Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Aug 20, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Rather annoyed at HMRC

My mother died last September and I was executor to the will. It was a steep learning curve on what to do but got through it and dispensed the money as she instructed.

Today 9 months after the I had the Sheriff Court in Scotland agree to the dispersal I received a letter from HMRC demanding that I pay them £57 that they had overpaid to her estate.

I phoned, was on hold for 50 minutes at they are still all working from home apparently and then got the person who could not see just how insensitive their whole letter and demands were.

As executor they will now persue me for the money. Its a small amount but to me its not the point. I asked why they were requesting this 11 months after her death and they stated that it was the fault of her NHS pension who had stated to them she had earned £100 (roughly) that year than they first had said. I did point out her earnings were less than 12500 for the year at the time of her death and therefore no tax could be taken no matter if they had got the sum wrong. However Mr Jobsworth was having none of it. I personally was due them £57.

It has brought back too many things today. I had to reopen the envelopes of accounts that I thought I had put away for good. I have spoken to the pension people (who were superb). I as yet to not know if I have to pay anything or all of it. The amount is insignificant. The hurt isn't.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Feel for you, I had similar issues with my dad’s mobile phone company. Hope you get it sorted, big hugs xx
Old 11 Aug 20, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Shocking. I think that woth all this hoing on they would have more important things than to comb over a deceased persons tax. I hope you get it sorted. I know its not the amount Its the principle behind it all.
Old 11 Aug 20, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

When my Dad died my mum tried to get the BG gas account changed to her name, the telephone operator asked if she had the bill payers permission ? My mum suggested that they write to him at the cemetery !
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by kiwiinabd View Post
When my Dad died my mum tried to get the BG gas account changed to her name, the telephone operator asked if she had the bill payers permission ? My mum suggested that they write to him at the cemetery !
FIL passed away recently - apparently when an account holder dies the direct debit system sends a message saying the account holder has deceased.

British Gas’s Homecare sent him a letter saying ‘sorry you are leaving us’!
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

£57 ? It’s already cost HMRC more than that to produce the letter and speak to you on the phone. By the time they process your payment and complete the paperwork for the ‘estate, they will racked up costs of £200+. To recoup £57. A lesson in how to utilise taxpayers money.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I had a similar thing with British Gas after my dad had died. I eventually got through to a dedicated Bereavement Team who were really sympathetic and wrote off the £21 they were threatening me for. Are you able to get a response from them on live chat and see if they have a similar team to help.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by kiwiinabd View Post
About 6 months after my FIL passed, Virgin media started writing to him, just promotional stuff, but obviously upsetting for my MIL. When we called them to say please stop, they wanted to talk to the "account holder" - 1 - he's dead, do you have a ouija board, 2 - he never had an account, we don't know how you got his details, just stop the junk.

When we finally got through to them, they sent him a follow up letter asking how his complaint had been dealt with.

Now, I get that posted marketing is prepared in advance, and there's a pipeline, so anything within about 6 weeks, I could have ignored. That was just beyond a joke.

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

In the OP’s situation I’d be chucking this one straight at my MP .
I’m actually quite horrified at this as my own company have this down to a fine art (sadly I had first hand experience of it this week) dedicated team ,with specific training .
The only time I’ve seen it wobble was when a customer called to cancel but for whatever reason didn’t say why so was treated as if they were cancelling mid contract rather than as a deceased customer. Soon sorted out once the reason was known though. I can’t imagine most big companies don’t have a similar process or dedicated departments though . Everyone we’ve spoken to so far this week has.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I had to pay HMRC after my Mum died and dealt with it all by letter.

The agencies/organisations I dealt with were all great especially those with dedicated bereavement Dept's like Duchy mentions.

BT were cheeky as they tried to get me to upgrade my own package! Soon put in their place but at least he apologised.

NatWest were the best I must say.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List