Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 8 Aug 18, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Fantastic news I’ve alwyas found the cast members at Epcot really helpful and Universal. Animal Kingdom a woman made me cry before agreeing to give me a DAS. Yes I can use a wheelchair, but not all the time as it makes everything worse. Long story short - I need a DAS lol.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sammi71
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 22
I'm worried about asking for one I've got a bent spinal cord that means sitting or standing still for long periods of time can cause me to collapse I do use crutches for long periods of walking but sitting in a wheelchair creates more pain. Not sure I now qualify for one
sammi71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

All you can do is go and ask, they will advise whether they are willing to provide a DAS pass - which I am sure by the sounds of it they will do.

Thing is there is no harm in asking and tbh it doesn't beat the queue like it used to so there is no benefit in anyone asking for it that isn't disabled/or require one so hopefully they see that only genuine people are asking, which is quite clear in your situation.
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

I saw a family go up and DEMAND a das. I didn't see the outcome as they were taken away to an office.

I took my DD and quietly explained the situation (non visable disability), and explained how queuing could effect her. The CM could not have been nicer. He was so lovely with DD, who is quiet embarrassed, and sorted the DAS quickly for us.

My attitude is, if you ask nicely, are polite, and listen, then people generally want to help you xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sammi71 View Post
I'm worried about asking for one I've got a bent spinal cord that means sitting or standing still for long periods of time can cause me to collapse I do use crutches for long periods of walking but sitting in a wheelchair creates more pain. Not sure I now qualify for one
Just go and talk to them They're really good with it I have a different condition but I have to do a mixture of wheelchair/crutches/own legs. Didn't ask any questions bless him and gave me one straight away xx
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 01:57 AM  
Link to this Post
patpluto
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by SiandAm View Post
In 2016 Disney did indeed refuse a DAS for someone in our party that had had a severe truma just a few months before ( it's not my place to go into details but she definitely warranted one and required one)
The lady that we dealt with was very unsympathetic and implied that her needs were exagarrated. It was very stressful at the time. So it does happen. We did get a very big apology from Disney after our return but at the time it was very upsetting
We had a similar experience previously with das, my daughter has autism and I explained why she needs the assistance but the cm advised us to hire a wheelchair and wouldn’t accommodate her needs. We ended up wasting time travelling to another park and got the das system set up there instead.
It’s awful it’s down to the cast member to decide if you qualify for it or not 😞
patpluto is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 19, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

I went in for a DAS last month and I was worried I'd be turned down- as a young girl clearly on a friends holiday with a completely invisible disability.

I went in to guest services in Epcot ready to give this whole speech about how much easier it would make the holiday for me and why I needed it. I barely got a sentence in and the cast member was asking to scan my magic band to issue me the DAS! Obviously all cast members will be different but I'm sure if you say exactly why you need it they will issue you one.
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
spurs444
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Our youngest daughter is now 18 and has suffered with anxiety since the age of 8.
She is on medication and missed the best part of 2 years of school due to her condition.
outwardly she looks like any other 18 yr old and can appear extremly confident and outgoing - but when we went 3 years ago she had several bad experences while in lengthy queues resulting in her leaving the queue right at the last minute.
She is already saying all the rides she wont do this time even though she has done them before and enjoyerd them.
I feel uncomfortable about asking for a DAS pass as she looks perfectly normal and healthy and i fear being judged by the cast member or other guests even though i feel her need is geniune as at least if she changes her mind at the return time we will not have all the stress and fall out of her having to leave the queue.

Is it a private converstion when you ask for this or just in a genaral public queue ?

I suppose i am just after some reasurrance that we are not abusing the system if we ask for one even though we hope we will not have to use it.

Edited at 04:24 PM.
spurs444 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by spurs444 View Post
Our youngest daughter is now 18 and has suffered with anxiety since the age of 8.
She is on medication and missed the best part of 2 years of school due to her condition.
outwardly she looks like any other 18 yr old and can appear extremly confident and outgoing - but when we went 3 years ago she had several bad experinces while in lengthy queues resulting in her leaving the queue right at the last minute.
She is already saying all the rides she wont do this time even though she has done them before and enjoyerd them.
I feel uncomfortable about asking for a DAS pass as she looks perfectly normal and healthy and i fear being judged by the cast member or other guests even though i feel her need is geniune as at least if she changes her mind at the return time we will not have all the stress and fall out of her having to leave the queue.

Is it a private converstion when you ask for this or just in a genaral public queue ?

I suppose i am just after some reasurrance that we are not abusing the system if we ask for one even though we hope we will not have to use it.
It’s both public and segregated. You queue in a open queue and get called up to cast member when they are free- so there isn’t too much room for other people to be overhearing you. I was in the queue for 5 mins and can honestly say I couldn’t overheard anyone else’s conversations with cast members.
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
spurs444
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Originally Posted by dreamisawish View Post
It’s both public and segregated. You queue in a open queue and get called up to cast member when they are free- so there isn’t too much room for other people to be overhearing you. I was in the queue for 5 mins and can honestly say I couldn’t overheard anyone else’s conversations with cast members.
That’s good to know - at least we can discuss it with a bit of privacy
spurs444 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List