Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 20 Jan 14, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
lottie89
Imagineer

Grown Up Schmown Up, April/May 2013 - Day 22

< Back to day 21 - Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom

Watch the day 22 video HERE (coming soon) >>

Last full day! Noooooo. And if you have read yesterday's trippy, you may be able to guess where we spent the majority of it... in bed!

That's right, we got up at 4pm! We weren't asleep that entire time, just too hungover to move. We spent the whole day watching TV, and I sent Ed down to Roaring Forks to collect burgers and other general greasy items.

We didn't feel too much like we'd wasted the day because a) we'd been so busy on all of the other 13 days b) we had such a good time the night before and c) chilling in a Disney hotel room watching TV is still much better than being at work.

So anyway, fast forward to 4pm, and we shall get this day started.

Obviously our final day was to be spent in MK. As we walked up Main Street I tried so hard to put it to the back of my mind that we were going home the next day - living in the moment is much easier said than done!

A selection of hilariously awkward PP photos. We knew they would look silly but the photographer was having such a lovely time directing us that we just went with it.

We picked up some FPs for BTMR and then headed to Splash, but unfortunately it was broken so we went to the Haunted Mansion instead. The queue, for the first time since we'd be there, was right out past the end of the shaded bit and out of the HM entrance. The heat was almost unbearable because we couldn't get out of it! Luckily the queue moved at a reasonable speed and we were soon in the nice and cool stretching room. We don't get bored of HM, it's such a classic!

It's a Small World was next - we had to, it was the last day!

It was time for our BTMR FPs next, but lo and behold, we were just about to get on the train and it broke down! They spent about 10 minutes getting us all out - we had to step through that train that was in the station - and then gave us all FPs for any attraction. We really hoped that it started working again that day as it was our only chance!

With Splash still broken down too, we decided to head back to WL to get changed for our last ADR at Citricos. I wore my white Hollister dress that Ed bought me for my birthday in 2012 - at the time we had recently booked and I had planned to wear it at a signature restaurant even back then (planner extremo).

We left ourselves plenty of time to get to Citricos and have a drink first, but WL pulled its old 'here's every bus except the one you want' trick and we ended up being 15 minutes late which was a shame. The buses to DTD all stop at GF on the way, which is reeeeeally annoying when you want to get to DTD, but quite handy if you're going to GF.

We checked in and apologised for being late, but they were fine with it, and we were shown to a lovely table next to the window, overlooking the immaculate GF grounds. Citricos is a really beautiful restaurant, and although it's not on the water like Narcoossee's, the views are still really pretty. Neither of us eat seafood, and we thought it probably wouldn't be worth going to Narcoossee's just for the setting/hype, and I think we made the right choice.

The menu

Our server, Malak, was very nice but he seemed a bit like his head wasn't in the game that night, he was a little bit away with the fairies. He was perfectly friendly though, and we'd rather a slightly forgetful waiter than a rude one.

I obviously felt it was ok to wear my tiara to a signature meal...

Choosing

I ordered a tropical mojito and Ed had a margarita (back on it), and we both also ordered Diet Cokes as our DDP drinks, but Malak forgot to bring them. He also forgot to bring our bread service! We noticed all the tables around us had a basket of bread and we had to remind him. I'm sure it was because he had forgotten and not because he was trying to fob us off. Well I hope not. I think he felt a bit bad so he tried to engage us in conversation by asking us what football team we support - unfortunately we know nothing about football (when I was little I was obsessed with Arsenal for a few years while my uncle was a season ticket holder, but I literally haven't followed football since Dennis Bergkamp played for them), so it was a bit awkward. I suppose the only questions you can ask a Brit in the US are 'what team do you support' and 'have you met the Queen?', and unfortunately for Malak he went for the wrong one (Ed has actually met Queeniepops).

My mojito

Ed's marg

Anyway, onto the food! I had arancini followed by 'chicken' - unfortunately I can't remember what came with the chicken, but I know it was lovely! Ed went for asparagus salad and then short ribs, which he said was really good as well. We'd definitely recommend Citricos if you prefer a Mediterranean/Italian menu over a seafoody one.

I had an incredible warm chocolate banana torte for pudding, it was just the right side of too rich - one of the best desserts of the trip! Ed went for his usual cheesecake ("lemon-scented") which he said was delicious.

Ed's starter

My starter

My main, that's creamed corn under the chicken

Ed's main

Ed's pud

My pud *drool*

continued in part 2...
California ~ 2015

Edited at 10:00 AM.
lottie89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 14, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
lottie89
Imagineer

...continued from part 1

As we were eating, Malak came along and took Ed's cocktail off of the table and he still had half left! He didn't hear us call after him, but when he came back we told him and he gave Ed a new one for free which was nice

Overall we had a lovely last meal at Citricos, the food and setting were fabulous, just would've been nice if our server was a little more attentive.

Now it was time for our last ever visit to MK (well, last on this trip).

We hopped on the monorail and sloooowly walked up Main Street, popping in and out of the shops, and generally taking in all of the sights, smells and sounds. We knew we wanted to buy ourselves a little something for our hypothetical flat (now a reality!), and eventually settled on two engraved high balls, one with Mickey and Ed's name, and one with Minnie and my name. We kept them safely wrapped up when we got home and didn't look at them again until we moved in together, and now we use them all the time

When we came out of the shop, Celebrate the Magic was just starting, so we stood in the middle of Main Street to watch it and Wishes. I cried, as usual, but actually not as much as I thought I would! I had expected to be a crumpled heap on the floor, so I was quite proud of myself.

Starlight, starrrbright

We managed to use our FPs from earlier on BTMR afterwards, which was now up and running again. We love this ride at night, but we never managed to get on it during Wishes like we'd hoped! In DLP in 2006 (when it had Wishes) I was riding BTMR during the show with my friends from my dance school - we were already on a massive high from performing that day, and I remember feeling sooo happy realising that Disney could still be just as magical when I was 17 as when I was 7.

*massive emosh digression ahoy, sick buckets at the ready*

In 2003 I went with my family to DLP, I was 13, nearly 14, and your standard hormonal teenager. I'd always had loads of friends, did well at school, had silly little boyfriends, avoided cliques and in general been a pretty happy child. However, I was at that age when the most important thing in your entire life is to fit in with your peers, it literally feels like a life or death situation (although I managed to stick to my don't smoke rule, and to this day have never had a cigarette). There were these girls in my year who were 'cool', they hung out at the skatepark and knew all of the 'fit' boys at the boys school, and my best friend and I were desperate to get into their gang. We were over the moon when they started talking to us on MSN (remember MSN!?) and we got invited to cool parties and things. Anyway, the night before I went to DLP, I was on MSN and two of these girls started a conversation with me. It started off normally, but then they started calling me horrible names, calling me ugly, a bitch, a 'poohead' (yep), slag, and generally being really really horrible. My mum walked into my room and found me crying, and I sat on her lap while we both watched this torrent of abuse from two idiotic teenagers. She obviously wanted to say something but that would've been social suicide so I wouldn't let her (screaming may have been involved). I had never been bullied before, I'd always had lots of friends from different friendship groups and I just couldn't work out what I had done to upset these cool girls (it later turned out that a boy who had asked me to dance with him at the disco was one of their ex-boyfriends, and therefore I was a slag, hilarious looking back).

Anyway, my entire trip to DLP was ruined, I was sooo blue and I remember thinking 'that's it, I know what the adult world is like now, the magic is gone'. The whole holiday I was jealous of my younger siblings who were having an amazing time, but as much as I tried, I couldn't embrace it, Disney seemed like silly kids' stuff. I was now a jaded grown up who knew everything about the hardships of life (lolz). I was just worrying about what kind of rumours these girls might be spreading about me back at home.

So when I went back to DLP in 2006, aged 17, with my dance school, while I was excited, I was also really cautious as I had felt so bad the last time I was there. Anyway, the buzz of performing on stage after months and months of rehearsals, with loads of my best friends from dance school, was enough to erase everything. After the show, we ran around the park on a total high, hugging characters, riding the rides and singing Disney songs. And it was that ride on BTMR during Wishes that I realised Disney was a special part of my childhood that would continue long into adulthood, and my teenaged blip was just that, a blip.

It's a really long story, and I know many teenagers have to endure a lot worse bullying than I did, but it really is one of my most vivid memories!

I wouldn't go back to being 13-17 again if you paid me, I much prefer being 24 and not giving a monkeys if anyone thinks I'm silly for wearing a tiara or watching back to back Disney movies on a Sunday afternoon.

*massive digression over*.

SO, we didn't quite get to ride BTMR during Wishes, but it was magical all the same.

Splash was also running again so we decided to get into the standby line. There was a storm in the distance so they kept threatening to close it, but luckily we managed to get to the front before they did. It's really strange riding it at night instead of in the blazing sunshine!

We realised we hadn't seen the Country Bear Jamboree (we do like to be thorough), but unfortunately it was closed so we saved it for next time and headed over to HM. The queue moved really slowly but we eventually made it to the front. Even though the ride is the same day or night, it is slightly more creepy knowing it's dark outside.

We wanted to go on Peter Pan, but the queue was 35 minutes so we decided to leave it and went to Space Mountain instead. The queue for this was 45 minutes, but we just decided to go for it as we didn't want to spend the whole evening just wandering around looking for short queues. The queue in the end took over an hour! It was the only time on the whole holiday that we had had to queue for that long, and it just happened to be our last ride.

This is a classic, don't even know who that guy in the front is but he makes the photo. Ed missed the camera AGAIN.

We had really wanted to go on Ariel, but there wasn't time, so we headed back down Main Street, picking up our new glasses on the way, and sloooooooowly walked out of the park. I was basically doing pigeon steps because I just didn't want to leave.

Last PP pic

When we got out of the gates I was holding it together, but then the music from Up came on and that was it. I shed a tear as I looked over my shoulder at the twinkly train station, promising myself that we would be back as soon as we could afford it.

We got on our last WL boat and tried to appreciate every last moment, such a sad time - it's a shame that every Florida holiday has to have a last day!
California ~ 2015

Edited at 04:49 PM.
lottie89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 14, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Sounds like you had a great day, once you got going and despite the forgetful server. I feel you pain of that last walk out of the parks, such a sad feeling.
spencem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 14, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post
florida smiles
Serious Dibber

I have really enjoyed your trip report, and I know what you mean about those awkward teenage years. It's so much better being older and not caring what anyone thinks. My DD is 16 and I try to tell her this all the time. She dances too, and her dancing friends are the ones she's the closest to and the most loyal. Maybe it's a dancing thing?

Anyway, I'm degressing now! Leaving MK on your last night always so sad and everyone gets choked up. Such an amazing place and such a fab holiday, thanks for sharing xx

P.S. Love your white Hollister dress.

Love Victoria
(Florida makes me smile! )
florida smiles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 14, 01:20 AM  
Link to this Post

Oh no it's the last day! Love your PP pics, so cute!

I'm sad your trip report is almost done, I've loved reading along!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 14, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Hahaha what an amazing long lie! Sounds like bliss actually

Your meal sounded really nice, but yeah shame your sever was a bit of a space cadet! :/

I love all your pics at MK (your dress is v pretty btw) and you got lot's done in the end!

Boo hiss to those horrible bullies from your teenage years! Kids are so damn mean to each other. Glad you never lost the Disney magic permanently though!

I feel your pain leaving the MK for the final time, I sobbed last year too! It's so upsetting! Booooo!

Great day and thanks for sharing. Will be sad that the next day will be the last one!
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 14, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post

lol - 4pm Lottie?! A sign of a good night though.

Shame about SM and BTMR breaking down. Glad you got to ride all the Mountains later on though.

Your server at Citricos sounds a little like ours at Narcoossee's - lovely, but verrrry forgetful, which kind of grated after a while. Dinner looks delicious though.

Sorry to hear about that 'not so happy' time in your life - kids can be very cruel and I hope those involved sincerely regret their actions now (not that that excuses anything).

Anyway, back to happier times - I've loved following yours and Ed's adventures and look forward to hearing about what you got up to on your last day.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 14, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
gtyrel10
VIP Dibber

4pm is very impressive, i can't believe after 2 bottles of Rum you even managed to get out the hotel room i would have been asleep! I have to say you both look super fresh and healthy the next day though.

I have loved your trip report it has been brilliant, so gutted its all finished now can really feel your pain on that last day! But yeh for your next trip it will be around in no time.

Gemma xx
gtyrel10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 14, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
girl_from_mars
Trying for More Ears

I'm so sad your trippie is coming to an end! I actually feel sad reading it! Glad you overcame the horrible bullies - they clearly didn't know what they were talking about as you seem lovely!

Disney's Saratoga Springs Disneymoon (May 2014)
Disney's Saratoga Springs Big Fat Family Trip - Table for 16? (July 2015)
girl_from_mars is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 14, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

Aaw, last day We can all relate to that horrible feeling of leaving MK not knowing how soon you'll be back

Thank you for including the digression, I agree those early teenage years suck and I'm already keeping my fingers crossed that my two girls (almost 8 and 6) don't have too much of a struggle through it all. I have a feeling that like you (and me) Disney will also be a huge part of their teenage years and can hopefully ease some of the rubbish-ness of being a teenage girl

Citricos looks fab, we had it on the list this time and switched it out for Kouzzina but I'm keeping an eye on menus and it may return to our long list of ADRs. It is disappointing when Signature servers aren't great though. We had fab servers at Narcoossee's, Jiko and Cali Grill in 2012 and then a really dodgy one at Flying Fish (he also forgot the bread service and we didn't realise until after the meal .) It definitely impacted on our enjoyment of the meal but we are returning to FF this year and keeping our fingers crossed for a more capable and professional server

Have really enjoyed your trippie, sad that it's almost finished
moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List