Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jun 20, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rayraygreen View Post
I did English at York St John and went on to study my Masters at the University of York. I loved studying in York. It's a really friendly city with good nightlife and atmosphere without it being as scary as other places if that makes sense. When I was doing my UCAS, I applied for my hometown, York, Leeds, Newcastle and Lincoln because I didn't want to move too far away but I wanted my independence still. I applied for Hull (my hometown) in case I chickened out of moving out but I'm so glad I went. I also did the Cultural Exchange Program at summer when I was at uni!
My daughter likes York city we have been a couple of times for the day. We haven’t been to see the university yet, although she likes it from the website. She doesn’t want to move too far away it’s about 1 hour 30 mins to York.

Are most things within walking distance, say from halls to college buildings etc
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Thank you ! I am so glad you mentioned this as those are two she is definitely interested in.

She is doing fine with her work, everything is up to date and on target. Its just this university situation.
We had a chat earlier with her, apparently she needs to do a draft personal statement but really struggling with it because she needs to choose a subject and write why this course is for her etc
She just does not know what she wants to do so cant get started in the personal statement.

We have asked her if she really wants to go to universality, maybe do a apprenticeship instead. But no, she really, really wants to go to uni
I suppose writing a personal statement is hard if you don’t know what you wish to study.

Would she be interested in teacher training if she isn’t sure what to study as a single course/degree
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Flower2603
Imagineer

Flower2603's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 24
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
My DD is currently looking for Uni's within commuting distance from home as she is adamant she doesn't want to move away. We are quite lucky in where we live that we have quite a few to choose from. At the top of her list are St Mary's in Twickenham, Roehampton, Uni of Surrey in Guildford and London Met. She's not entirely sure what she wants to do yet but will probably be Physiotherapy, Sports Therapy or Sports Science.

We have had lots of virtual open day invitations as obviously the actual ones were cancelled. Do we think they'll reschedule them for the Autumn term? It's very risky choosing a Uni just from seeing it online!

DD's college have been great in setting up virtual talks about the next step either Uni or Apprenticeship and next week there is a whole day dedicated to filling out the UCAS form and writing your personal statements etc

She's predicted Distinction*, Distinction and B so I'm hoping she achieves these grades despite not being at college since March. I really feel for these kids, as this pandemic has the potential to negatively change their futures. I've also got a year 10 so I feel doubly unlucky at the mo!

Hi, my son went to St Mary's to study teaching and he absolutely loved it. A small and friendly uni.

I'm doing a Masters at London Met and with your Daughter's grades, I'd say she can do much better. For me at my age it's fine as its on my doorstep. For what she's doing also look at Kings College London and UCL as her grades are good and there may be less interntational students this year due to COVID restrictions so there may be more places available.

My middle son is starting DMU this September, my youngest is applying for Uni 2021, he wants to do Computing and is looking at Durham, Warwick, UCL, Bath but they have missed so much teaching, I hope they get reduced A levels as some organisations have suggested to make up for missing a third of their teaching.

August 2008 - All Star Sports/Tradewinds, St. Pete
Aug. 2010 - Beach Club/RPH Aug. 2012 - Beach Club!
August 2015 - RPH/POFQ
October 2017 - Newport Bay DLP August 2018 Tokyo Disney

Edited at 02:10 PM.
Flower2603 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Flower2603 View Post
Hi, my son went to St Mary's to study teaching and he absolutely loved it. A small and friendly uni.

I'm doing a Masters at London Met and with your Daughter's grades, I'd say she can do much better. For me at my age it's fine as its on my doorstep. For what she's doing also look at Kings College London and UCL as her grades are good and there may be less interntational students this year due to COVID restrictions so there may be more places available.

My middle son is starting DMU this September, my youngest is applying for Uni 2021, he wants to do Computing and is looking at Durham, Warwick, UCL, Bath but they have missed so much teaching, I hope they get reduced A levels as some organisations have suggested to make up for missing a third of their teaching.
I am hoping that the universities lower the entrance requirements or at least into consideration what the current Year 12’s have missed.

My daughter got 7’s and above in her GCSE’s so should be perfectly capable of getting the AAA or AAB she needs to do Law, but there are no certainties with what they have missed so far
Old 25 Jun 20, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

Ds had an unconditional acceptence onto a master's but yesterday received an email to say that the course has been cancelled.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

I have twins so have 2 looking at what they want to do.

My ds wants to join the police so is looking at either a degree apprentice scheme or a degree in Policing. He has to have a draft personal statement completed for his tutor to make comments on by next Wednesday.

My dd wants to study genetics/biology something in that field. Her and my ds go to different schools but has also had online support with her personal statement from school.

They have both done virtual open days, registered with UCAS (as have I and you get parent mails through) and have an idea on where they want to go. My dd actually has a part time job at Warwick Uni so think that is high on the list! Nottingham and Leicester also seem favourites. I’ve said that if there aren’t any formal open days we will go to these places anyway and just have a wander and get a feel for the place.

My main bug bear is I have a major holiday planned so need to know if these exams will be pushed into July next year, as that was when we were going!

Edited at 03:12 PM.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Flower2603 View Post

Thank you for this.
I grew up just round the corner from St Mary’s and it’s the closest one to where we live now so would be very easy for DD to commute there. It’s not a top Uni for every subject but for teaching or Sport degrees it’s a really good one.
Thats really interesting what you say about London Met, it was probably the bottom one on her list but only because of the travel involved. What are you studying? I’ve always loved the idea of being a mature student as I didn’t go to Uni when I was younger, I wouldn’t have a clue what I would study though 😂

She has just today had her final grades through from this year and they’ve slipped slightly from her predictions but at a Distinction*, Merit plus and a C I’m hoping she can still get some good offers. Will definitely look into Kings and UCL too.
I really hope Unis take into consideration the gap in ‘proper’ teaching the children have had this year, it just seems very unfair on them at this stage in their education

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
I have twins so have 2 looking at what they want to do.

My ds wants to join the police so is looking at either a degree apprentice scheme or a degree in Policing. He has to have a draft personal statement completed for his tutor to make comments on by next Wednesday.

My dd wants to study genetics/biology something in that field. Her and my ds go to different schools but has also had online support with her personal statement from school.

They have both done virtual open days, registered with UCAS (as have I and you get parent mails through) and have an idea on where they want to go. My dd actually has a part time job at Warwick Uni so think that is high on the list! Nottingham and Leicester also seem favourites. I’ve said that if there aren’t any formal open days we will go to these places anyway and just have a wander and get a feel for the place.

My main bug bear is I have a major holiday planned so need to know if these exams will be pushed into July next year, as that was when we were going!
I’d also really like to know when they will finalise when the exams will be next year. Flights will be coming out in the next month or so for when the exams will normally finish so would be great if they announce it soon. I know it’s a real 1st world problem to have though 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by rayraygreen View Post
I did English at York St John and went on to study my Masters at the University of York. I loved studying in York. It's a really friendly city with good nightlife and atmosphere without it being as scary as other places if that makes sense. When I was doing my UCAS, I applied for my hometown, York, Leeds, Newcastle and Lincoln because I didn't want to move too far away but I wanted my independence still. I applied for Hull (my hometown) in case I chickened out of moving out but I'm so glad I went. I also did the Cultural Exchange Program at summer when I was at uni!
My son has just finished his final year at Hull, he has loved his time there as the people are so friendly. He’s now applied to do his MA at York or Lancaster, just waiting for results 🤞
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
rayraygreen
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by kathrynmc View Post
My daughter likes York city we have been a couple of times for the day. We haven’t been to see the university yet, although she likes it from the website. She doesn’t want to move too far away it’s about 1 hour 30 mins to York.

Are most things within walking distance, say from halls to college buildings etc
There's two campus' at UoY. You can walk between them both but it's take about 25 mins. There's a bus that loops around both campus' and the city centre though so it's really easy to get around everywhere. In first year, she'd probably live on campus anyway. There's shops and places to eat on the actual campus as well but easy enough to just hop on the bus to get into town. It's a lovely place to study but I'm probably biased It's got an amazing rep for English as well!
Hollywood Studios CM - 2013
Epcot UK Pavilion CM - 2017-2018
rayraygreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List