Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 18 Jan 20, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Dla

DD DLA due to run out next week, i phoned them to see whats happening, as l sent renewal pack off in October, which they received 8th oct. i was told that they now change how they work it, as they dont even look at renewals until a week or so before, and if they need to contact drs etc it will be stopped until they get extra info back. I did send lots of letters and supporting evidence, so hopefully they shouldnt need too much more, but this seems a bit unfair on those who send in renewals early, i did so as DD has had extra diagnoses and did so to update them. It just seems a little unfair that this wont get looked at until renewal. ☹️
Old 18 Jan 20, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
jollys
Getting Excited

sorry ive no help but do agree its unfair, they sent my daughters renewal out 6 months before it was due asking for it to be sent back asap then didnt look into it till 2 weeks before it was due to end
jollys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Yes, this happened with my sister. Nightmare for my 80+ year parents who insist on sorting everything out for her theirselves.
Old 18 Jan 20, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jollys View Post
sorry ive no help but do agree its unfair, they sent my daughters renewal out 6 months before it was due asking for it to be sent back asap then didnt look into it till 2 weeks before it was due to end
It is bad that they dont seem to have any timescale to deal with this, i bet if it was to inform them you no longer needed support it would be acted upon immediately. I wonder if i should have put in for a "change of circumstances" instead.

What seems so unfair is a boy in her class, who is severely disabled has had his stopped while they get more evidence, this is not a new claim and a continuation of a known deteriorating condition, so quite shocking really.
Old 18 Jan 20, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Yes, this happened with my sister. Nightmare for my 80+ year parents who insist on sorting everything out for her theirselves.
Sorry to hear this too, can your parents get help from a carers hub type place with filling out forms?
Old 23 Jan 20, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Sorry to hear this too, can your parents get help from a carers hub type place with filling out forms?
They could but they won't. Too stubborn and independent .
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I got letter today, downgraded from high care to middle rate, so off for Mandatory reconsideration, another 8-9 month wait!
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I got letter today, downgraded from high care to middle rate, so off for Mandatory reconsideration, another 8-9 month wait!
So sorry to hear this, the MR shouldn’t take that long, however, it could take that long if it has to go to the appeal stage.

CAB can help with the MR/appeal if you need help. Obviously there is no guarantee but they have a high level of success on appeals and it’s sometimes just nice to have a helping hand.
It can take a couple of weeks to get an appointment to see a CAB benefit adviser though, and a MR needs to be returned within 4 weeks, so if you did want help try to visit your local branch drop in session asap so they can get you an appointment. Good luck
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
So sorry to hear this, the MR shouldn’t take that long, however, it could take that long if it has to go to the appeal stage.

CAB can help with the MR/appeal if you need help. Obviously there is no guarantee but they have a high level of success on appeals and it’s sometimes just nice to have a helping hand.
It can take a couple of weeks to get an appointment to see a CAB benefit adviser though, and a MR needs to be returned within 4 weeks, so if you did want help try to visit your local branch drop in session asap so they can get you an appointment. Good luck
Thanks, i rang them today and they logged the MR, and i will send in more letters etc. It is all so tiring along with having to cope with all her additional needs. She really is struggling at the moment as her keyworker has retired and she is adjusting to change, not sleeping etc, we reverted back to melatonin tonight as needing to get hold of some sort of normal after christmas etc. They said MR should take 5-6 weeks. She read out the decision maker notes, which were a standard reply, they didnt look at stuff i sent last time, so i shall resend that also, all 18 pages. For the first time in ages she is asleep before 10
Old 27 Jan 20, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Thanks, i rang them today and they logged the MR, and i will send in more letters etc. It is all so tiring along with having to cope with all her additional needs. She really is struggling at the moment as her keyworker has retired and she is adjusting to change, not sleeping etc, we reverted back to melatonin tonight as needing to get hold of some sort of normal after christmas etc. They said MR should take 5-6 weeks. She read out the decision maker notes, which were a standard reply, they didnt look at stuff i sent last time, so i shall resend that also, all 18 pages. For the first time in ages she is asleep before 10
It is incredibly stressful, especially as most people in your situation have so much to deal with without the added pressure of appealing these (often incorrect) decisions. It’s time consuming and draining 😔 It annoys me how often people say that it’s obvious that they didn’t read all the information 😡

I do volunteer at CAB so I do see this far too often. Again, if you do feel it’s too much to cope with alone, CAB can help with the forms and with general support and advice. I know some prefer to do it themselves and that’s maybe your choice though

I hope the MR is successful for your daughter. Please let me know how you get on xx
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List