Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Mar 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Shera
I want to go now!

First time to California

Hi all,

Looking for ideas please!

Been to Florida and Paris, now want to try California, no idea who to book with or where to stay but fancy going in April 2020 or August 2020. There are 3 of us myself, husband and 16 year old son (next year)

Any help would be appreciated and also if anyone can help with an idea of cost I will know if it is doable for us.

Thanks everyone
Debbie x
Shera is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Is it just Disney Shera or do you want to explore more of California? Disneyland CA is more like Paris, it’s not a place to spend 2 weeks and you don’t have the villa culture of Orlando so bear that in mind. 2-3 days are plenty for most people. I’d book independently too but let us know your plans and people will chip in with budgets, hotel suggestions etc.. Disneyland has train connection to San Diego, Los Angeles and Santa Barbara if you can’t drive.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

My partner and I are going for nine days in April. Our itinerary is:
19th (Good Friday) Arrival day. Move into our hotel, the Courtyard, which is less than ten minutes’ walk from Disney.
20th- explore Downtown Disney
21st (Easter Sunday) Get an Uber to Knotts Berry Farm theme park and sample the bizarre delights of the Boysenberry Festival!
22nd (Easter Monday) A tour of LA with the Anaheim Tour Company. We get picked up at the hotel and taken to lots of touristy sites like the walk of fame, before heading to Venice Beach and Santa Monica Pier in the afternoon/evening.
23rd-27th- DISNEY! We’re visiting DCA first as 23rd is the last day of the Californian Food and Wine festival. We’re going to try and book the Walk in Walt’s Footsteps tour for the 25th. We’ve booked breakfast at the River Belle Terrace and lunch at Cafe New Orleans. We plan to buy Maxpasses depending on crowd levels (hopefully a little lower than usual as Spring Break will be coming to an end)
28th- fly home.

My MIL has kindly paid for our flights (around £480pp direct from London to LAX) and a week’s accommodation. We paid around £600 to add two nights to our hotel booking. We bought our Disney tickets on Black Friday and got 5-day park hoppers for £207pp. These are special springtime tickets which we can’t use before 23rd April. Two Knotts tickets plus a refillable cup came to around £100. The tour of LA was £70pp. The shuttle to and from our hotel from LAX was around £60 in total. The Walk in Walt’s Footsteps tour will be around £100 each.
Hope that helps!
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Storybook 5 days a long time in Disney .
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 19, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Shera first things first. Length of trip, what else do you want to see. 3/5 days plenty of time for Disney and universal as they are quite small in comparison and there is not the other attractions in the area as there are in Florida .
San Fran , PCH, yosemite, San Diego, vegas, Grand Canyon all doable quite easily depending on trip length .

Edited at 02:49 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
I know it sounds that way, but two days per park plus a half day tour sounded good to us. It’s unlikely we’ll get to go back as the trip is a gift for my 30th birthday, so we want to ride every ride and see every show and parade!
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Originally Posted by StorybookCircus View Post
I know it sounds that way, but two days per park plus a half day tour sounded good to us. It’s unlikely we’ll get to go back as the trip is a gift for my 30th birthday, so we want to ride every ride and see every show and parade!
I spent 5 days in Disneyland last year and wish I had longer! But I also really like to spend as much time as I can in Disney parks. I loved being able to take the parks slowly - no issues if I miss a show as I can always catch the next one, no issues if a ride queue is very long as can always just take it the next day...

The paid FP service (Maxpass) at DL works really well too for getting more FPs than you know what to do with!