Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Aug 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Gull
Imagineer

[QUOTE=Mr Tom Morrow;14611068

The constant them from these Consultants is - ''The NHS cannot be all things to all people''.

People are ever more demanding, ever more impatient and have ever higher expectations. The NHS couldn't meet those expectations in a million years.

That's their view so maybe these Private GP Services can ease the load?[/QUOTE]

Do they not do that already though ? Those of us with private cover use it when needed. I’m just concerned we end up like USA and some of those most at need don’t get all the help required because they can’t afford it.
Gull is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Was bad enough for an appointment before covid. You were lucky to get through to reception. Appointments for same day gone by 8.10 at 8am opening. A call back from doctor within 24 hours.

Since covid it has been impossible.

Don't get me started on the dentists and their 8 month waiting list for a checkup. Since covid ours have been cancelled with no ability to rebook. Dd had pain in a tooth which was worrying, dentist refused to see her and wanted pictures only.

We went to a private dentist who xrayed and diagnosed a tooth not growing correctly (mouth too small for all the teeth coming through), unfortunately an extraction but cannot be helped. She will also need a brace. Cannot get referral from NHS dentist as they wouldn't see her even after the private one. 2 year waiting list after referral. Looks like we will be paying 2.5k for private.

Edited at 04:57 PM.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
An emotive subject I know and some Practices are awesome. Some however aren't.

The story:-

My Daughter felt she has a skin infection
Rings the Surgery at 8.00am for a morning appointment
On hold for an hour and when answered told all morning appointments gone - ring back at 1.00pm

However she is busy working.

Rings a Private Doctor her Employer uses so no charge to her. Books an appointment to suit her working hours and gets a video call bang on the time booked. 5 min consultation, prescription issued, sent to the Asda Pharmacy she nominated and ready to pick up 30 mins later.

OK she pays for the private prescription but how handy.

Now not all Employers offer this but she could have done the same and paid for a consultation with for example a Lloyd's Pharmacy GP.

Seems a brilliant idea for some.

As an aside she can claim the drug cost back from her Employer as she hasn't lost any working hours.
Is it about £75 to see a private doctor? I hope she's ok now.

I believe we live in the same county as your daughter. I phoned GP today at 11am, all call backs done by GP had gone, only emergency calls left. She offered to take my details for a call back in two weeks. To receive a same day call I have to start phoning at 8am (I start work at 8.30 but luckily still working from home so I can do it, normally I'd be driving). I want a referral to the spinal unit, consultant told me to phone for a referral if necessary when he discharged me in December but I bet I don't get it.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Our gp surgery is fab, still so during covid. Needed a review for heart meds- done on phone, booked in for a blood test, doc rang me back with results. All arranged for my day off which is noted on my file

Our surgery has always seemed OK. Perhaps we are lucky... we have a modern training practice with more than 10GPs, a nursing team and in house phlebotomy, minor surgery unit and pharmacist.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Sadly where we live they just keep building houses as our town is covered by three different council but no extra doctors surgeries etc. We are also within easy access of the city centre by train, tram or bus.
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

I used to use the private firm Push Doctor. The online service was phenomenal - but it was taken over by the NHS 6 months ago and thats the last Ive heard of it.
Old 12 Aug 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sw16
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I phoned the surgery yesterday at around 11.20 got a call back from the doctor around 1. They discussed things over the phone but needed to look at it so gave me an appointment for today. I was in pain so it wasn't a regular appointment for which the waiting time is around 2 weeks I think.
Old 12 Aug 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by borntoshop View Post
Is it about £75 to see a private doctor? I hope she's ok now.

I believe we live in the same county as your daughter. I phoned GP today at 11am, all call backs done by GP had gone, only emergency calls left. She offered to take my details for a call back in two weeks. To receive a same day call I have to start phoning at 8am (I start work at 8.30 but luckily still working from home so I can do it, normally I'd be driving). I want a referral to the spinal unit, consultant told me to phone for a referral if necessary when he discharged me in December but I bet I don't get it.
I honestly don't know what the cost is and her Employer is so progressive and sees their investment which is non contributory as a vital tool for Employee 'wellness' Wish mine had done it!

Actually her GP Surgery is very good but she is snowed under with work so couldn't afford the time to faff around ringing up constantly.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Short answer is no, they are not going to disappear. They are though going to adapt, finally.

One thing that the last few months has done is broken the back of much of the resistance to change. Healthcare has been shifting to wellness and you only need the physical body present when you actually need to touch it. Otherwise you can do everything remotely more efficiently.

This isn't just GP's though it is also referral consultations and follow ups in acute care settings.

You also have retailers who will be offering GP services with consultations, clinics, inoculations etc. Currently many are private, but they are working with the NHS to provide those services too.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

I hate our surgery they only do on the day appointments, which is fine if you have the time to hold on when you’re 15th in the queue while at work 🙄when I complained about it I was told it’s because patients were booking an appointment & not showing up🙄therefore penalising the rest of us, on the digital board in the surgery it shows the cost to their surgery alone of DNS( did not show) & it’s regularly thousands each month 😢
I rang up during COVID & they said someone will ring me back, said don’t bother 😢
I think this new video consultation will just put patients off
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List