Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 9 Jan 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
PhDisney
Gone all Goofy

The First Family Trip - 1st-7th January (Day 4)

So - onto Friday 4th January! We were expecting this to be even busier than Thursday, but it wasn't quite as bad. Still massively busy, but there was a little more breathing space in the quieter corners of the park.

Today wasn't a good day. Some good moments, but two tantrums caused tension between us all, and we had to have some cooling off time at the hotel.

We started the day in Walt Disney Studios - our first visit since arriving. As it was only just open (to the public - EMH had been going on for an hour but we were busy meeting Pluto in the hotel!), it was fairly quiet. Me and the boy had a go on the Cars ride opposite Crush's Coaster, which he enjoyed. Only a 5 minute queue. At the end, he so cutely and heartbreakingly said "more please daddy", but we had to get off.

From here, we decided to do the Studio Tram Tour, as I seem to remember it was quite good, and it was suitable for my wife. The canyon scene was as good as I remember, but the London scene was a little dull. This ride in general wasn't as good as I remember, and the bits between the two scenes were fairly drab.

I asked nicely if I could tick off some new rides on this trip. Well, new rides for me, even if they've been around a while. The first of these was done via FastPass: Rock n' Rollercoaster. Wow. Just wow. I loved it, but my word is that first launch intense! Allegedly you get 5Gs at points, and I believe it. My body was half way round the ride whilst my stomach was still in the station. Loved it though!

We got a FastPass for Ratatouille, but typically, as was the theme on this holiday, little Mr Mardy Pants decided he would throw a wobbler and need his nap as the time ticked round. My wife marched him furiously round the Studios to have a nap and sent me on my own to Ratatouille. Really mixed feelings about this ride. Yes the track system is impressive, as are some of the effects, but I felt the use of screens to be quite cheap and ineffective. I was expecting more, somehow. A good ride, but not one I rave about.

We made our way to the main park, as it was still only around lunch time, and decided to grab something to eat. Unfortunately, the lowest point of the holiday then occurred. Not content with his first tantrum and a nap that was too short, the devil himself was unleashed in the form of a 2 year old in a buggy. We thought he might be hungry, so headed to Frontierland to the Fuente Del Oro Restaurante, which looked like it had the shortest queue. After about 20 minutes of queuing and screaming, he didn't want any food. Close to throwing the little swine in the lake near Big Thunder Mountain, we marched him back to the hotel, feeling utterly drained. I even uttered, in the heat of the moment, that I regretted spending every single penny that I'd spent on the holiday. Of course, the little darling was cooing and talking to himself pleasantly by the time we reached Disney Village, and he sat and ate his cold, wrapped up Chicken Nuggets from Frontierland on the floor of our hotel room. We both said at the time that actually, it was nice to have 30 minutes in the room, and put our feet up, but the circumstances weren't pleasant which led to the opportunity. I also had a FastPass for Indiana Jones wasted, and this would have been another new ride for me, so I was disappointed. On the plus side, I kept the FP as a souvenir. You don't often get to keep these!

Anyway - after we'd all calmed down - we went back to the park, and had another go on Small World and Buzz, two rides which became our favourites of the holiday due to all three of us being able to go on. His face on Small World was so lovely to see. Totally awestruck. He also loved Buzz, and still goes round the house pretending to shoot the targets.

The evening meal was at Chez Remy, and given how he'd acted all day, we were dreading it. Arguably the poshest restaurant of our trip, along with Captain Jacks, and we were taking the spawn of Satan in there! Anyway - as it happened - his sticker book kept him happy, and we had a lovely meal in there. The service was slow though. Over 15 minutes for our drinks to arrive, and 20 minutes for our bread, by which time we'd finished the soup!

We decided that it was best to end today on a good note, so we headed back to the hotel and called it a day.

---

Rides (cumulative total): 16
(M = mum, D = dad, S = son)

Buzz Lightyear: 3 (M, D, S)
It's a Small World: 3 (M, D, S)
Pirates of the Caribbean: 1 (D, S)
Dumbo: 1 (M, D, S)
Le Pays des Contes de Fees: 1 (M, D, S)
Casey Junior: 1 (D, S)
Big Thunder Mountain: 1 (D)
Peter Pan: 1 (D)
Cars: 1 (D, S)
Studio Tram Tour: 1 (M, D, S)
Rock n' Rollercoaster: 1 (D)
Ratatouille: 1 (D)

Edited at 02:01 PM.
PhDisney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 19, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Aww what a shame about the tantrums, they can be very testing these kids can't they? I say that and I haven't even reached the terrible twos, eeek!

Your meal looks lovely, although shame about the slow service. Did your dining plan cover Chez Remy?
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
PhDisney
Gone all Goofy

Yep!

The Plus Dining plan covers everything except Walt's (Main Street USA), Auberge de Cendrillon (Fantasyland), Cafe Mickey (Disney Village), the Disneyland Hotel restaurants, and Buffalo Bill's.

You have to have a set menu though at table service restaurants, so in Chez Remy, we were offered the following:

Look for the little Plus symbol on the menus for your options. There are some more expensive set menus in Chez Remy which are for Premium dining plan holders, which have a face value of €50-60. You ARE allowed to use your Plus dining plan on this, or indeed from the a la carte menu, but you have to pay the difference.
PhDisney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
kadypants
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Aww, tantrums can be so testing can't they! Especially when you know you are doing something they would love!

Sounds like the day worked out well on balance though :-)
kadypants is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

13mth old DS here and already started with the temper tantrums! He sticks his tongue out and lets out the loudest screech imaginable. I predict we’ll have many moments just like yours on our first DLP trip!
Excellent ride count today though!
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List