Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 9 Mar 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancingducks
Excited about Disney

Priority With Suitcases

Hello

Recently came back from MCO into Manchester with Virgin Atlantic, teenage son (Autism, developmental delay) had meltdown as our suitcases took nearly an hour to appear on the baggage escalator.

We had prepared for this eventuality (pictures, games to play, tablet to watch, food if hungry), didn't help. We've travelled quite a lot to Florida and back, last couple of trips has been like this re baggage.

VA state they don't have a system where they can help prioritise out luggage to come off as early as possible, son is adamant a previous airline we used did this for us. Does anyone know who it can be ? We've travelled with nearly all of them so I'm as to who it might have been.

Thank you
Dancingducks is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thomas Cook used to offer the luggage being prioritised as part of their PE, however it was never guaranteed if you read the small print as it depends on the ground staff that aren’t employed by the airline.
We found that on the outbound our luggage always seemed to come off first with one exception ((MCO), but inbound was a different matter every time. Except when we came back from Cuba and it was one of first off in both directions.
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancingducks
Excited about Disney

Thank you, we used them last August, think I would have remembered so recently ! Flown with Thomson and BA too
Dancingducks is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Most airlines the only priority for luggage is when you travel in a higher than economy class but as said nothing is very really guaranteed.
Old 10 Mar 20, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Dancingducks
Excited about Disney

I appreciate it's not a guarantee, the chance would be really helpful Anything to stop a meltdown
Old 10 Mar 20, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Why not opt out of the system entirely and travel hand baggage only?
Not sure what Virgin do (I’m not a fan) but BA hand baggage is a massive 23 kg and just restricted by size so on a shorts and T shirt holiday and a wash after a week . Most hotels have washers and dryers usually near the pool so you don’t need to sit by the machine for the cycle. Disney’s machines even have their app to tell you when it’s ready.
We pack a very light flat pack nylon hold all so coming home as we travel on the cheaper hand baggage fare the dirty washing goes in there and we pay £40 ish to check it in and the stuff we’ve bought or if delayed might cause a meltdown goes into the carry on. (I have an adult ASD son but we do it on trips without him too as it makes things easier). BA allow an overhead sized suitcase and a personal item each like a bag, laptop bag or backpack that will fit under the seat. Laptop bags used to be my choice as the under seat bag but more recently as we now only take tablets we use day packs which take iPad, phone , sweets , water, shorts and a t shirt etc and do double duty as park bags once in Orlando.
I wouldn’t pay to travel business purely for luggage priority ... it doesn’t always work ! Especially with MCO.
I’m a greater believer in avoiding anything that can trigger a meltdown when travelling so for us hand baggage only works and the trip to Dollartree for toiletries (or a pick up from Boots airside if you want specific brands , you can order online in advance) and an hour doing laundry max is well worth it. We use packing cubes as I find I can pack much more with it. Last trip my husband helpfully packed when I was working without using cubes and was about to get a check able suitcase out as “it doesn’t all fit” . I repacked with cubes and we didn’t need it
Last trip we did a cruise after Orlando and even with dressier clothes for sea nights it all fitted , although this year I may use the ship’s laundry service aboard as it’s very reasonable as we are doing a week rather than five days cruising.

Edited at 10:54 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I always take DD off to side of luggage hall to sit quietly away from the luggage as she gets stressed too when she has to wait for luggage as she thinks they have lost it!
Old 10 Mar 20, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancingducks
Excited about Disney

I'd love to unfortunately not sure, sons' toys, tablet, medical supplies would fit into a couple of lockers let alone our hand luggage. Need them all to keep him within his routine as much as possible
Old 10 Mar 20, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancingducks
Excited about Disney

It's just me and son thus thinking of asking asking for assistance (quiet area as you say) for when we do arrive at airports next time ?
Old 10 Mar 20, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Why not opt out of the system entirely and travel hand baggage only?
Not sure what Virgin do (I’m not a fan) but BA hand baggage is a massive 23 kg and just restricted by size so on a shorts and T shirt holiday and a wash after a week . Most hotels have washers and dryers usually near the pool so you don’t need to sit by the machine for the cycle. Disney’s machines even have their app to tell you when it’s ready.
We pack a very light flat pack nylon hold all so coming home as we travel on the cheaper hand baggage fare the dirty washing goes in there and we pay £40 ish to check it in and the stuff we’ve bought or if delayed might cause a meltdown goes into the carry on. (I have an adult ASD son but we do it on trips without him too as it makes things easier). BA allow an overhead sized suitcase and a personal item each like a bag, laptop bag or backpack that will fit under the seat. Laptop bags used to be my choice as the under seat bag but more recently as we now only take tablets we use day packs which take iPad, phone , sweets , water, shorts and a t shirt etc and do double duty as park bags once in Orlando.
I wouldn’t pay to travel business purely for luggage priority ... it doesn’t always work ! Especially with MCO.
I’m a greater believer in avoiding anything that can trigger a meltdown when travelling so for us hand baggage only works and the trip to Dollartree for toiletries (or a pick up from Boots airside if you want specific brands , you can order online in advance) and an hour doing laundry max is well worth it. We use packing cubes as I find I can pack much more with it. Last trip my husband helpfully packed when I was working without using cubes and was about to get a check able suitcase out as “it doesn’t all fit” . I repacked with cubes and we didn’t need it
Last trip we did a cruise after Orlando and even with dressier clothes for sea nights it all fitted , although this year I may use the ship’s laundry service aboard as it’s very reasonable as we are doing a week rather than five days cruising.
Fair play to BA offering that weight limit, think Virgin is about 10kg
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List