Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3 Mar 18, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Montreal 2018: Parlez-vous francais? - Day 9: A Day Trip In Brussels

So retracing my steps a little!

We boarded on time! Things were looking good! The screens were showing a flight time of 6 1/2 hours so we would be arriving at Brussels about 8.30am. My flight back home was at 9.45am so fine.

Then the pilot spoke. There was a problem loading the cargo so would take 10-15 minutes to finish. Ok, still doable. Then he added that in fact there was a strong wind so flight time would be over 7 hours. Ok - not looking so good. Add in the deicing and my only hope was a delayed flight on my home leg.

Now I am one of those annoying people who can sleep on flights - a finely honed skill! I was asleep before we even took off! I was not happy that the air hostess woke me up for the meal which I refused (I have had Air Canada food before!) I managed to sleep until 90 minutes before landing.

We landed at 9.33am. I turned my phone on - to see immediately a text by J who was tracking both flights. My home flight was on final call. As J succinctly put it - no chance!

Never one for giving up, I tried but by the time I had got through to the A gates the flight had departed.

I went to the Brussel Airline desk to be told it wasn't their problem and I had to go out to departures and the Air Canada desk. On my way over, J came up with the best solutions as the other flight to my home airport today had already been cancelled.

At the Air Canada desk they had already done the rerouting. No flights available today. Only option was tomorrow afternoon via Frankfurt - not arriving in until after 10pm. Not great but no use ranting.

Air Canada had booked me in the Sheraton, literally across the road (this is the view from my room). Dinner was included. They also gave me an 8 euro voucher for lunch do all in all I can't complain.

The room is fine - though I think it us more about location!

I talked to F and J and the view was even though my winter coat was in my suitcase (which is somewhere...) I should try to get into Brussels. I had a fleece and a sleeveless jacket together with a scarf and gloves.

I took the airport train into the city centre - it didn't take long (about 15 minutes).

I was last in Brussels 17 years ago when pregnant with O.

First stop was food. I had to have a Belgian classic - frites and mayonnaise.

I then headed to Grand Place which has some very impressive buildings.

It was very busy - I guess this is one of the two must dos in Brussels.

As I hadn't researched this little side trip I wasn't sure what else there actually was in the square.

Then it was on to the other iconic (and I say that with a raised eyebrow) statue in Brussels - Manneken-Pis.

All dressed up. He is all of 2 feet tall. I don't really get how it us so popular! A 30 second attraction!

I passed the Stoke Exchange on the way to finding Primark to get myself a clean t-shirt and some socks! It was like a zoo in there (we don't have one). Is it always that mad?

I couldn't go to Brussels and not have a waffle!

The buildings are so very lovely!

So picturesque!

I walked up to le Parc de Bruxelles. By this stage I was tired. I decided to head back to the Airport and the hotel.

Back at the hotel I had a Starbucks, then a very long shower and watched some TV.

At about 6.45pm I headed down to see about dinner. There was a buffet. I had salad and then some fish and lyonnaise potatoes.

Dessert was a selection of tarts - I had creme caramel and a lemon tart.

Now back in my room, I have managed 17,857 steps - just over 13km walked. So much for resting my legs!

It won't be long before I am in bed! Hopefully tomorrow will see me getting home!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List