Notices
Social Groups Social Chatty type threads

Old 19 Jan 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by orangeone123 View Post
Thank you guys, my head is in a spin. It has totally come out of the blue for me, we’ve been together 20 years, married 13, and have 2 boys aged 10 and 8. We always said if the worst was too happen, we would want to keep it civilised for the boys, we both had divorced parents and didn’t want to put our boys through that. At the moment things are civil, and I still want us to go on the holiday together, more than anything just to show the boys that even though we are separated we are still a family
- I think I have accepted that we have split, and I don’t see the holiday as a chance to get back together- I am purely thinking about the boys. He doesn’t want to go.

I’ve spoken to our TA, who has been brilliant, to go through the options, we have 1 week at CBR which would not be changed, then we had 2 weeks at a villa, with car hire, with a 2 night stay at HRH. She can change the booking and has offered me the 1st week at Disney, then a private transfer to HRH for 2 nights, then to a hotel on international drive for 12 nights, she has named Ramada playa ? But said others are available, we then a transfer included to the airport on the last day. We’ve changed to a hotel rather than villa, as I don’t feel confident about driving in the US. She would take DH off the booking and it would just be me and the boys, and there would be no extra costs for this. I’m not 100% about this option, my first thought is, what do I do when DS1 wants to go on a big ride and DS2 doesn’t? How do I manage that.
Another option is for my sister to come with me, she feels more confident than me about driving so we may just stay in the villa, but the problem in this is my sister doesn’t know if she can come yet. She has a job interview on Tuesday, if she does get the job she will just inform them that if the pre-booked holiday, however if she doesn’t get the job, at her current job she wouldn’t be able to get the time off.
And here’s the big problem, the TA doesn’t usually allow changes but they have under these circumstances, which I really appreciate, however I need to give them an answer - well today actually- but ASAP,
And the final balance needs paying by the 25 January, and once the final balance has been paid, then no changes are allowed. Oh and we can’t transfer husband plane ticket into sisters name, so we would have to but sister a new plane ticket, which at the minute is coming out at silly money.

Have no idea what to do 😭
I'm sorry that you're going through this!

It isn't much, but maybe we can help with some of your concerns.
For the rides: if only one son wants to ride something you can queue all together and as #1 is boarding the ride #2 and yourself can take the chicken exit if you're okay with the 10-year old riding alone (and if he is okay with it, obviously). I did this all the time with my mum on our very first trip. I was 15, though. Right when they ask "how many in your party" I would ask the CM if my mum could go to the exit. This minimises the time you spend apart, however it is up to you to decide whether your son can ride alone.

For the hotel: what are you planning to do while staying on I-drive? Will you be relying on hotel buses, the trolley, or Lyft/Uber? I would look for a place surrounded by food options you like so you can walk there. Also, you might be able to save some money buy staying at Royal Pacific instead of HRH while keeping the express pass benefit. Another option would be to spend all 14 non-CBR nights at Cabana Bay or Aventura without express passes. With more time at Universal the express passes wouldn't matter as much and you could enjoy a nicer pool and have Volcano Bay at your doorstep.

All the best to you and your boys!
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 05:20 AM  
Link to this Post
orangeone123
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Well, what a few days I have had - and I know there’s many more to come. He is has told me he’s not going on the holiday, and now I feel like I don’t want to go, how can I enjoy it when it’s supposed to be our family holiday. I just don’t know what to do, and it doesn’t help that I’ve only got until Thursday to make that decision.
orangeone123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat22
Excited about Disney

Mobile

So heartbreaking. I really don’t know what I would do if I was in your position. I wouldn’t want the kids to miss out, but not sure whether I would want to take them away so soon. Can you postpone? Then you can book a whole new holiday for just you and your boys when things are perhaps a little less raw.
Sending hugs 🤗 x
Kat22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Well, what a few days I have had - and I know there’s many more to come. He is has told me he’s not going on the holiday, and now I feel like I don’t want to go, how can I enjoy it when it’s supposed to be our family holiday. I just don’t know what to do, and it doesn’t help that I’ve only got until Thursday to make that decision.
I'm so sorry, is there any way you could post post to say September when things have settled down a little? That could also give you time to find someone to go with you? xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
shelly
Imagineer

shelly's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 24

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 42
Guidebook Reviews: 5
I’m so sorry to hear this. Sending you all my love.
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
I'm so sorry, is there any way you could post post to say September when things have settled down a little? That could also give you time to find someone to go with you? xx
I think this is a good idea. Maybe try to postpone it until your sister can definitely come with you, and give yourself a bit of time to get over the idea of it being a holiday he was supposed to be on.
shelly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat22
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Morning orangeone123, I’ve been thinking a lot about the situation you are in, and you know what, I’d go! Why should the kids miss out? (Plus it’s a huge fingers up to the ex). If he had any balls he would have told you before announcing the holiday to the boys.
It’s going to be scary, but you are a strong woman, and you will be fine! Go and make magical memories with your boys.xxx
Kat22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Kat22 View Post
Morning orangeone123, I’ve been thinking a lot about the situation you are in, and you know what, I’d go! Why should the kids miss out? (Plus it’s a huge fingers up to the ex). If he had any balls he would have told you before announcing the holiday to the boys.
It’s going to be scary, but you are a strong woman, and you will be fine! Go and make magical memories with your boys.xxx
I was just catching up on this thread and Kat22 has summed up exactly what I was about to type.
You can do it Orangeone xx
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
orangeone123
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thank you everyone, I’ve had more rough days, the husband is adement the boys should go, but he’s also adement he’s not taking them. Monday was a really bad day, and a had a breakdown at sons swimming lesson, my sister had to come and get him. I was so angry at him, for doing this to me, that I’m not proud of it, I went to his mums and punched him. In the early hours of Tuesday morning, I thought I’m not going on the holiday, I can’t go the holiday is tainted. So I posted on the main general chat thread asking people’s opinions, and I was overwhelmed by the response I got, and the support I got from everyone. I took myself off for a walk, and I thought you know what, he might be ok with letting them down, but I’m not. So I am going to take them, and maybe not today, maybe not on the holiday, but one day the boys will know what he did, and what I did, and they (hopefully) appreciate what I’ve done for them. So when we are swimming with the dolphins on DS2’s 9th birthday, I can look at him and know I did this. And the best news is, my sister is coming too 😁, she got her annual leave authorised by her area manager. Poor woman, never wanted to go to Florida, and this will be her 2 nd visit in 3 years, as she went with my brother and nieces in 2016, when he split up with his wife.
orangeone123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Thank you everyone, I’ve had more rough days, the husband is adement the boys should go, but he’s also adement he’s not taking them. Monday was a really bad day, and a had a breakdown at sons swimming lesson, my sister had to come and get him. I was so angry at him, for doing this to me, that I’m not proud of it, I went to his mums and punched him. In the early hours of Tuesday morning, I thought I’m not going on the holiday, I can’t go the holiday is tainted. So I posted on the main general chat thread asking people’s opinions, and I was overwhelmed by the response I got, and the support I got from everyone. I took myself off for a walk, and I thought you know what, he might be ok with letting them down, but I’m not. So I am going to take them, and maybe not today, maybe not on the holiday, but one day the boys will know what he did, and what I did, and they (hopefully) appreciate what I’ve done for them. So when we are swimming with the dolphins on DS2’s 9th birthday, I can look at him and know I did this. And the best news is, my sister is coming too 😁, she got her annual leave authorised by her area manager. Poor woman, never wanted to go to Florida, and this will be her 2 nd visit in 3 years, as she went with my brother and nieces in 2016, when he split up with his wife.
Glad your sister's holiday has been authorised even if she didn't really want to go to Florida. Good luck telling the boys.
Old 23 Jan 19, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat22
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’m so pleased to hear your sister can go with you. It will give you the support you need. X