Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jan 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DUNXandWILL
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

CLB_14 I'm currently going to CBT through my Dr's for my anxiety and to be honest I feel like all I do is cry and the work sheets he has given me to fill in, I don't think make me feel any better... I just end up reading and re-reading the situations I have written down over and over again (which just feeds my anxiety).

I left feeling more anxious after the last session as he kept going silent and I panicked and kept talking to try and fill in the awkward silences!

My next session is tomorrow and I'm actually feeling more anxious about going as I don't want to sit in any awkward silences.

Dunx

DUNXandWILL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
2019DisneyEvans
Excited about Disney

CBT is great for coping strategies and is the one offered on the nhs as it’s quick and effective. However it doesn’t always address underlying issues. If you can afford some self funded sessions with a BACP registered person centred therapist you may find it useful, especially to help with your grief
2019DisneyEvans is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

No ! No help whatsoever.
Old 22 Jan 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

CBT massively helpful for me in the late 90s, also for general anxiety disorder and causing work problems. We’re all different so the below may not be relevant but here goes...

- for me, it was all out of a book. 20 years on, I still refer to it occasionally. Can name said book if that’s helpful and allowed on here.
- I can see how the exercises can seem boring but I tend to think of you have genuinely bad anxiety you won’t be thinking about whether they’re boring, only about trying anything that may help the sensations go away.
- yes, it took some time to get better. About 2-3 years
- one of the posters said above it helps the symptoms not the cause. An absolute pivotal point for me was learning to accept that I have anxiety attacks and that this is no better/worse than some else having asthma, for example. Paradoxically, accepting you have anxiety attacks is what greatly lessens getting them in the first place. Good CBT will focus on the cause not just the symptom but I can see where that comment is coming from.

OP - you noted you felt worse by surfacing the anxieties. Do you feel you’re being judged badly for having them? Would you judge someone else badly for having them? Answer to the last question is ‘no’ I expect so don’t assume others will think less of you. I may be completely off kilter with that comment but anxiety is often caused by how you assume others perceive you.

Hope things get easier for you.

Edited at 09:13 PM.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m in session 11 of 15 cbt, mainly for work related issues of not being able to turn off and over working!

I’ve found it life changing. It’s enabled me to understanding my behaviour and why I am as I am. I’m beginning to see behaviour changes as a result but that will take years to truly embed as it’s years that have got me here. It’s bloody hard work but keep at it and challenging yourself.
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It worked for me, luckily.

My tipping point was learning about the "Worry Tree"... I've been a "worrier" since I was a child. Now I don't let myself worry over nothing. I recognise my triggers, when I'm starting the cycle again and pull myself out using the worry tree.

Over simplifying it:
- Can I do anything about it?
- Nope.
- Stop worrying about it then.

Old 22 Jan 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

I’ve never had CBT but I’ve had counselling following a horrible betrayal of trust (culminating in a marriage breakdown). It was really tough and I spent many sessions in floods of tears.

Fast forward 6 years and I trained as a business coach which meant being coached myself many times over a year. Honestly, THE most difficult thing I have ever done, all based on psychodynamics and transactional analysis so many hours of soul searching to understand my being. Many, many tears and often wanted to give up.

However, I now understand myself much better, recognise what pushes my buttons and can, in the most, catch myself and recognise when I need to stop, breathe and get back on an even keel.

A lot of my anxiety comes from fantasising about what others are thinking about me and the constant gremlin on my shoulder telling me I’m not good enough.

There are a few books that might help you understand your behaviour (and then allow you to start making changes) which can be bought cheaply.

Most importantly, you have to be committed to making a change - it sounds simple but script behaviour is comfortable for us particularly in times of stress so it’s challenging and requires determination.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you so much everyone.

The worry tree is currently pinned on my desk - I actually love it. But it's training my brain to think like it. For now i'm just going to look at it and follow the flow chart everytime I start to feel my chest tightening.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by anna68 View Post
I’m in session 11 of 15 cbt, mainly for work related issues of not being able to turn off and over working!

I’ve found it life changing. It’s enabled me to understanding my behaviour and why I am as I am. I’m beginning to see behaviour changes as a result but that will take years to truly embed as it’s years that have got me here. It’s bloody hard work but keep at it and challenging yourself.
Do you find things improving? Mine is mostly stemmed from work and over compensating to the detriment of my personal life.

I can't ever see me not being glued to my work phone. It's not because I want to be, it's because i'm anxious if i'm not and i'm just feeding into those anxieties.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by CLB_14 View Post
Do you find things improving? Mine is mostly stemmed from work and over compensating to the detriment of my personal life.

I can't ever see me not being glued to my work phone. It's not because I want to be, it's because i'm anxious if i'm not and i'm just feeding into those anxieties.
I won't pretend to understand your issues at all, but would it help to ask a colleague to take your phone at 5pm (or finish time)? That way, you are giving someone else the responsibility and you will be 'guilt free'?

I have no clue if your anxiety works this way, but it seems to me that you feel guilt about stopping work, that your work is not good enough etc?

I had CBT for my phobia - it helped me a fair bit. I'm not cured by any stretch, but I'm definitely better and can cope better with it. I will never be rid of it and in a way, I am kind of scared of being cured as the phobia is me. Strange? Almost like a comfort blanket and I go into auto mode.

Small changes and take every day as a different day. I start each day by thinking about something positive that I will achieve that day - it could be something stupid like not having too much tea, or it could be something serious like doing 3 things from my worklist before a cup of tea.

You've got this - believe you can conquer your anxiety and you are part way there.

Joa

p.s. Sorry, just regarding that worry tree (love it). We have a saying at work - control the controllables. Same as the worry tree really, if you can do something then do it, but if you can't, stop worrying about it.

Edited at 03:17 PM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List