Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Aug 20, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
spikeybee
Helping Mickey

5 days San Francisco

We are thinking of spending 5 days in San Francisco and then fly to Orlando for 10 days next year. If anyone has done this before could you please give us few tips. Thank you.
spikeybee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Hi this is an extract from my California trip summary. Happy planning.

San Francisco
As mentioned I wanted a stay with free parking and the Cow Hollow Motor Inn came out well on TA. Dibbers also seemed to like it there. San Francisco was a nice place to explore. We had been pre-warned about the potential for cold, fog and rain, so we had our hoodies with us. To be fair we had some nice weather, but there we still experienced some classic weather too. In researching for the holiday I had decided to get the City Pass with Alcatraz option. In short, I phoned Alcatraz Cruises, booked our slot for the cruise and purchased my City Pass tickets. We then collected them at the Alcatraz Cruise ticket booth prior to our tour. The pass also included 3 days on the Muni public transport system, California Academy of Sciences, Aquarium of the Bay and Exploratorium/ or De Young Museum. We used the Muni passes quite a bit on the buses, but didn’t go on a cable car in the end as the queues were long. The Aquarium was good and the Academy of Sciences was excellent. It also had an aquarium, as well as a planetarium and a rain forest exhibit. We didn’t make it to the Exploratorium in the end, which was a shame as it sounds really good.
The highlight of our stay in San Francisco was the Dylan’s Tour. I got a discount code, which knocked 15% off the cost. In short, we did a city tour on a mini bus with a very informative, friendly and humorous guide. They showed us all the notable parts of San Francisco, gave us plenty of time to get off the bus and have a look around. We then went over the Golden Gate Bridge into Sausalito where we wandered and bought lunch, before heading to Muir Woods. We had an hour or so to wander around here. It was beautiful. If we retuned I would like to spend longer.

One tip for people heading to USA and visiting National Parks etc. We bought an America the Beautiful 12 month pass for $80 at Muir Woods. It allows either occupants of car or holder and three persons 16 and older to gain access. Under 16s are admitted anyway. We used this to gain entry to Muir Woods and at other places like Joshua Tree.

We had some great meals in San Francisco. I recommend Bubba Gumps at Fisherman’s Wharf and the Italian Homemade Company. The latter is a busy little café, with fairly-quick customer turnover. The main theme is you choose your pasta and a sauce. It was fantastic especially with the flatbreads.
Old 4 Aug 20, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We spent 5 days earlier this year and loved it
We cycled the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, China Town food tour , Cable Car and museum
fishermen Wharf
We loved it and will return we walked we ate in China Town once and at the wharf other than that we were so close to a Trader Joes and we had a microwave coffee maker and a good size fridge we just bought stuff for breakfast I’d taken bowls spoons larger glasses
And cutlery as I always do so a couple of nights we had some of there fresh made lasange
Or cheeses metas fruit and olives with wine more than enough after long long days that we had walked one day 15 miles
Our weather in February was fantastic never had a hoodie on once and the mist lifted by the time we were ready to leave the room in the morning
We then flew to Hawk then to Texas and on to Florida
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi so you have 4 full days , it’s basically all been said already. Would just add Disney museum which could be done on way to bridge and over to Sausalito. For Alcatraz we did the night tour which was great.
How many in your party. I take it you will not drive. I ask this because if you where I’d suggest a day to Monterey for whale watching or perhaps from San Fran .
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
spikeybee
Helping Mickey

There will be 4 of us. The youngest will be sixteen.Probably will not hire a car till I get to Orlando will just use Ubers.
spikeybee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again with your ages profile I would now suggest the electric bike city tour, this lasts 3/4 hour and is very good. Also hire regular bikes (loads of places) cycle out to Disney museum and onto the bridge , after this then cycle over bridge to Sausalito for lunch and then get the ferry back.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

San Francisco Love tours might appeal to you.

You get picked up by Fishermens Wharf in a Hand Painted, Air Cooled VW Camper (Maximum of 6 of you). It even has shag pile carpets and 'authentic' 1960s summer of love music as they provide a commentary tour.

For 2 hours you get driven around, including the otherwise awkward to Get to Haight Ashbury, Golden Gate Park, down the Lombard Street Zigzags, over the Golden Gate etc.

We booked this, then had a Covid cancellation.

You are in my opinion very wise to avoid Car Hire. You can see my 2018 trip report as a link in my signature. It covers many of the things that you are likely to consider.. hopefully in detail!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 04:08 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I absolutely love San Francisco, but not sure it’s a natural partner with Orlando? Did you not fancy any of the rest of California which is amazing (far better than Orlando in my view though that’s probably not popular on the Dibb).
Old 4 Aug 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I absolutely love San Francisco, but not sure it’s a natural partner with Orlando? Did you not fancy any of the rest of California which is amazing (far better than Orlando in my view though that’s probably not popular on the Dibb).
I would most certainly agree with you. Unless you are just visiting for theme parks and nothing else, California is quite simply in a different league to central Florida. My only regret is that I didn’t realise this much, much sooner.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
spikeybee
Helping Mickey

I have just read your trip report cornishfrogboy sounds like you had an amazing trip. Definitely picked up a few tips.