Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Mar 19, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiga6
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fra View Post
Have you been to San Francisco before, specifically, have you stayed SOMA before?

I could be telling you stuff you already know but if for some reason you fancy a walk down to Yerba Buena Gardens or that general area then walk down Market street - I'd stay well clear of Mission/Howard St.

Market street is interesting but harmless IMO.
I've never been to the west coast full stop! We're starting in SF, then to Monterey, then Sequoia NP, then to LA for a week Planning has started, I love list writing!
Thank you for the info, I'm fairly certain I'm going to be picking everyones brains over the next few months!

Thank you everyone for your input, I think I'm going to ring and amend the car hire to pick up when we leave SF
Old 6 Mar 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiga6
Imagineer

Car hire amended. The BA guy asked if we wanted to pick the car up from Downtown.
Sure, I said. He came back and said that would cost an extra £1000!
Or, I can pick it up from the airport and that will SAVE me £150.
Guess what I chose... 🤣
Old 6 Mar 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Twiga6 View Post
Car hire amended. The BA guy asked if we wanted to pick the car up from Downtown.
Sure, I said. He came back and said that would cost an extra £1000!
Or, I can pick it up from the airport and that will SAVE me £150.
Guess what I chose... 🤣
We’re off next month on our first visit to SF! I can’t wait! I’ve booked Dylan’s famous tour it looks amazing as it has all the places I want to go to without getting there myself, it gets highly recommended on here & on trip advisor. We’re there 4 days too staying in Fisherman’s Wharf so much to see & do! I’ve also booked tickets for the Walt Disney family museum which I can’t wait to see, it’s been on my bucket list for some time & I’m finally getting to go! Enjoy the planning I certainly have for the past 9 months!

Edited at 12:37 PM.
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiga6
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by LOU LOU DISNEY View Post
We’re off next month on our first visit to SF! I can’t wait! I’ve booked Dylan’s famous tour it looks amazing as it has all the places I want to go to without getting there myself, it gets highly recommended on here & on trip advisor. We’re there 4 days too staying in Fisherman’s Wharf so much to see & do! I’ve also booked tickets for the Walt Disney family museum which I can’t wait to see, it’s been on my bucket list for some time & I’m finally getting to go! Enjoy the planning I certainly have for the past 9 months!
Ooo Ill have a look at Dylans tour, I’m a little worried we’ll spend all our time getting lost and not seeing what we want to if that makes sense? We’re notorious for missing all the good stuff
Old 6 Mar 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Twiga6 View Post
Ooo Ill have a look at Dylans tour, I’m a little worried we’ll spend all our time getting lost and not seeing what we want to if that makes sense? We’re notorious for missing all the good stuff
Ah you won’t just prioritise want you want to see & go from there. This tour is 7 hours long & covers all the best sights of SF & you also go to Muir woods & have lunch in Sausalito! So worth the money in my opinion. We’ve also booked tickets to Alcatraz the nighttime tour, if you’re interested in seeing here at night then I highly advise booking at 90 days before you go as it sells out quickly specially as you’re visiting in August😊

Edited at 01:26 PM.
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

The first time we went to SF we parked our car in the hotel carpark and didn't use it for 4 days and it cost a fortune. We haven't made that mistake again, we now pick the car up when we want to leave or drop it off when we arrive. There are several pick up and drop off places around Fishermans Wharf, or taxi up to the airport.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Fra
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Buzz242 View Post
The first time we went to SF we parked our car in the hotel carpark and didn't use it for 4 days and it cost a fortune. We haven't made that mistake again, we now pick the car up when we want to leave or drop it off when we arrive. There are several pick up and drop off places around Fishermans Wharf, or taxi up to the airport.
At worst get an UBER, however, uber down to the Bart station at Embarcadero and then bart to the airport is my usual method.
Fra is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Twiga6
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Buzz242 View Post
The BA agent said the car hire place wanted £1000 to pick up the car from SF itself!
We’ll head back to the airport to get it, and save £150 doing so
Old 8 Mar 19, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

We have been to San Francisco several times. You definitely don’t need a car while you are in the city. Public transport is good but the best way is to walk (although as someone else said it can be tough going up those hills!).

I recommend if you want to visit Alcatraz to book early as it gets sold out quickly (apologies if you have already done so). I found it fascinating and I had not been that keen on going.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We picked up our car on the last day and from the Union Sq area , around a block and a half from the Bay Bridge ramp. It was in the Easter holidays, from Budget car hire and was a RAV4. It cost around £325 for 11 days and dumping it at LAX. A lovely car with 1100 miles on the clock.

Car parking at our Hotel was $75 a day!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List