Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Mar 17, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr__Incredible View Post
Thanks Aims. What are your thoughts on the Go San Diego card?

Whilst the 5 day card is a lot of money it looks like it could be good value. We think we would at least do Legoland, SeaWorld, SD Zoo, Belmont Park, Uss Midway plus the look at boat tours and kayaking.
I think they are a great value, especially when you have a lot of big attractions planned like Legoland, Sea World and the Zoo. When you consider the individual ticket prices to do just those attractions alone, the Go card more than pays itself off. It's a good deal!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We are staying for 5 nights at the Best Western Yacht Harbour in Point Loma.
Plan on going to the Zoo, Safari Park, Sea World and USS Midway
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
On our first visit to SD we stayed 5 nights at the BW Island Palms ( lovely location overlooking the Bay and Marina )we had such a fabulous time we returned last year for 10 nights. It is such a great place to stay with so many beautiful beaches and places of interest to see plus so easy to get around.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 17, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

I have been crazy busy and no time for any planning, but really appreciate all your replies! I hope to get chance to have a good look this weekend
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 17, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

if you have to pick one - the safari park or the zoo which one would you pick?
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 17, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Mobile

Zoo 100%

2023 - Orlando/Gulf Coast
2024 - Menorca & Malta
2025 - Norwegian Fjords and Boston/NY
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 17, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

looking at

Mission beach
Belmont Park
La Jolla
Balboa Park
Old Town / Bazaer Del Mundo?
San Diego Safari Park or The Zoo
Modern Art Museum

and my list is growing... we will only have 3 days
Old 7 Apr 17, 06:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alien View Post
if you have to pick one - the safari park or the zoo which one would you pick?
I love both zoos, they have very different styles from each other, but if you can only pick one, then go with the San Diego Zoo that is located in Balboa Park. The Safari Park is a bit out of the way, it's about a 30-40 minute drive from downtown San Diego. The zoo is world famous though and deserves the title.

I looked at your list of things you want to see. It's going to be a challenge getting it all done in three days! The zoo will take a good part of a day to see properly, but if you get there at opening and make use of the narrated bus tour, you can cover a lot in the first couple of hours. You could leave by 2-3 pm and head to Old Town for a couple of hours. It's a small-ish state park that is the most historical area of San Diego, but you don't need a lot of time there. They have a few small original structures that are museums, the rest is a mostly touristy area of souvenir shops and Mexican restaurants. Bazaar del Mundo is just the name of a small complex of Mexican shops and restaurants that is within the park. Although the zoo is located in Balboa Park, you really should give the park a half day of it's own. There are some very nice museums there and some lovely garden areas.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Edited at 06:30 AM.
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 17, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Thanks Aims. I need to have a think about what I want to do on what day!

Hotels shortlists and cost in euro, all have additional parking fee

Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina - 946

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley - 850 and includes breakfast

Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle - 800

Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego Mission Valley 784, includes breakfast

There isn't huge difference in price. Any comments on location? Which one would you choose?
Old 7 Apr 17, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

I know you will only be there three nights, but if you prefer to have somewhere scenic, then I would go with the Best Western Island Palms. The location on the bay is lovely and you'll feel like you're more at a resort (hence the fact it is the more expensive of those listed). The Mission Valley hotels are a little more centrally located to everything, but you'll sacrifice the scenic bit. Mission Valley is filled with hotels, one next to the other, and they run alongside a busy freeway. There are shopping malls and businesses mixed in, so you won't have the lovely views of being downtown on the water. If the view isn't that important and you just want to have a place to sleep at night, then I would go with the Doubletree or the Courtyard. I've stayed at both and they were very nice. If it were me choosing though, I'd go with the Island Palms just for the better views and more laid-back, quieter location.