Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Sep 14, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

I've been thinking a lot about this.

I think that having strong feelings about a subject generally is one thing, but there have been more personal attacks lately. ...It's a downside of the internet, but not usually The Dibb (one of the reasons I appreciate the way it's moderated ).

It's easy to forget, but we don't know what we think/assume we know about each other. (Note to self, too, of course.) We see a piece of a 100,000 piece puzzle and think we have the whole picture - but really we're jumping to conclusions. Someone on here said it so well recently (can't find the post now) - we don't know what's going on with other people or what their motives are.

And some of us sometimes use too many words and it can seem heavy-handed when our motives are very different.

There's so much room for misinterpretation, isn't there?

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 14, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiela
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
I've been thinking a lot about this.

I think that having strong feelings about a subject generally is one thing, but there have been more personal attacks lately. ...It's a downside of the internet, but not usually The Dibb (one of the reasons I appreciate the way it's moderated ).

It's easy to forget, but we don't know what we think/assume we know about each other. (Note to self, too, of course.) We see a piece of a 100,000 piece puzzle and think we have the whole picture - but really we're jumping to conclusions. Someone on here said it so well recently (can't find the post now) - we don't know what's going on with other people or what their motives are.

And some of us sometimes use too many words and it can seem heavy-handed when our motives are very different.

There's so much room for misinterpretation, isn't there?
Agreed.

There needs to be an awareness on both sides. Yes, if you are asking for opinions, be aware that others may think differently to you and don't take it personally just because someone disagrees. However, if you are giving an opinion, take a second to think how you are expressing it and whether your words could be misinterpreted.

I have noticed more personal/snippy comments recently too and it isn't nice.

Let's all make the effort to be thoughtful with our words and make the Dibb a happy place to come to to get away from the 'real' world!
rosiela is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 14, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Well said that man!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 14, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
THECRAZYMOUSE
VIP Dibber

I am confused, why certain are post allowed to stay when they obviously seem to only want to antagonise or be offensive, whilst others when pointing this out are edited. Thank you Lisa
THECRAZYMOUSE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 14, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by THECRAZYMOUSE View Post
I am confused, why certain are post allowed to stay when they obviously seem to only want to antagonise or be offensive, whilst others when pointing this out are edited. Thank you Lisa
You have given the answer in your question, you said 'SEEM', sometimes a comment might be seen as antagonistic by some but not by others.

We often get reported posts complaining about something but when we look at it we think it is nothing more than a different opinion.

We will edit or delete posts that are made personal or attacking another member.

Members can post different opinions that may not agree with the majority, there is nothing wrong with that, we are all allowed our own thoughts and opinions.

If you feel there is a problem with a post then by all means report it by clicking the red triangle at the bottom of the post. Once you have reported the post make sure you don't then go and retaliate against the poster you are reporting. Offer your own opinion but don't attack the poster.

Ocassionaly we will see a comment from a member that comes across as incensistive or harsh and most people will disagree with the comment, but just because people disagree doesn't mean that the poster should be attacked, be called a troll or worse!
Old 8 Oct 14, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Good reminder . I've noticed a few this week x
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 14, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
THECRAZYMOUSE
VIP Dibber

I will definitely press the report triangle in future. I fully understand that people can have and express their own opinions, it sometimes goes further than differing opinion. Thank you Lisa
THECRAZYMOUSE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 14, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I agree that there does seem to be a number of opinions expressed that could cause offence. I do not comment or reply to these and I am pleased that they are locked
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 14, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
RachF
Apprentice Imagineer

Well said, I've stopped posting so much and gone back to lurking, although I will totally admit to being a total wuss who hates being criticised and takes everything personally, but that's for me to deal with and maybe just no make any posts that lead others to give strong opinions on that I can't handle.
Bullies and nasty people though should be stopped and deservedly banned...
Old 14 Nov 14, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have seen many snippy responses on here, more in the last couple of years!

I do think a lot of the problem is how we 'read' a post. I think a lot of it has to do with the mood we are in often. If we read a post when we're in a grump we will always read it in a negative way?

I agree with another who said that there are a certain 'few' who always seem to post in an argumentative way.

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread