Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Mar 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
I've not been feeling well for a while and have been getting heart palpitations tightness in my chest and shortness of breath my gp thought my symptoms might be side effects of the meds I was on but I've stopped taking them and the problem has continued so went back today and after listing to my heart & checking my pulse/bp they have ordered a chest xray ecg & echocardiogram. They were going to refer me straight to cardio but the wait for an appointment is 2-3 months and they said that was too long to wait
I wasn't that worried before I went but now I'm wondering if there is maybe something to be concerned about?

anyone had an echocardiogram done?
I don't know how old you are but a woman I used to work with had similar symptoms when she was going through the menopause. A check-up didn't find anything but she was advised to cut down on coffee and change to decaf. She soon felt a lot better.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Heart palpitations on their own are often harmless bit in combination with breath and tightness symptoms your GO is right to check it out.

I am currently undergoing investigations for similar symptoms myself - got stabbing pain, sometimes cramplike pain, sometimes palpitations, shortness of breath. Spent last two weekends in and out if hispitals and lost vount of numbers of doctors I have seen. I have noticed symptoms are worse when active or stressed. Been doing I dont know how many bloodtests, xrays, a ct scan to rule out blood clot in lungs. I have been given a spray I can use under my tongue if I get pain. Currently they think it might be because of clogged arteries so awaiting a CT angiograph (or similar) but its a 6 week waiting time...

Big hugs - I know its worrying to have to wait until they confirm what it is and how to fix it
Old 16 Mar 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mad Hatters
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by top4 View Post
Hi ,I've also had issues like yours a couple of years ago and because they came and went I didn't think anything of them ... fast forward 12 months later I got rushed into resus with a heart rate of 220 ! ...I've been diagnosed with Atrial Tachicardia, where the electrical wiring in my heart is miss firing getting confused ...I'm on meds for life now and closely monitored by the hospital ,at 43 I don't feel old enough to Have a heart problem ,so don't ignore it like I did ! ...an echo is just an ultrasound of your heart ,very painless and fascinating to watch! ..but the missed beats I feel are draining and the 'Disco ' description fits it perfectly! ...but wishing you well ,your in good hands x
I know what you mean about the age. I was diagnosed with AF and dilated cardiomyopathy at 29. It looked as though I was heading for a pacemaker or potentially on the list for a transplant.

Luckily after my cardioversion and on my medication for a while it’s much improved.

Definitely keep on at them to be looked at ASAP OP as I know how lax the cardiologist and gp’s can be.
Mad Hatters is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mad Hatters View Post
I know what you mean about the age. I was diagnosed with AF and dilated cardiomyopathy at 29. It looked as though I was heading for a pacemaker or potentially on the list for a transplant.

Luckily after my cardioversion and on my medication for a while it’s much improved.

Definitely keep on at them to be looked at ASAP OP as I know how lax the cardiologist and gp’s can be.
I was diagnosed when I was 25 after the birth of my youngest, I can remember sitting in the waiting room with 80 year olds thinking what has my life come too and it really got me down, but I've come to terms with it now i'm 38 nearly!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

An echocardiogram is like an ultrasound, painless, non invasive, just the gel that is cold and gloopy. 😀
Your symptoms may not be heart related but that possibility needs to be eliminated. 👍
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

thanks for all the replies

obviously getting it checked out is important and I'd rather know if there is a problem I think it just took me by surprise a bit as they didn't really seem bothered about it before.

It happens at random times any kind of physical activity makes it worse/more likely to happen but sometimes it happens when I'm sat watching tv or reading too. It kind of starts like a heavy/pressure in my chest and its hard to breathe then my heart races or feels like its beating really hard.

Had my chest xray and booked in for an ecg & echo next week so hopefully it won't take too long to find out.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List