Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 22 Feb 19, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Pisa & Florence City Break

We have just returned from a short break across to Pisa and Florence having a really great time. Thought it may be useful for anyone thinking about going to share what we got up to and planned beforehand and if anyone wants anymore details please just let me know. This was our first trip abroad just Kirsty and me as Sam decided he didn't want to join us on this one so although we had loved it, it felt a bit 'different' not having one of us there. We booked everything independently as I always tend to do these days and all worked out fine.

16th February

We had taken Sam out shopping for supplies yesterday and lunch today, just to make sure he'd eaten before we left. and once packed we where on our way. He seemed more than happy to have the house to himself and as college was on half term break for the week most of his friends staying at some point until we returned. We had gone over some ground rules and then we where off. This was weird leaving him but it had to happen at some point and after the initial sadness of it after a while we settled to the fact he would be fine as would we and set off for London. We had an overnight stop beforehand as we where flying early morning. A stop for sandwiches to eat in the room and once checked in at the Travelodge we chilled with some TV before bed.

17th February

Alarm goes off at 4.00am and Kirsty showers before me and we are then on our way to Terminal 5. After some wrong turns dropping off the car we finally get to the meet and greet and are soon through having checked our hand luggage as it was a busy flight and enjoying breakfast. The flight is on time and we are soon on our way. At this point I think Sam not being there hit home as I was sat next to a random person who proceeded to cough, sniff, bark and spit up all sorts into the sick bag for the next two hours, she became know as 'Patient Zero' and Kirsty was ready to find a chemist at the first sign of my sniffing when we got off the plane. The Italian lady behind told me as we disembarked I was a real gent as she would of told her to shut up and then said she should of been quarantined . Landing in Pisa we caught the PisaMover monorail to the central train station which was quick and easy for a few euros and then we walked the 15 minutes to our hotel, 7 rooms, which was about 5 minutes from the tower. After we had freshened up we had a gelato stop before heading off to see the world famous leaning tower.

The place where the tower is - Field of Miracles - was busy as many people seem to come in for the day and leave, so lots where around getting photos of the tower with them doing various poses either holding it up, pushing it down, tower in an ice cream cone and many other variations on the theme. We had tickets to go up but later so heading into the cathedral then choosing to have a snooze back at the hotel and come back out later. When we did it was quieter and we took our place to climb up. I really enjoyed this but the climb was strange in that you felt yourself leaning against various walls with the angel of the tower. Once up we where rewarded though with some excellent views and the sunset over Pisa.

We pretty much had the place to ourselves and I was really happy we had chosen to spend a night here to experience it without the crowds. I had prebooked a restaurant ( Pizza Galileo ) for a meal tonight away from the tower and we set off for our booking. Lovely meal of meats, cheeses, pizzas, desserts and wine all for a great price. We then wandered back through Pisa and to our waiting beds.

18th February

Our train to Florence wasn't until 1.00pm so we chose to see some of the other sights near the tower these being the Baptistery and Camposanto.

We enjoyed the Baptistery which also has a slight lean to it but nowhere near as much as its famous neighbour. The Camposanto we did last and this was a great surprise. It included lots of tombs of various famous locals but what we really liked in a macabre way was a series of murals on the walls depicting heaven, hell and the final judgement which where quite gruesome to say the least. Once we had seen these and had a look in the cathedral again we stopped for a coffee and people watched near the tower before heading for the train.

I had reserved our train tickets online cheaply and easily before we left home and we where soon on the train for the 50 minute trip to Florence. Our hotel was only 5/10 minutes walk from the station and by 2.30 we where checked in to Art Atelier for the next three nights. Once we where sorted we set off to explore this Renaissance city and see some of its sights. Our first stop (after gelato ) was the Duomo and complex of buildings there.

The outside of this was breathtaking although the inside was relatively simple. I had also reserved some tickets to climb the Duomo online from the UK but seeing the height, the people on the inside of it so high up as well as making the mistake of looking at it on Google decided this really wasn't for me. Kirsty wasn't keen either. We chose to do the Campanile instead and at 414 this wasn't too easy either especially when you are passing others coming down but once at the top the views really where stunning.

Once we were back down our legs where aching so we headed back to the hotel before going out for dinner to finish our day.

19th February

Today we where off to see some art and had reserved our Uffizi tickets and entree time online. I did look at the Florence pass but due to us being there in the off season the ticket I bought for the Uffizi was cheaper and also included the Palazzo Pitti and Boboli Gardens. Once I worked out what else we wanted to see it was cheaper to do them separately then the pass so always check the costs to make sure what works best. We passed some more stunning architecture and statues on the way included one of my favourites I saw whilst there which was Perseus beheading Medusa

After we had picked up our tickets we headed into the Uffizi which was quite busy so summer must be pretty jammed packed. There is so much art in here its quite hard to take it all in but we saw the 'Birth of Venus' as well as a modern Antony Gormley up on the roof too which I was happy about as I really like his work.

We had been in the Uffizi about two hours and it really was a massive overload of art. Outside we had our daily gelato stop before heading across the Ponte Vecchio to the Palazzo Pitti.

I preferred this to the Uffizi as I felt it smaller and easier to take in everything there was to see plus the ceilings in some of the rooms where really breathtaking.

Due to the time of year the gardens closed early so we went back to the hotel to freshen up and rest before heading to the restaurant I had booked for dinner, Fattoria Rossi, which was a family farm to table place. Amazing quality local food served by this family and I have never tasted Parma ham and Parmesan like it, the vegetable flatbread was one the best things we ate whilst away.

20th February

More art today and off to see the world famous Michelangelo sculpture of 'David' After breakfast we set off to the museum and again I had purchased my tickets and entry time before but it wasn't too busy so we could go to see the statue without to many crowds.

Again an amazing piece of artwork at over 17 feet tall. This museum was smaller so made viewing the exhibits easier in my opinion, although they had lots of statues some which reminded me of 'Weeping Angels'.

Afterwards we went across to the central market and picked some things up for Sam to bring home before walking across the Ponte Vecchio again to the Boboli Gardens. It was a lovely day so we really enjoyed wandering round them in the sun.

After the gardens we went back to the museum about the Duomo which was included in our ticket. This was another of those things where you don't expect much but where pleasantly surprised, spent well over and hour in there it was really worth it. After this we where back at the hotel where we had a drink before we went out for our last meal at a local place away from some of the main squares called Osteria dei Centopoveri. Anther great and reasonable meal with an awesome steak. We spent a good hour enjoying the last of the evening wandering around Florence before calling it a night and going back to our beds.

21st February

We didn't need to leave Florence until 11.00 so had a quiet morning and last walk around Florence before heading back for the train to Pisa.

This was again on time and once in Pisa we caught the PisaMover to the airport and where flying back to the UK arriving ahead of schedule. No coughing and spluttering passengers this time just someone who appeared to be blogging the trip and then once we had taken off spent the next two hours stood at the back of the plane with their headphones on dancing. Once we collected the car it was the drive home which took longer due to traffic jams, roadworks and road closures but we where finally home and telling Sam all about the trip.

Kirsty and myself both said what a good time we'd had. It was strange initially not having Sam with us but we knew it wasn't his kind of thing and he'd enjoyed the time on his own at home. We had really enjoyed the time for us and although we missed him know that next time won't be so hard if he chooses not to come again. He'd also done a brilliant job being on his own and the house was really clean and tidy when we got back.

Pisa was a pleasant surprise and although a day was enough I was glad we stayed overnight to see it without the crowds and explore away from the tower. Florence was beautiful, a really beautiful city with a lot to see and do. We saw the main sights but there is enough to warrant a repeat visit just maybe not in the summer when heat and crowds will add to the mix. It was really good to see it quieter in some lovely weather without the masses.

If anyone has any questions please let me know - if you are heading across in this direction they both are great places to visit for different reasons and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Thank you for a lovely trip report. I’m sure you would enjoy a Tuscany road trip - Siena, Greve in Chianti, San Gimignano, Volterra and Lucca (plus lots of other places) are all beautiful. Extending the trip slightly to take in the Cinque Terre is very worthwhile.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Sounds like a great trip - we’re thinking of a tour of Italy next summer and would definitely include Florence. How was the train?
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Thank you for a lovely trip report. I’m sure you would enjoy a Tuscany road trip - Siena, Greve in Chianti, San Gimignano, Volterra and Lucca (plus lots of other places) are all beautiful. Extending the trip slightly to take in the Cinque Terre is very worthwhile.
We really like Italy, one of our favourite countries. Like the sound of that road trip. We did one a couple of years ago taking in Venice, The Dolomites, Lake Garda, Bologna and Verona which we loved and would really like to explore more of the place.

Neil

Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Sounds like a great trip - we’re thinking of a tour of Italy next summer and would definitely include Florence. How was the train?
Train was really easy and cheap (less than £8 per person each way) we prebooked them all online before we went. Loads of seats, the only thing we where hand luggage only so don’t know how it would work with big cases as we couldn’t fit ours on the overhead racks so had to keep them with us as I didn’t see any storage places. Florence is really beautiful and would recommend.

Just seen you’re off to Chicago on your countdown, that’s on my list so would be interested to read a report if you’re doing one. Just reading your Madrid one too as another place we’d love to visit.

Edited at 09:00 PM.
Old 24 Feb 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

The sunset picture is amazing - as are all your photos. It sounds like a brilliant trip!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
The sunset picture is amazing - as are all your photos. It sounds like a brilliant trip!
It was a great trip, two different cities and we liked them both. Really pleased you like the pictures too.👍

Neil

Old 24 Feb 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
sigur
Having Dinner with Goofy

We did something similar last year. Flew into Pisa and spent the night there. The following day we took the train to Rome. We stayed there for a few days then headed up to Florence for a few days. We headed back to Pisa on the afternoon of the last day for the flight home.

We have spoken about going again. If we did then I'd maybe miss out the night in Pisa and go straight to Florence.
sigur is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 24, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Thank you for writing this trip report, it’s really helpful for our trip in May. Your sunset views are stunning and I’m excited to see more of Pisa especially the Camposanto which I knew nothing about until I read your report but it sounds really interesting
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 24, 02:02 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

A wonderful trip and some lovely photos, especially the sunset. Glad Sam was ok and tidied the house! Italy is on the list for us. 🙂

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List