Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 22 Apr 12, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

☆ First Time To New York ☆ Day 6 - MoMA and Bubba Gumps

Thursday 16th February

Today was sadly our last day, as we were catching an early (8am) flight the next morning. We had decided to catch the early flight as we hoped to avoid the crippling jetlag that we had experienced the last few times we had visited orlando, and Im pleased to say that it worked a treat!

So today we planned to walk up 5th Ave to the Museum of Modern Art. We had a lazy morning which enabled me to pack a few things ready for the journey home, and left the hotel about 10.00. We decided to stop at McDonalds for a quick breakfast. We all had a Big Breakfast which is essentially the same as the ones here, with the addition of a 'biscuit' which was more like a scone. the thing that was different however, was the drinks! I had a delicious caramel mocha latte type drink (cant remember its exact name!) which was amazing and cost only $1.29 - I wished I had discovered it earlier in the week, as I had been having Stabucks latte's every day at $4.75 each! The kids were given empty cups so that they could get a fizzy drink from the soda machine, which was amazing! We stood looking at it in awe (we are so sad!) and a staff member came over to chat to us and explain how to use the machine, and what all the flavours were. he told us that there were 135 flavours in the soda machine, which makes our choice of about 4 in the UK McD's look really measly! You touch the screen for the brand that you want, it then brings up other screens with a multitude of flavour choices.

The kids settles on cherry vanilla coke, and vanilla ice cream mountain dew (known as mello yello) - both were delicious and were polished off quickly, so before we left we refilled with raspberry coke and peach sprite!

So strolled up 5th Ave, past Rockefeller Plaza, popping into shops for a browse. Pete was eager to get to MoMA as he is a fan of modern art (I have more traditional tastes) and we soon reached the entrance at 53rd St. We checked our coats and bags into the cloakroom (free, and no tipping permitted) and grabbed a map to explore.

Please understand that this is just my opinion, and I am probably a complete philistine, but whilst I enjoyed some of the art we saw, some of it was plain ridiculous! I will let the pictures speak for themselves...

A gorgeous Picasso

A Rembrandt, really lovely

This Jackson Pollock was enormous, and I liked it

I dont know who this artist was, but it was a lovely sculpture

Then things went downhill with the burnt frying pan... I have this art in my kitchen!

...wheel on a stool...

and my personal highlight... The Blank canvas!

The place was full of the most random 'installations' and I think Pete was becoming embarrassed with my huffing and puffing and murmurings of 'what a load of twaddle'. After spending several minutes admiring a fire extinguisher, before realising that it wasnt art, it was genuinely just the fire extinguisher, we decided to call it a day!

We went back to the hotel to finish the packing, charge up gadgets for the journey home and complete the computerised check out. We asked whether we needed to pre arrange a taxi for the early trip to the airport (we planned to leave at 5am) but were reassured that there are always taxi's available on 42nd St, no matter what the time is.

After getting changed, we decided to walk along to Times Sq, and have dinner at Bubba Gumps, which is a restaurant we have always wanted to visit in Orlando, but had never managed to do. As it was quite early, only about 6.30, we were seated within 5 minutes and we had a great table overlooking Times Sq.

The food was delicious and the service was great. Our meal came to about $70 for the 4 of us, and we thoroughly enjoyed it, it was a perfect meal for our last night.

We then went for a last stroll around times Sq, soaking up the atmosphere. There are a lot of people on Times Sq who want to tell you a joke, pose for a picture etc, in exchange for a dollar, and generally we politely said no thank you which was fine, however there was one chap on our last night who was genuinely really lovely and funny, so he told us some funny stories and jokes in exchange for a couple of dollars, and he posed for a picture.

Sadly it was then time to head back to the hotel for the last time, as the next day we were going home.
Old 25 Apr 12, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
We also had a daytime flight back from JFK at 0800, and although it was an early start, it meant that we weren't too tired for the drive back up from Heathrow to Wigan, and definitely no jet lag!
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 12, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
A fab last day. Bubba Gumps - yum!
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 12, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Another great day!
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 12, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Fieryannie
Imagineer

Bubba Gumps & Time Square! Fab

xxx
Animal Kingdom Lodge - HRH - Aug/Sept 2012
All Star Music Resort - June/July 2009
Fieryannie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 12, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsbigbeak
Imagineer

Sounds you had a very day x

1st time POFQ Aug/Sep 2012- 2 weeks -2nd time Rosen inn,POFQ 3 weeks-3rd time NYC,Canada,DC,Rosen inn, Coranado springs 5weeks-4th time Vegas,San Fransisco,Hollywood, Anaheim & NYC 3 weeks - 5th time,Rosen inn international,Disney all star music resort 3 weeks
mrsbigbeak is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 12, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
hross42877
Imagineer

Great read!

Holiday Inn I-Drive (Honeymoon!) Oct2003 /Quality Inn Plaza Feb 2005
Sheraton Studio City International Drive Oct 2010/2012/2013
Animal Kingdom Kidani Village Oct 2014/2016/2018/2023
Atlantis Palm Dubai? 2024
hross42877 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 12, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
sweetemotion
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 114
Wonderful pictures. The rembrandt is actually Van Gough. Much nicer than the other "art" in there though lol Would love to visit nyc one day x

WDW - 96, 99, 00, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 17
DLP - 98, 01, 02, 10 DLR - 11, 12, 14, 18 15
Las Vegas - 11, 12, 13x2, 14, 18x2
WDW Cast Member 17 - 18 14 U.S. States & Counting!
sweetemotion is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 12, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
HakunaMatata
Helping Minnie

Great day, but it's so sad that it is your last... Bubba gumps looks fab, we really loved the one at city walk in Orlando

Glenbrook villas 2009
Highgrove villas 2011
AKL and HRH 2019
Should have been AoA 2020
We're trying again...Highlands reserve villas 2022

HakunaMatata is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 12, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

Blank canvas, whats that about !? Lol at the fire extinguisher ! and what is your DS doing to those glasses A great last day,shame it was the last though.
Infinity Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List