rent from someone that is upfront with me from the beginning and gets back to me quickly when I have a question.

Sandy
Old 5 Aug 11, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
tabbycat
Apprentice Imagineer

I'd be put off if a villa owner charged on occupancy.
I believe it should be the same price however many people are in it. As a family of four and having to pay for the cost of flights for my children and food and attraction tickets etc etc, I would be quite annoyed to find I'm being charged more in the same villa as 2 people, therefore i wouldn't book it.
Old 5 Aug 11, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
misaps
Very Serious Dibber

misaps's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'll always ask about availability and charges for the dates enquired even though I've checked prior on the website; the reason being firstly - someone may have booked / enquired about the same dates before the website calendar has been updated (sometimes you never know how often this is done) and secondly I like to have a personal quote of cost, both parties then know where they stand.

As for enquiring and then saying it's out of their price range, one can only say there are some funny people in this world
misaps is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 11, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post

We are a party of 10, (6A 4CH) so when looking for villas we always discount the ones that, despite been 5 or 6 bedroom, only have comfy seating for 5 or so people in the family room or 6 in the dinning room/breakfast room. We all like to sit together for meals so adequate dinning seating is a must, both inside and pool side.
Also would discount those without ice maker on fridge or those that have neighbouring pool practically on top of you!
Also like to see a floor plan so I can work out who would sleep in which bedroom.
Am also a bit fussy on decor, if it's flowery or coloured carpets it's a no go for me!
Old 5 Aug 11, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post

When villa owners advertise plus Tax am I right in thinking that American citizens can claim this tax back on their Tax return Or have I got that so so wrong
Old 5 Aug 11, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

If I loved a villa and it looked perfect then I might go to the trouble of coverting the currency, but I really would prefer to see a price in GBP, with or without the USD price as well by all means.

I am another who likes to see the floor plan, as sometimes it's hard to make out from just the photos. One I'm looking at has impressed me with the options offered for young kids, such as strollers, bedrail and stairgate but of course that's fairly specific. The availability calendar is a very important facility for me, and I do like to see reviews (positive, recent ones!) too.

I've only contacted a few owners so far, some have been friendlier than others in their response and must admit I lean more towards the friendlier ones as I'd feel more comfortable dealing with them.

My biggest issue at the moment is that my budget allows either a v nice villa in a further away location (from Kissammee, not Disney) or a v close villa that is not quite so luxurious. Of course the villas that I've seen that match both, have already been booked up so I've learnt that lesson now! I did hope that 6 months in advance was enough but I can see the error of my ways now :o So quite often I like the villa but don't book it simply because it's too far out and some of our party want to be near to Old Town Kissimmee
VicStar is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 11, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Frontal
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post
When villa owners advertise plus Tax am I right in thinking that American citizens can claim this tax back on their Tax return Or have I got that so so wrong
A very good question to ask, but unfortunately for the millions of Americans, the answer is no.

There is no federal sales tax (VAT in the UK), but instead each state imposes it's own sales tax level (6% in Florida) that varies from state to state.

Americans are used to buying products and services and then adding on the relevant percentage of sales tax.

The interesting point here is that if you buy something via the internet from another state, for example Amazon, then you do not pay sales tax.

There is talk of a national sales tax, but probably will never be implemented.
Old 6 Aug 11, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Frontal View Post
A very good question to ask, but unfortunately for the millions of Americans, the answer is no.
There is no federal sales tax (VAT in the UK), but instead each state imposes it's own sales tax level (6% in Florida) that varies from state to state.

Americans are used to buying products and services and then adding on the relevant percentage of sales tax.

The interesting point here is that if you buy something via the internet from another state, for example Amazon, then you do not pay sales tax.

There is talk of a national sales tax, but probably will never be implemented.
Thanks for that I wasn't sure if it was right.
This Tax thing is messing with my head I know about the Florida sales tax but I have also seen add 6% tourist tax so a tourist tax of 6% and a sales tax of 6% = 12% on top of a quote of £1500 for 2 weeks is an extra £180 which would be a bit of a shock for some who like me don't read the small print .

Like I said TAXES do my head in
Old 6 Aug 11, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Frontal
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post
Thanks for that I wasn't sure if it was right.
This Tax thing is messing with my head I know about the Florida sales tax but I have also seen add 6% tourist tax so a tourist tax of 6% and a sales tax of 6% = 12% on top of a quote of £1500 for 2 weeks is an extra £180 which would be a bit of a shock for some who like me don't read the small print .

Like I said TAXES do my head in
I must apologise that I forgot to mention tourist tax in the grand scheme of things.

As well as state sales tax (6% in Florida), each county can also require a "tourism development tax".

To make it even more confusing, each county has different tax rates. In Lake where we are it is 4%, in Polk it is 5%, in Osceola it is 6% and Orange it is 5%.

As much as we all like to complain about the good old HMRC, in the US the ax system is far more confusing and I haven't started to talk about the IRS for income tax.

I would think that the majority of Dibb owners will be giving you an all inclusive quote that includes all taxes.