Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Apr 15, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mia_ View Post
I did mention that the questions are for upgrading child to adult on ddp, but probably isn't very clear as there are multiple questions.

so, we could pay out of pocket if he wants to order from kid meal
he can order from kid meal
we should be able to pay for childs menu meal with his adult credit?

apart from increased tip on buffets, it seems good deal to upgrade then
Yes, if he's upgraded to the adult dining plan you can pay oop if he wants to eat from the child's menu and save the credits

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Grapesoda
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Yes, if he's upgraded to the adult dining plan you can pay oop if he wants to eat from the child's menu and save the credits
This what I plan to do as I have a very fussy 12 yr old who will prob enjoy the kids menu more and a DS who is 8 that I have upgraded to DDP adult. We are going to OOP some of the table service, we will have extra credits to do a breakfast & diner or one of the dinner shows!

DLP Jan 2014 ~ Sante Fe
DLP Jan 2015 ~ Cheyenne
Pretrip report Here
Report in progress Here
Food Report ~ Here
Grapesoda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
This is a post I wrote on another thread, but think it might help on this thread too

To qualify for free dining you have to book both your Disney accommodation and park tickets at the same time, either direct with Disney or through an agent (the majority offer it and prices can vary, so it's god to get quotes).
The offer is:
Free breakfast at Value resorts (all of the All Star resorts, Pop Century and Art of Animation, but only in suites at AOA, not rooms)
Free quick service dining plan (QSDP) at moderate resorts (Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter and Fort Wildreness Cabins)
Disney Dining plan (DDP at the deluxe resorts (any that I haven't already mentioned!)
In the past there has also been a gift card, but we haven't been told yet if there is one for this years offer.

There are some exclusion dates. The offer is valid for arrival dates between 01 Jan 2016 - 15 Mar 2016 and 03 April 2016 - 30 Nov 2016.

If you want to stay at a value or moderate but have the qsdp or ddp, then you can pay to upgrade the plans if you want to.

The Quick Service Dining Plan gives you 2 QS meals and 1 snack credit per person per night of your stay. The Disney Dining plan gives you 1 QS, 1TS and 1 snack credit per person per night that you stay. So for a 14 night holiday you would get 14 credits per person for each element. You also get a resort fillable mug to use.

The credits are loaded to your account altogether, so, for a group of 4 for 2 weeks, when you check in you'll have 112 QS credits and 56 snack credits on the QSDP or 56 QS, 56 TS and 56 snack credits on the DDP. All of the credits can be accessed from the magic bands, meaning that you only need 1 band to scan and 'pay' for a meal for all 4 of you - you don't have to scan each individual band. You set pin numbers for the bands which you have to enter each time you want to redeem a credit or charge a payment to your room. For the children we used their birth year as their pin number so if they wanted to go and get a snack, they could do so by scanning the band and entering their pin number - which they just loved! The children's bands don't have charging privileges so don't worry about them shopping with them!

Anyway, back to the dining plans! The credits can be used in any way that you please, in any order, in any quantity that you please any time between checking in and midnight on the day that you check out. The credits are completely flexible and if you don't use all of the daily allowance of credits you don't loose them, they just stay on your account until they expire at midnight on check out day. You could use them all on the very first day if you really wanted to and it wouldn't be a problem!

QS credits can be used at pretty much every QS place in the parks, water parks and resorts. You don't have to book - it's just turn up, order, take your food on a tray and find a table. Except for Wolfgang Puck Express at Marketplace where they bring your food to you and you get proper cutlery and crockery rather than plastic cutlery and paper plates. We had the QSDP on our first holiday and thought it was great. If you do a bit of research there are some great places to eat which offer a whole variety of food, so it's not just burgers and fries for 2 weeks. We would happily do it again. The other thing to know about QS meal credits is that the system doesn't differentiate between children's (age 9 and under) and adult credits, so you can order an adult meal for a child too. TBH, the children's menus at the QS places aren't great, so its really helpful to be able to do this. The only place that we couldn't was at Wolfgang Puck Express where they checked to see if there were any children in our party.

With the DDP plan you use your QS credits in exactly the same way and your TS credits at table service places which include character meals and shows. You really do need to prebook these, especially the popular ones, and can do so 180 days in advance. You get the added benefit of being able to book the first 10 days worth of meals at 180 days so don't have to call daily.. We've just had the DDP and it was lovely trying some of the places that we read about on here. With the TS places you do need to budget for tips which is 18-20% of what the bill would be if you were paying cash. What we found is that our server would ask if we were on the DDP, we would say yes and she would scan one of our bands. At the end of the meal they would bring us the bill showing what we ordered, the cost, the total and they 'helpfully' work out the 18 and 20% tip for you. We decided to charge this to our room, so would write in the gap how much we wanted to leave, tell them we wanted to charge it to our room and then they would take the bill away and process it, bring back paperwork to sign - one copy for them and 1 for us. Every few days we would go to the front desk to get a printout of our charges, check it and then pay it off, either in cash or using our $200 gift card.

Most TS meals are 1 credit, but there are some 2 credit meals - signature restaurants, Cinderella's Royal Table and the 2 shows; Hoop De Do and the Aloha one. We did both CRT and the Hoop De Doo and really enjoyed them both. One of the good things about these 2 is that the tip is included in the package, so no need to leave one - good job as CRT dinner would have cost us $250 if we were paying, so that's a hefty $50 tip!

For each meal you get an entrée (main), dessert and drink. At breakfast you don't get the dessert and there's nothing to replace it. Buffets are eat what you want, so no need to worry about them.

It's a LOT of food! Even though it only looks like 2 meals and 1 snack per day, it is a lot of food as the portions are so big. We soon found that we didn't need to get a meal each, so we would share at breakfast and lunch, grab a snack if we were getting peckish and then have a main meal each in the evening. At the QS places the desserts on offer most often seem to be chocolate cake and carrot cake. Believe me, there is only so much of these that you can eat! They will let you substitute for a fruit bag or water though, so we did that most of the time. My advice is don't plan to spend any money on food as if you do, you'll probably find that you've wasted the money as you have credits left over at the end. On the QSDP we had something like 12 QS credits left at the end of the holiday and we didn't go hungry. I think it's easier to use them all on the DDP as half the credits are TS and you use them up very easily as there are so many great places to try, character meals etc. This time we decided that we didn't necessarily want to eat breakfast at the food court every morning, so we packed some of those small variety box cereals in the case, bought some milk from the SSR shop and had breakfast in our room on days that we wanted to be at the parks early.

This PDF form Disney explains a bit more and also shows you all the places you can eat using the plans:
disneyworld.disney.go/me...2015Dining.pdf
This is brilliant advice as always Vickie we are planing on paying oop for sci-fi as the kids loved it there last time, where would you recommend to eat at HS with the QS? As we'll probably be there 1 full day & half a day.& obviously our 2 days at universal will be oop, but we hope to use a QS credit for breakfast those mornings.

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17.
✨Disneyland Tokyo & Disney Sea - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018, 2023
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, Grand Canyon -2018
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24
LOU LOU DISNEY is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

hi and thanks for a great thread! I have already bombarded Vicky with lots of questions (thanks Vicky you are a star )
I do think the more info the better as I don't want to waste any of my credits... I have a couple if questions too

My youngest will turn 3 when we return home so he does not need a disney ticket (saves £299 but that means he doesn't get any credits ) because we are only staying on site for 5 days we decided it was not worth getting him a ticket as he would not eat £299 worth of food in five days but...
Will it look really bad if he shares from our plates (TS) or would they give us a little plate? (My other 2 children will be 10&12 so they will get adults meals but probably won't finish so he could share with them but he will want his 'own ' plate or he will be upset I imagine

We always go to crystal palace on our first morning and they top up the drinks throughout our stay, the DDP says 1 drink so will we get charged for 'top ups' of coffee and juice?

I assume we still pay a tip on the meals, do you just pay this like you would usually pay the bill?

At the QS and TS can you have ANYTHING from the menu or is the choice limited like on most UK meal deals?

Vicky assures me that there is plenty of food but we are a greedy bunch and my concern is breakfast time, we are all in one room with I doubt has a fridge and my daughter is type 1 diabetic so can't miss meals really ( odd time would be ok) so what do you all usually do for breakfast?

Last question I promise (for now anyway ) the re fill cup you get, can this only be filled at resorts, NOT PARKS? and is there sugar free options (but not just diet coke), my daughter can only drink sugar free or water and I take medication every morning with I take with water (am I better buying so e bottles and keeping them in the room, even though they will be warm )

Thanks everyone and I am looking forward to lots of hints and tips
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
CazP
Imagineer

Some great advice on this thread, thank you everyone
WDW Oct 1991 HoJo DLP June 2001 Cheyenne DLP Santa Fe Feb 2003 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2008 WDW Xmas 2008 CBR DLP Santa Fe Oct 2010 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2012 Ramada Int. Drive Aug 2013 DLP Cheyenne Oct 2014 IDrive & OKW July/August 2016 Oct 2016 Cheyenne DLP Aug 2017 Fairfield Inn July 2018 Newport Bay
CazP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
hi and thanks for a great thread! I have already bombarded Vicky with lots of questions (thanks Vicky you are a star )
I do think the more info the better as I don't want to waste any of my credits... I have a couple if questions too

My youngest will turn 3 when we return home so he does not need a disney ticket (saves £299 but that means he doesn't get any credits ) because we are only staying on site for 5 days we decided it was not worth getting him a ticket as he would not eat £299 worth of food in five days but...
Will it look really bad if he shares from our plates (TS) or would they give us a little plate? (My other 2 children will be 10&12 so they will get adults meals but probably won't finish so he could share with them but he will want his 'own ' plate or he will be upset I imagine Yes they'll give him his own plate

We always go to crystal palace on our first morning and they top up the drinks throughout our stay, the DDP says 1 drink so will we get charged for 'top ups' of coffee and juice? You'll get free refills of juice and coffee at CP.

I assume we still pay a tip on the meals, do you just pay this like you would usually pay the bill? When they bring the bill there will be a line for the gratuity. You can either write an amount and it can be charged to your room or a card or you can write "cash" and leave cash.

At the QS and TS can you have ANYTHING from the menu or is the choice limited like on most UK meal deals? Yes you can have anything although some sharing items are restricted or you need to use multiple credits.

Vicky assures me that there is plenty of food but we are a greedy bunch and my concern is breakfast time, we are all in one room with I doubt has a fridge and my daughter is type 1 diabetic so can't miss meals really ( odd time would be ok) so what do you all usually do for breakfast? All Disney hotels have fridges in the room. We either buy cereal or muffins or something else we can have in the room or go to the food court if we don't have a breakfast booked.

Last question I promise (for now anyway ) the re fill cup you get, can this only be filled at resorts, NOT PARKS? and is there sugar free options (but not just diet coke), my daughter can only drink sugar free or water and I take medication every morning with I take with water (am I better buying so e bottles and keeping them in the room, even though they will be warm ) The refillable mugs are for use in hotels only. There's diet coke and usually a light lemonade. I don't know that it's necessarily sugar free though.

Thanks everyone and I am looking forward to lots of hints and tips
I've answered within your post so you'll need to open it up to see the answers.
Hope that helps.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Tor32
Imagineer

Mobile

Fantastic advice for us first timers onsite. Thank you
Tor32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

What wonderful info - thank you.

It's been a while since we visited WDW but all the offers at the moment is making me think of adding 5 nights pre cruise next May. We were looking at the free QS plan but the option is to upgrade for £130 - the main factor for me to upgrade would be if we could use the TS credits for character meals, so does anyone have an idea how much a character meal would be per adult? Previously, we have dined at Crystal Palace, Tusker House, Chef Mickey - are there any other ones now, and costs? Sorry if these are basic Q's but it's a bit of a spur of the moment thought!
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Great thread, thank you.

My question is regarding the QSDDP, we went last year and had this plan and have got it for our 2016 trip too, reading the thread however I don't think we used our QSDDP as well as we could of.

We had breakfast at the hotel every morning (CBR), for us the choice was fine and the portions large so we often only grabbed a snack for lunch. For dinner we ate at two TS restaurants, T-Rex and Planet Holleywood, we paid for these meals. We did have lunch one day at Be our Guest and again paid for this.

For our next trip, I'd be grateful of any suggestions on how we can best use our credits, for example could we eat at a TS restaurant such as Plant Hollywood or Be our Guest and use our QS credits towards the cost of the meal?

Thank you xx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I've answered within your post so you'll need to open it up to see the answers.
Hope that helps.
Thanks! It all sounds perfect, I am even more excited now!
I didn't realise all hotels had fridges, I was so excited about booking I didn't actually read any details lol
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread