Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 20 Sep 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loola30 View Post
We did the same. It was Carl Stotter and the fallout for his family that had me in tears. Absolutely heartbreaking.

Tennant was outstanding.
Yes I saw an older documentary (I think on Channel 5 or 4 ?) with Carol Stotter and he clearly had issues but hearing his sister talk upset me so much . It’s a reminder of those old awful Homophobic days - if the police had only taken him seriously at the time ...
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Yes I saw an older documentary (I think on Channel 5 or 4 ?) with Carol Stotter and he clearly had issues but hearing his sister talk upset me so much . It’s a reminder of those old awful Homophobic days - if the police had only taken him seriously at the time ...
I am afraid that was an accurate reflection of both the times and the attitudes within Policing.. that they captured extremely well and I am glad to say that I had seen the back of, before I retired.

For me, an interesting area was the budgeting issue and the decision of the Mandarins to stop at 6. Whilst this makes great fiscal sense in that he would have got an identical sentence for 6 or 12, It does not give any closure at all for the families of those other 6 (or more) victims.

I also believe that, if the portrayal was accurate, the evidence of Carl Stotter was in many ways the most compelling evidence of all. He was the only one who could provide accurate insight into what actually happened, rather than what Nilsen said.

As for Nilsen, that comment to his biographer about anonymity of victims 'I have robbed them of their lives, dont you take rob them of their identity' was fascinating.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:06 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
i am afraid that was an accurate reflection of both the times and the attitudes within Policing.. that they captured extremely well and I am glad to say that I had seen the back of, before I retired.

For me, an interesting area was the budgeting issue and the decision of the Mandarins to stop at 6. Whilst this makes great fiscal sense in that he would have got an identical sentence for 6 or 12, It does not give any closure at all for the families of those other 6 (or more) victims.

I also believe that, if the portrayal was accurate, the evidence of Carl Stotter was in many ways the most compelling evidence of all. He was the only one who could provide accurate insight into what actually happened, rather than what Nilsen said.

As for Nilsen, that comment to his biographer about anonymity of victims 'I have robbed them of their lives, dont you take rob them of their identity' was fascinating.

If you haven’t seen the 2 documentaries that followed this then I commend them. They speak with Stotter (in one before he died from alcoholism his family attribute to this experience) and the police offers (now retired) - it is canded although I did
Wonder about some of the interviews with his boyfriends/friends - something didnt sit right with me (Eg why didnt they come forward earlier ?)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
If you haven’t seen the 2 documentaries that followed this then I commend them. They speak with Stotter (in one before he died from alcoholism his family attribute to this experience) and the police offers (now retired) - it is canded although I did
Wonder about some of the interviews with his boyfriends/friends - something didnt sit right with me (Eg why didnt they come forward earlier ?)
Re the reluctance to come forward, It is worth considering that Homophobia was rife in those times and that Homosexuality was actively ridiculed by probably a majority. Dick Emery, Chubby Brown, Bernard Manning and many others had huge, appreciative audiences. Many of his boyfriends etc might still have been 'in the closet' as far as their families were concerned. Overt Homosexuality was derided. Just look at the way the Defence Barrister scorned Carl's drag act in open Court, using it to suggest that he lacked credibility because of it.

In addition, there is a huge fear factor that goes with giving Crown Court evidence, (even for some Police Officers). Many may also have thought that it was a simple 'open and shut' case, not realising that 'Mad or Bad' was the only realistic defence available to Nilsen and that their evidence could therefore prove absolutely crucial, were they to attend.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:17 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
My oldest friend younger brother who at the time worked at a job center was invited by Nilsen to go to his home to have a curry. What a lucky escape that he didn't take up his offer.

My parent smoked a lot and in the 70's and 80's everyone smoked at work and had to sit in the smoking area on a flight to Australia. Haven't smoked at all, everyone else put me off.

We have recorded the series and the extra programs and looking forward to seeing them

Lesley and Melvin
Old 20 Sep 20, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Regarding the police not taking Carl Stotter seriously, you should Google what happened when one of Jeffrey Dahmer’s victims managed to escape 😡 Institutional homophobia has cost men their lives.
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
tonigary
Imagineer

David Tennant was excellent, so convincing as Des,
tonigary is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List