Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 11 Jan 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Just so I'm clear, we bought 130 points at the Poly which is one week during choice season. Does that mean that we are exempt from the reallocation of points providing we book during that season or does it have to be in the contract somewhere? I do remember our guide saying that we would always have enough points for the week we want to stay.
Old 11 Jan 19, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

Unfortunately, unless you paid extra for a guaranteed week then you may not have enough. It seems like a lot of people were told that, myself included only a few months ago, but it wasn't true. As I had already done a lot of research I was trying to make sure my guide was honest, and so far this is the only thing he 'lied' about. It's possible they didn't know, rather than it being deliberate. I know that one person on the other forum had their guide state it in an email so they had proof, but I don't know what came of that.
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

I've just had a look and a week at the Poly in choice is increasing to 137.
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
Unfortunately, unless you paid extra for a guaranteed week then you may not have enough. It seems like a lot of people were told that, myself included only a few months ago, but it wasn't true. As I had already done a lot of research I was trying to make sure my guide was honest, and so far this is the only thing he 'lied' about. It's possible they didn't know, rather than it being deliberate. I know that one person on the other forum had their guide state it in an email so they had proof, but I don't know what came of that.
Pretty s****y of Disney Problem is, where does it end. 2020 points for a 1 bed have increased loads, what's to say they won't increase them even more in the future and reduce the larger accommodations some more. It could just get silly

Edited at 05:04 PM.
act1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
I've just had a look and a week at the Poly in choice is increasing to 137.
Yep. Not ideal
Old 11 Jan 19, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
crux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Pretty s****y of Disney Problem is, where does it end. 2020 points for a 1 bed have increased loads, what's to say they won't increase them even more in the future and reduce the larger accomdations some more. It could just get silly
I'm assuming it's still the same as in 2001 when we first bought. DVD/DVC cannot increase the total number of points for a resort. So if there are increases in the points required for a week in a certain type of accommodation in one of the seasons, then somewhere else there has to be decrease. Normally there have just been tweaks around the edges to point allocations, but for 2020 (certainly in the studios) there have been big changes.

The changes for our BCV contract mean that instead of 14 nights every 3 years, we're down to 13 in Adventure season and only 12 in Choice season. This is an effective loss of 1/7th in the value of our points. So this year will probably be the year we sell our BCV contract.
Beach Club Villas 2003 2006 2009 2012 2014 2015 2018
Boardwalk Villas 2016
crux is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Pretty s****y of Disney Problem is, where does it end. 2020 points for a 1 bed have increased loads, what's to say they won't increase them even more in the future and reduce the larger accomdations some more. It could just get silly
There's two problems.

First is lockoff premium where the guy who has done the whatswrongwithdvc.com website has claimed points can be created out of thin air ad infinitum.
With Poly (and Copper Creek) you have another problem. Hundreds of thousands of points were sold on bungalows which I guess cost well under 500k each to build. Unbelievably profitable.
Unfortunately those points form part of the overall resort points, and how many people bought to stay in them? I suspect hardly any.
So all those points are sold to people chasing studios. At Copper Creek in particular, there are very few studios.
Then what's happened is some those cabin points, after the resort has been sold out, have been put back on studios.
Now DVC are quite entitled to balance points. If a "guide" (commissioned timeshare salesman) told you they wouldn't be changed, this is a basic of the contract you signed I'm afraid. I fully expected studios to go up at some stage.
But I did 12 months intensive research before buying in , and was oblivious to lockoff premium being able to allegedly create extra points out of thin air.
I'm also quite upset because anyone who has studied DVC availability for any length of time, or even looked at Skier Pete's charts, knows DVC 1 beds book last .
So I'm perplexed as to why 1 beds went up. The only thing I can currently think of is because they went up simply because the lockoff premium allows points to be manufactured, allegedly.
What I did expect would happen would be studios go up a bit, they charge more Oct to Dec, less another time (probably summer) and 1 beds come down, and this would balance the supply and demand.
What's happened now seems to make zero sense to me. One of the only 1 beds to get cheaper is the mega popular Kidani value!
So the guy over on his Whatswrongwithdvc.com website seems to be asking questions I'd also like to see an answer to before I can form a valid final judgment.
If however you were told the points couldn't change that's something to take up with DVC or the regulator in Florida, but if you don't have it in writing, good luck proving it I'm afraid.

Edited at 04:59 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I'm aware that I'm currently sounding "Anti-Disney" which is very far from the truth but I'm not as "in love" with them as I used to be
We came very close to buying a CC add-on, during our stay, my "force" wasn't as strong on that day or the guide used his Jedi mind trick! Fortunately I recovered quickly & went to think things over & am now at the stage where I'm not even sure that we will add-on! My main concern is that we buy enough to cover the 3 weeks every year & then they move the goalposts again, plus their decision with DVC2 has now devalued (theoretically) any Direct/Resale purchase I make as ultimately there is only one way to sell any contract & it will be in Big Bold writing that it can't be used at DVC2- now there's nothing that interests me about Riveria, stayed at CBR once & it was just about ok, but that's not to say that any future purchaser won't see that as a negative.
Maybe Disney has always been like this or I'm just getting more cynical as I get older but I also can't help feeling that nothing is changing for the better!
Sd
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I've just read an interesting thread on the other place that discussed DVC1 vs DVC2.

It's dated ... 2001. 18 years ago.

There were 6 resorts all with a 2042 expiry. Some quite irate posters claiming 100% that new DVC resorts could not be added with different expiry dates.

What is very clear is the rules will change, like it or not. So this talk of DVC2 is not actually DVC2 at all, it's more like DVC10.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I was up at 5.30am this morning so did the maths properly.

I currently need 995+/- per annum to get just shy of 10 weeks in a Preferred Studio at SSR and have done for years. That allows me to bank circa 5 Points

From 2020 I need 1134 or 952 for Standard.

Well Disney can go whistle Dixie if they think I am buying more Points.

We have a plan sorted that doesn't include selling at the moment but it's a close run thing.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List