Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Mar 17, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr__Incredible View Post
Wasn't aware of the risk of a brick wall so will take that into account. At the price being offered it may be a risk we have to take.

Our plan is to drop the car off somewhere in SF near the hotel we end up booking so that I only have to drive into SF once. This should also reduce the hire car booking - think we may only need a 10/11 night booking even though it is a 17 night holiday.

Good tip on SF - we were originally thinking 3 nights but now I am thinking 4. Based on your experience how many nights (out of 17) would you allocate to SF?

Thanks
The brick wall issue did not bother us at all. The location, having a suite to make brekkie and lunch, the lovely friendly staff, more than made up for brick wall... but it does make the room a bit like an "overcast" day. We had both views and can honestly say we will go back there next year to stay and if its the wall its fine. If you are wanting a strip view dont choose here as its 50/50. I would do 4 in San Fran. We loved it. Do you intend to do Alcatraz?. We did 3 nights and barely did anything by the time we arrived our first day and unpacked there was hardly time to do anything. Our hotel for the 2 roomed suite was only $200 a night and a 10 min walk to the wharf,. and had free parking.

Edited at 03:03 PM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 17, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr__Incredible
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
The brick wall issue did not bother us at all. The location, having a suite to make brekkie and lunch, the lovely friendly staff, more than made up for brick wall... but it does make the room a bit like an "overcast" day. We had both views and can honestly say we will go back there next year to stay and if its the wall its fine. If you are wanting a strip view dont choose here as its 50/50. I would do 4 in San Fran. We loved it. Do you intend to do Alcatraz?. We did 3 nights and barely did anything by the time we arrived our first day and unpacked there was hardly time to do anything. Our hotel for the 2 roomed suite was only $200 a night and a 10 min walk to the wharf,. and had free parking.
Alcatraz will be a must for us but need to research what else to do, although I think it will include a bike ride across the bridge if possible. As it is at the end of our holiday I am hoping we will be fully acclimatised to the time difference.

Which hotel did you use as we expected SF to be expensive and it is not disappointing! We may not need parking as I was going to take the hire car back when we got to SF but if parking was free this could be an option so that I can drop the hire car at the airport rather than take an Uber.
Mr__Incredible is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 17, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Alcatraz will be a must for us but need to research what else to do, although I think it will include a bike ride across the bridge if possible. As it is at the end of our holiday I am hoping we will be fully acclimatised to the time difference.

Which hotel did you use as we expected SF to be expensive and it is not disappointing! We may not need parking as I was going to take the hire car back when we got to SF but if parking was free this could be an option so that I can drop the hire car at the airport rather than take an Uber.
Columbus Motor Inn. Basic, clean, very helpful friendly staff. 10 mins literally along flat streets to the wharf. Bus stopped right outside and we went everywhere for $2.50? We has 2 bed "suite" which sounds grand but was room with 2 queen beds table chairs telly fridge etc. then separate bedroom with a king bed for us with TV chairs and little balcony. Allowed one parking space per room. Quite a few on here had stayed so I cancelled my original reservation and re booked there. Only a basic hotel but near loads of restaurants brekkie places etc. I would and will go back. We paid $178 for Thursday and $198 for Fri/Sat between the 2 couples. Was way easier not to drive and we used Uber and Wingz, from airport etc. We didnt need a car at all as bus took us every where and streets were a bit scary for me! Depends on what you want. Loved Alcatraz.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for the tip. Jockey Club was on our shortlist and is available for our dates so today we will book 3 nights there at ~£450 for the 5 of us.

I also want to get our SF nights booked today as that city is expensive and availability already looks limited.

I'm thinking 3 nights each of LV and SF at either of the holiday should be about right. We can then plan the remaining 11 nights over the next couple of weeks and use booking.com free cancellation in case we change our plans.

I'm also planning on only getting our hire car when we leave LV to when we arrive in SF so that we don't have a hire car in either 2 cities. Need to find a good car hire company.
We're off at Easter to Las Vegas, back from San Francisco. Visiting various places from Vegas, then back there for one night, onto San Francisco via a couple of stops. We booked car hire through Discount Florida Car Hire, very competitively priced. We weren't going to have a car in Las Vegas on our first few nights there, but it was less than £20 for the extra nights, saves having to get shuttle there and back.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 03:37 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by anneeb View Post
We're off at Easter to Las Vegas, back from San Francisco. Visiting various places from Vegas, then back there for one night, onto San Francisco via a couple of stops. We booked car hire through Discount Florida Car Hire, very competitively priced. We weren't going to have a car in Las Vegas on our first few nights there, but it was less than £20 for the extra nights, saves having to get shuttle there and back.
Don't forget you may have to pay for parking at your hotel though . Uber is cheap and easy to use if you change your mind.
Old 13 Mar 17, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post

We have just booked flights with NETFLIGHTS direct from Manchester to SFO then return via LAX for an AMAZING £1,390 with Virgin. 2 Aduklts 1 Child.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr__Incredible
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by SMOGMONSTER73 View Post
We have just booked flights with NETFLIGHTS direct from Manchester to SFO then return via LAX for an AMAZING £1,390 with Virgin. 2 Aduklts 1 Child.
That's a fantastic price. Term time or school holidays?
Mr__Incredible is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post

That's a fantastic price. Term time or school holidays?
we travel on the 11th April, 4 weeks tomorrow. It sneaks in term time by 3 days but hey ho
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Don't forget you may have to pay for parking at your hotel though . Uber is cheap and easy to use if you change your mind.
Yes, we took that into consideration, but for the ease of not having to get from the airport, then back to pick up the car, we felt that it was the best option for us. We are also looking to go out to malls during one day so it will be easier with a car.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by anneeb View Post
Yes, we took that into consideration, but for the ease of not having to get from the airport, then back to pick up the car, we felt that it was the best option for us. We are also looking to go out to malls during one day so it will be easier with a car.
Far easier with a car , I'm in Vegas now 9th time here and wouldn't ever not have a car . In the grand scheme of things the parking charges are no worse than you pay at
Home in a city Center .

Yesterday at 5pm it was still 100 degrees far nicer to have your own car to come and go as you please .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List