Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Aug 14, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
johnny1352
Imagineer

johnny1352's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Naughty hertz

Well arrived in Orlando yesterday and picked up car from bets straight to gold member kiosk in garage. The car was ready and I drove it to the booth. My license was scanned and the slip was handed to me. Checked it when I got to villa and found $116 added for extra insurance. I have rang repeatedly to hertz at the airport with no answer. Rang hertz today and have been told that I need to go back to car pick up and argue it there as it is a contract that I signed ! Even though I signed nothing. So tomorrow a 50 min drive from villa back to airport to argue this point then drive back again. I am fuming. Hertz customer service is not good at all. I know I should have checked at the time but was so tired from travel and connecting flights etc.
johnny1352 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 14, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by johnny1352 View Post
Well arrived in Orlando yesterday and picked up car from bets straight to gold member kiosk in garage. The car was ready and I drove it to the booth. My license was scanned and the slip was handed to me. Checked it when I got to villa and found $116 added for extra insurance. I have rang repeatedly to hertz at the airport with no answer. Rang hertz today and have been told that I need to go back to car pick up and argue it there as it is a contract that I signed ! Even though I signed nothing. So tomorrow a 50 min drive from villa back to airport to argue this point then drive back again. I am fuming. Hertz customer service is not good at all. I know I should have checked at the time but was so tired from travel and connecting flights etc.
You should of wrote on their Facebook page. Better than calling in some cases.

No matter how tired you are..ALWAYS check your paperwork/receipt you get from them!
I find it a bit odd they added something without you signing for it though.

Hope you get it sorted but lesson learned here. Always look at your receipt
West Coast road trip 2018 (CO,CA,MT,ID,WA,OR,NV,UT) Yellowstone/Yosemite
Alabama, Florida & New Orleans - May 19
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 14, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
rsvdaz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

It's not set up on your hertz gold account settings that you take the extra insurance option?
I know a few of the loyalty schemes have preferences which they automatically apply
rsvdaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 14, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
johnny1352
Imagineer

johnny1352's Reviews
No I have removed the option on hertz account and have a print out of the paperwork to prove this. Also I was not asked anything when I picked the car up apart from if I needed to return it full or empty. It was all done electronically at the exit barrier. I am getting sorted and visiting there today to thrash it out. Will keep you posted. Another lesson learnt and hopefully this post warns others
johnny1352 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 14, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
sue97
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Had the exact same thing happen to me. We were given the paperwork as we drove out, hubby passed it to me and I saw we were charged €6.95 per day for insurance. I rang Hertz in Orlando airport and left a voicemail and they never rang back. The following day I emailed Gold customer service and they never replied. When I was returning the car, I went to customer service and got nowhere even though I spoke to a Manager. I rang Gold Customer Service when I got home and explained what happened and they immediately refunded as I had proof (the email I sent).
sue97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 14, 02:51 AM  
Link to this Post
johnny1352
Imagineer

johnny1352's Reviews
Well after an hour in the airport and speaking to the most unhelpful miserable staff ever I had the money refunded. They initially stated that they could not remove the insurance as it was on the document. Then they said that no one was available who could do this when challenged and to come back another day. I persevered and they miraculously removed the charges and found someone who could do it. Lesson learnt don't leave the airport until all paper work checked and in order.
Old 3 Aug 14, 02:56 AM  
Link to this Post
gforce_iom
Imagineer

gforce_iom's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Glad you got this sorted... its beginning to wind me up the number of times they try to rip me off...

Just arrived yesterday and they tried to charge me extra saying the payment received was in dollars not sterling and there was a balance owing... WHAT... fully prepaid and nowt else to pay matey... soon sorted when asked for a manager!
1991-96 4 Trips~1997x1~1999x1~2001x1~2004x1~2004/2005x3/2006x2/2007x3/2009x2/2010x2~2011 Westridge Villa~2012 Highlands Reserve Villax3~2013 Hampton Lakesx2~2014 Hampton Lakesx2~2015 Hampton Lakesx1~2017 Sunset Ridgex2~Rosen Shingle Creek~2018 Sunset Ridgex1~2018 Rosen Shingle Creek~2019 Sunset Ridgex1 Hampton Lakesx1 Calabay Parcx1 2020 Highlands Reservex1 2022 Calabay Parcx1 2024 Hunters Creekx1
gforce_iom is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 14, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
cityblueboy
VIP Dibber

cityblueboy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I will never use hertz again even if they are cheapest. Our last experience was awful. Not booked through hertz gold so had to go to desk to collect, extremely pushy sales assistant who was pushing hard for me to upgrade. I quote my reply "unless it's free I don't want it" but she still persevered.
When she wasn't getting anywhere she moved onto the breakdown cover at $7 per day, I gave the same response and she gave me a look like I'd drowned her mother.
I had £300 worth of American Express vouchers to put towards the hire which caused consternation, anyway she tapped away at her computer and printed off the documentation. Surprise surprise I'd got the upgrade for free! But she had added on the breakdown cover, hoping I wouldn't spot it I'm sure. Fortunately I did and asked for it to be removed and told her I thought she was acting in a dishonest manner!
On checking the paperwork again the £300 voucher had been credited as $300, despite the T&C's stating it will be converted to local currency.
Cue arrival of manager who refused to alter the voucher amount and said that was all he would give us, as we already had a good deal with the free upgrade.
All in all an awful experience which I will never repeat.
I contacted American Express on returning home and they refunded all the hire car charges to me which was very good of them, but hertz are a shower
RANT OVER
cityblueboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 14, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Yuck! What an awful experience. I tell ya Hertz used to be one of the best car hire companies. That just isn't the case anymore. Their CS has gone down the toilet!
West Coast road trip 2018 (CO,CA,MT,ID,WA,OR,NV,UT) Yellowstone/Yosemite
Alabama, Florida & New Orleans - May 19
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 14, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I've always had excellent service from Hertz but haven't hired at MCO for a few years. I'm really hoping their standards haven't slipped or I'll be looking elsewhere for the next trip. We were hoping to avoid the desk but it sounds like you can get caught out either way.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread