Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Apr 18, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

garden landscaping -work now complete!

*edit*
its done, see the timelapse video on page 4!

--

so this is one of our gardens (we're on a corner plot on a massive hill) - from the back patio, you go up a couple of steps onto the grass. the house is built on a hill, so theres a very good chance theres a lot of (solid?) rock under the grass

what i'm thinking is getting someone in to flatten it all, bring it all down to one level, fit a patch of artificial lawn and make it all look nice. i'm guessing there will be some sort of digger involved to remove it and a truckload or two of soil and rock, but will that be enough to break the rock down to shift? how much (ballpark figure) would this be likely to cost, is it even easily doable? I've not measured it, but im guessing its around 10m x 5m?

any other thoughts/suggestions/ideas?

Edited at 09:50 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

This is my sister’s back garden so substantially smaller than yours and it cost them £7.5K 😳. Personally I think they paid way over the odds but I’m no expert. They are in Tunbridge Wells

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 18, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
This is my sister’s back garden so substantially smaller than yours and it cost them £7.5K 😳. Personally I think they paid way over the odds but I’m no expert. They are in Tunbridge Wells
cheers,

thats at least twice as much as i was hoping to spend, so probably wont bother! would rather get a new bathroom and have the rest left over towards the kitchen when we do it in a year or two...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 18, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

My parents had theirs done last year, nearly died when they told me it was 14k, it is amazing though.
Old 28 Apr 18, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
globedust
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We had ours levelled and landscaped, although not as steep as yours. Total cost was £4800. It’s been worth it to us.
globedust is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 18, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

We had ours levelled and landscaped and paid £4000 (east midlands). Pictures are on my other post...garden on a slope
2018 - Villa in Davenport
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 18, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz Lear
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
Mobile

That cost 5k in the North’s East
Old 28 Apr 18, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post

We paid £4300 for ours last May, area landscaped was all grass. Price included new fence on right side. Block paving below step (on recent pics) was already down.

[APP]
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

*bump*

looking at this again, got a guy coming round later to quote to dig it all out and level it, but i've done some slightly more accurate calculations. the whole square including the cutout is approx 8m x 8m x 0.5m so even with the additional bit in the slope, we're looking at around 30-40 cubic metres. an 8 wheeler grab lorry does approx 15 cubic metres per load, so maybe 3 lorryloads? ive seen rough quotes for around £200ish per lorryload, does that sound about right?

so my current very rough estimate is 5 days of guy with a digger to clear it, and 3 grab lorry removals?

so £750 for the removal, and ~900 for the guy and digger (£180 per day is what he told me on the phone). does that sound reasonable, or am i way out on my calculations?
(not taking into account any sort of fencing/structural support type work)

so i've got a blank canvas, should i be getting him to quote to lay concrete to get a level blank canvas, or should i just get him to quote for his part and look elsewhere at doing that sort of stuff? how much would is cost to concrete an 8m sq patio area?

im thinking plain concrete base, then i can look at getting areas done properly later (some sort of resin patio area?) once i know how big the shed/greenhouse/cooking areas will be. once thats all mapped out, the rest will either be seating or possibly a patch of fake grass. probably a bit of both.

Edited at 05:34 PM.
Old 2 Jun 20, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would certainly be asking him what a day is to him. We have had workmen in whose idea of a day is arriving at 10 and leaving at 3 ! If he gives a price for the full cost of labour he is more likely to get on with it and not mess you about.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List