Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Aug 14, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyboots
VIP Dibber

Insurance and Car hire excess Insurance

Is there a set Insurance package when your hire a car? When you get to the desk the hire company encourage you to buy top up Insurance. Can anyone advice when driving in Florida is it best to purchase the top-up Insurance from the care hire company. We are going with Alamo.
mickeyboots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 14, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickeyboots View Post
Is there a set Insurance package when your hire a car? When you get to the desk the hire company encourage you to buy top up Insurance. Can anyone advice when driving in Florida is it best to purchase the top-up Insurance from the care hire company. We are going with Alamo.
Depending on how long you go and how many times a year you rent a car.
As explained in the *sticky* post I made..it says:

Car hire excess insurance to cover tires, windows, under body of car that is NOT included in your hire (unless stated in your rate):
worldwideinsure/car-h...urance-usa.php
questor-insurance/b...re-excess.aspx You can get 15% off if you enter the code MSE2072 (code exp. 12/14) towards the end of the booking.

We buy the annual policy from Questor as it's £50 a year and covers excess WORLDWIDE..be it US or Europe.
It's cheaper than getting it from the car hire companies.
West Coast road trip 2018 (CO,CA,MT,ID,WA,OR,NV,UT) Yellowstone/Yosemite
Alabama, Florida & New Orleans - May 19
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 14, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyboots
VIP Dibber

insurance and car hire

I booked the car over the internet and the cost just includes customer facility charge $2.50 a day, private fee recovery charge $152.42, tyre and battery fee 2c a day, florida surcharge $2 a day, vehicle licence fee 78 cent a day, and sales tax at 6.5%, total fee $1868.24 (for 28/31 days). So I have not been charged for Insurances. So should I just pay for CDW, or other insurance plus excess. I also will need an additional driver cover.

Edited at 02:19 PM.
mickeyboots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 14, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyboots
VIP Dibber

Sorry just clarifying things with other half, the car is booked on the phone, as we could not book it on the internet as it is too far in advance, The quote we received is as above. We have just gone on alamo site and attempted to book (just to get figures) a large car, we looked at tahoe which is full size suv, but smaller than a premium suv. On-line it includes CDW and also extended protection (not sure what that is). Road side assistance protection is an add on at $5 a day, personal accident insurance is also an addition (although probably not needed with travel insurance).
I apologise my questions are so silly, just know very little about this and do not want to be ripped off.
Old 6 Aug 14, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickeyboots View Post
Sorry just clarifying things with other half, the car is booked on the phone, as we could not book it on the internet as it is too far in advance, The quote we received is as above. We have just gone on alamo site and attempted to book (just to get figures) a large car, we looked at tahoe which is full size suv, but smaller than a premium suv. On-line it includes CDW and also extended protection (not sure what that is). Road side assistance protection is an add on at $5 a day, personal accident insurance is also an addition (although probably not needed with travel insurance).
I apologise my questions are so silly, just know very little about this and do not want to be ripped off.
Did you look at alamo/brits ? They are a bit cheaper than the regular alamo.co.uk website That includes extra drivers for free + most coverage. Only thing it doesn't cover is the glass, under body and tyres. Some people buy the extra protection some don't and in most cases they buy a policy elsewhere because it can be costly if you purchase throught the car hire company.
West Coast road trip 2018 (CO,CA,MT,ID,WA,OR,NV,UT) Yellowstone/Yosemite
Alabama, Florida & New Orleans - May 19
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 14, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyboots
VIP Dibber

Nordictat thanks, you are very helpful. I do not live in Britain, but Ireland, I assume I cannot go with Alamo.co.uk brits?
Old 6 Aug 14, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread