Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 22 Sep 18, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Can I persuade my family to wear matching Tshirts?- August 2018 -Day 10- Hollywood Studios

Monday 27th August

We were up early today in order to get to Hollywood Studios for opening. I was very sneaky and went in and set an alarm on Dan’s phone for 6:40 from the lock screen. He was really impressed.

We had breakfast in the villa, the moon was still up!

Bagels, pop tarts, fruit, banana bread and the danish. Sadly I didn’t like it, it was more of a doughnut consistency and I’m not a fan of doughnuts.

I’ve written in my notes that we actually left the villa at 8:12 (I guess I was planning on leaving at 8) after sock gate! Can’t remember the exact details of sock gate but it will have surrounded the delightful trend of long sports socks worn with sliders and likely involves Dan wearing black ones. It’s a nice summery look.

We paid our $23 just after 8:30 and parked in Television. There was loads of building work being done, I guess to do with the Skyway thing. So, no trams and a walk through barriers.

We were held at the entrance until 9:00 and while waiting I checked the wait times for Slinky Dog Dash. The park has Extra Magic Hours every day from 7am for the whole of our stay so there was no opportunity for a rope drop dash. Slinky Dog was showing as a 45 minute wait. Rock n Roller and Tower of Terror were only 5 minutes so we decided we’d head to these first.

Dan had decided at the start of the holiday he would go on Tower of Terror so we went on this first. Guess what, he loved it. So we went straight back on as the wait was still only 5 minutes.

Then to RNRC but the wait had gone up to 20 mins so we decided to single rider and pretty much walked on. Dan refused to do this as it goes upside down. He’s so frustrating! I know he would love it but he’s so stubborn. Josh went straight back on again.

Then to Toy Story Land. I was so excited to see this. I’d seen this on Tim Tracker’s vlogs and it just looked amazing. It reality, it was amazing! The theming was fantastic, there were seats made out of dominoes and wooden train track. I loved the lights strung across the area. It was so colourful. It was also crazy busy. (Photo overload)

The wait for Slinky was 55 minutes but we couldn’t get a fast pass and wanted to ride so we waited. We joined the queue about 10:15 and it was hot.

The start of the queue is very open with no shade, there were a couple of fans dotted around but it was a hot queue. There was even a stall selling water part way round the queue so we bought one and then refilled it from a water fountain. The boys played games on the MDE app whilst waiting.

All around the queuing area are Andys drawings for his idea for the ride, it’s such a fab concept, some people are so clever.

Dan and I were at the back. The ride was great, it has two launches within it and they are quite fast!

We then queued 40 minutes for Alien Swirling Saucers. I wasn’t actually going to bother with this but as we were there I though we might as well. One of the most boring queues! I wasn’t a fan of the ride either, it was very jerky. But hey, we tried it.

Love these restrooms!

It was now around 12 midday and time for a drink, we needed a cool down and the snack place in Toy Story Land is open air so we went to ABC commissary. The boys decided they would have a kids burger meal and Andy and I shared a drink. We had a bit of grumpiness around this time! Heat, hunger, thirst, busyness all contributing factors. Consequently no photos

The boys went off to do Star Tours and Andy and I mooched behind, looking down the new Central Avenue which is shop facades and leads to Star Wars Land.

We saw Baseline Tap which has replaced our old fave, Writers Stop.

We then went to join the Star Tours queue but it jumped to 30 minutes and we were now in our FP+ window for RNRC so we left the queue. Dan still wouldn’t ride. So it was just the three of us and Josh and Andy went on again as single riders. I was starting to get a headache so didn’t go on again.

We then had a FP+ for TOT. We were sat on the back row and the boys decided we would do YMCA for the photo.

Looks like we may have spoiled someone’s engagement photo.

There was a Joffrey’s at the exit. I liked the sound of the frozen flame (loving the frozen drinks this year!) this was a mixture of strawberry and passion fruit. The boys had a doughnut each.

We decided to go back to Star Tours and walked through the shops on Sunset Boulevard for the air con. The boys had fun trying stuff on! Josh particularly liked this Sully tail.

This hurt his head hence the face

I thought that little hat was hilarious it was attached to a hair clip and I just thought it would look so funny.

As soon as we joined the Star Tours queue it started raining. Proper Floridian rain. Luckily we had the ponchos with us, everyone was trying to squish up into the entrance as the queue started just outside. The CMs could’ve come and rerouted the queue through the little forest bit to the right where there would’ve been shelter, but they didn’t. The queue didn’t move for ages.

The ride was good, I was the rebel spy! We saw clips that were new to us.

When we came out it was still raining.

It was nearly time for our Toy Story Mania FP+ so I suggested we call into One Man’s dream on the way past to have a look at the model of Star Wars Land. I debated a photo with Star Lord. We sat and watched the film and when we came out it had stopped raining.

So to Toy Story Mania.

Love this ride but it was really making my headache worse not sure if it was the 3D effects, consequently I was rubbish. Andy got 161500 and I got 94300.

Outside the ride there were a couple more ‘walls’ - a popsicle stick one and a checkers one. There was a photopass photographer there and I asked her to take one on my phone.

And that’s the last Toy Story Land photo!

We were done then. Our TSM FP+ hadn’t been until 3pm ish and there were no more FP+ available for anything we wanted to do. No one wanted to see any shows and none of us really wanted to come back to do the evening shows. We left at 4:30 so that was a long day for us!

We called back at the villa for a quick change and some ibuprofen and then out to my tea choice. Manny’s at Haines City.

Amazing bread and salad to start, the server actually asked if we wanted everything in the salad so I said she could leave out those funny pepper things.

Andy and I both had steak and ribs, Josh had steak and Dan had chicken fajitas.

The food, the service, everything was fantastic. Andy actually commented that this was the first meal where everything had been done properly and cooked perfectly. Dan also said it was his favourite meal so far. So big thumbs up to Manny’s.

We got some puddings to go. Key lime pie and chocolate cake.

We were home by 7:30 and had tea and pudding on the lanai. I wrote up my notes and Dan went in the pool. I fell asleep out there, the loungers were so comfy!

Bed as usual at 10pm.
Old 22 Sep 18, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That was a good way to wake Daniel up
You got quite a lot done before the rain came,

I must remember to ask for no pickles at Manny’s

Joan
Old 22 Sep 18, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Another fabulous day - except for your handache (I get those too..). I hope it went quickly.

Dinner sounds lovely - always a big plus when everything is as it should be!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
That was a good way to wake Daniel up
You got quite a lot done before the rain came,

I must remember to ask for no pickles at Manny’s

Joan
He removed the option after I’d done it a couple of times!

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Another fabulous day - except for your handache (I get those too..). I hope it went quickly.

Dinner sounds lovely - always a big plus when everything is as it should be!
It did after drugs! It was so good
Old 23 Sep 18, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The toy story land theming really was great. I loved the ToT YMCA photo, hopefully the engagement couple didn't mind too much. It sounds like another fun day where you all got to do as much as you wanted, plus you were the rebel spy!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 18, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Great day at HS. Bit of a wait for Slinky Dog, so glad you enjoyed it. The food at Manny's looks fab.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 18, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The toy story land theming really was great. I loved the ToT YMCA photo, hopefully the engagement couple didn't mind too much. It sounds like another fun day where you all got to do as much as you wanted, plus you were the rebel spy!
I know! I hope they didn’t

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Great day at HS. Bit of a wait for Slinky Dog, so glad you enjoyed it. The food at Manny's looks fab.
It was a great day and such good food
Old 25 Sep 18, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Sounds like a lovely day, great photos too. I can't wait to see Toy Story Land.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 18, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

Sounds like a great day Emma .

Slinky Dog is a fab ride, especially at the back and I’m with you on Alien Swirling Saucers...way too jerky and not worth the wait .

We were there at the same time as you and also had some of those brief middle of the day strops...we definitely learnt that August can be challenging! But when you get home you forget about how hot you were and just remember all the fun, don’t you?
moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
Sounds like a lovely day, great photos too. I can't wait to see Toy Story Land.
Thank you it was so good
Originally Posted by moosha View Post
Sounds like a great day Emma .

Slinky Dog is a fab ride, especially at the back and I’m with you on Alien Swirling Saucers...way too jerky and not worth the wait .

We were there at the same time as you and also had some of those brief middle of the day strops...we definitely learnt that August can be challenging! But when you get home you forget about how hot you were and just remember all the fun, don’t you?
Definitely! Or long to be that hot again!