Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Aug 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
speedwayfan
Imagineer

speedwayfan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Utility room help

Although we've got quite a large property I've never had a designated utility room.

However, as my DH retires from full time work on Friday, we've decided to now use the room he used as a study. It's approximately 3m x 5m.

Didn't want to spend a fortune, so asked Howdens to do me a drawing etc. Not really happy as he seemed to really just do a small kitchen plan with lots of units I don't really need.

I want the space to be more functional, washing machine, tumble drier, sink, vacuum cleaner, ironing board etc. Thought of a hanging rail for drying stuff too.

Anybody got any must haves or gadgets that they use constantly and wouldn't be without or any general pictures or ideas?

I have our kitchen designer who will make bespoke units coming next week for some ideas and now think it could be worth spending a bit more

Jill
speedwayfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

Definitely plenty storage for ironing board, hoover etc. We have an extra freezer in our utility room and also keep a steam cleaner in there. I have sturdy clothes horses in mine but if I was designing one I would definitely have a pulley
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I have a long narrow one I’ve got a just 2 floor cupboards a double with sink and a single that has a pull out laundry basket same in wall cupboards plus a tall larder type unit I also have a cupboard that has the hoover mop bucket steam cleaner ironing board etc in it
Also my washing machine and under surface freezer wouldn’t be with out my pulley
Love it old fashioned that it is
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Apart from the usual what I most use in mine is a low level (floor) sink for filling buckets and cleaning Wellington boots etc and a usual height sink I can soak whites in, plus I have a fan that is on 24/7 to keep the moisture and smells out
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
speedwayfan
Imagineer

speedwayfan's Reviews
Thanks so much, Gryff the things you've got in there seem to match with what I want to achieve. The low level sink could be worth thinking about, my DH is a runner and at this time of year I forget but, in the winter, his trainers come back pretty muddy.

When you say a 'pulley', do you mean the old type that comes from the ceiling - I'm old enough to remember my Granny having one of those!

Jill
speedwayfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Our utility is tiny. We took out the sink unit to fit the separate dryer in to save trips to the garage.

I really miss the sink.

If I had room I'd probably have a second fridge or freezer, as family of four ours is always too small.

I like the idea of a low sink.

Not sure I'd give up a room to create a utility though. Depends on what other rooms you already have. Thinking resale value at a future date or circumstances changing and needing an additional room downstairs.

Edit to add: 3m x5m could you split in half and get downstairs WC or wet room if you don't have one? There's a lot you could do with a space that size.

Edited at 12:16 PM.
Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Yes an old fashioned you must think call them a maiden but in Scotland it’s a pulley
I kept the shower base electric shower in what is now the mud room for dirty golf gear muddy boots and dogs just put a longer hose on it
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
speedwayfan
Imagineer

speedwayfan's Reviews
Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
Our utility is tiny. We took out the sink unit to fit the separate dryer in to save trips to the garage.

I really miss the sink.

If I had room I'd probably have a second fridge or freezer, as family of four ours is always too small.

I like the idea of a low sink.

Not sure I'd give up a room to create a utility though. Depends on what other rooms you already have. Thinking resale value at a future date or circumstances changing and needing an additional room downstairs.

Edit to add: 3m x5m could you split in half and get downstairs WC or wet room if you don't have one? There's a lot you could do with a space that size.
I totally get where you're coming from as it is a decent sized room for a utility, but it's at the end of the house very close to the kitchen.

We live in a converted bungalow, our master bedroom and en suite is upstairs. There's only the two of us most of the time so have plenty of other space downstairs with 3 double bedrooms, shower room, dining kitchen, lounge and sun room.

We've lived here for 31 years, and think they'll be taking me out in a box

Jill
Old 12 Aug 20, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
speedwayfan
Imagineer

speedwayfan's Reviews
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Yes an old fashioned you must think call them a maiden but in Scotland it’s a pulley
I kept the shower base electric shower in what is now the mud room for dirty golf gear muddy boots and dogs just put a longer hose on it
Thanks. Yep it was what I thought - did a bit of 'googling' and definitely a good idea. Think I'll also have an extractor fan fitted when the electrician does the new lighting. There are full windows in there but would be good in the winter months.

Our little dog (she's white) gets washed in the downstairs shower room pretty regularly so got that covered.

All been really helpful. Thank you.

Jill
Old 12 Aug 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

We have the usual sink cupboards, along with another freezer ( 3 draw ) same colour make as washing machine, I like having lots of work surface for sorting & folding, actually just had the old wooden frame and single glazed windows replaced
It looks great.