Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Apr 16, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
marmite04
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

not dining in the resterants

hi, my hubby is asking what happens if we choose not to eat in the rotational resterants, but just eat in cabanas and the other ones through the day? is that allowed? how does this work with tipping, as we wouldnt be using the 3 or 4 people we are expected to tip?

he says hes not keen on what hes seen from youtubes of the meals on offer in the proper resterants... iv told him he;ll be dining alone as im in for the posh stuff haha
Old 2 Apr 16, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Yes its allowed but your tipping does actually go to the Cabanas and other staff as well. Cabanas during the day is staffed by those people in the main restaurants hence you still are expected to tip. That being said its your decision on whether you do or not. Cabanas has a similar menu to the main restaurants at night with table service for mains I believe (been awhile since I did this).
Old 3 Apr 16, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
toffeecush1on
Imagineer

On our first couple of cruises we didn't use the main restaurants and it worked fine for us. On the last one we did use the main restaurants and will be using them again in May. We are both very fussy eaters, but they were very good with us. I was even able to order from the children's menu and they also left things out if we didn't want them. We still gave tips though even when we didn't use the restaurants.

July/Aug 09 - Cumbrian Lakes Villa ~ Sept 10 - SSR
May 11 - SSR ~ Oct/Nov 11 - SSR
Aug/Sept 12 - OKW - DCL - HRH
June 13 - DCL - 7 Night Mediterranean Cruise ~ Christmas 13- Sandy Ridge Villa
May 14 - DCL - 9 Night Alaska Cruise ~ Sept 14 - DLRP ~ Dec 14 - DLRP
July 15 - DCL - 12 Night European Cruise
~ Sept 15 - DLRP
Feb/Mar 16 - SSR ~ May 16 - DCL - 7 Night Norwegian Fjords Cruise
Christmas 16 - All Stars ~ April 17 - WDW -DCL - WBPC - Disneyland
toffeecush1on is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 16, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
Yes its allowed but your tipping does actually go to the Cabanas and other staff as well. Cabanas during the day is staffed by those people in the main restaurants hence you still are expected to tip. That being said its your decision on whether you do or not. Cabanas has a similar menu to the main restaurants at night with table service for mains I believe (been awhile since I did this).
Cabanas has exactly the same food as the MDRS, just a small selection from each restaurant.
The food is not posh in the MDRs, it can be as plain as you like ... Plain chicken and chips for instance.

As Gismo rightly mentions, your servers are the ones that serve throughout the day in the quick service places, so it's still customary to leave the tip for them.

Edited at 05:55 PM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 16, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I'm really fussy. More in the way of being scared of food. Not in a "oh my god it's going to kill me" kind of way. But the fear of not liking something is so strong I would rather not try it. In case I didn't like it and then had to go without because I couldn't get anything else.

BUT. I'm really looking forward to trying new stuff on the cruise! Some of the menus in worried about. But I know I can order from the kids menu if needs be. Or if I'm really desperate, I'll go and get a pizza later on!

Everyone's reviews of the food seem like the waiters are brilliant, they seem happy to try and do it to your liking. I'm really looking forward to it!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 16, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Helenr
Imagineer

Helenr's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We didn't eat in any of the main restaurants on our cruise.

I'm allergic to fish and nuts and so I'm very wary of what I eat, and I didn't want to be explaining this in front of a load of strangers at our table.

However we still tipped as if we had eaten in them, I think it's really expected that you do.

'99, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08 x2, '09 x2,
'10 x2, '11, '12 x2, '13, '14, '15 x2, ‘16, ‘17, ‘18, ‘19 x2
Helenr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 16, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
pubguv
Proud to wear my Ears

Disney dream menus

Has any one been on the Dream for a four day cruise to the Bahamas if so do you have a menu or remember any items on the menu.We last went in 2014 and I wondered if they had updated them yet
pubguv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 16, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Helenr View Post
We didn't eat in any of the main restaurants on our cruise.

I'm allergic to fish and nuts and so I'm very wary of what I eat, and I didn't want to be explaining this in front of a load of strangers at our table.

However we still tipped as if we had eaten in them, I think it's really expected that you do.
It is a shame you felt self conscious as the waiters are fantastic with food allergies. You would only have to have told them once and all your meals would have been prepared in a separate part of the kitchen.

For those who are just fussy, the waiters are still extremely helpful. They will even bring you something else if you don't like what you order. You really can have whatever you want eg 2 main courses every night or whatever. The menus also always have simple choices like plain steak, chicken and salmon.

I can't imagine going on a Disney cruise and avoiding the main dining rooms. They are a major highlight for us even when my youngest was only 3.
Old 4 Apr 16, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I like that you can order two mains or 2 starts etc. I'm more inclined to try food if I know there's a back up just in case
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 16, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by pubguv View Post
Has any one been on the Dream for a four day cruise to the Bahamas if so do you have a menu or remember any items on the menu.We last went in 2014 and I wondered if they had updated them yet
Have a look on Disney Cruise Line Blog (.com) as they have lots of menus.