Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 1 Dec 18, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Curioussilva
Imagineer

Carbohydrate/Nutrition Information In Disney?

Hi All,

Was wondering if any one could help? I'm type one diabetic insulin controlled and to work out how much I take I carbohydrate count at home it's not a problem as I use Carbs and Cals app and the information off the package information.

However as we will be in the States any suggestions or information would be grateful receive, I have contact Disney directly and it was we can't give extract information! Even thought here in the UK most major restaurants can?

Many thanks
Curioussilva is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
corbennic
Excited about Disney

From much googling I can’t see any either. My dd just diagnosed type 1 and while we are coping at home, I am terrified of taking her. To be honest if I hadn’t already paid upfront for flights etc I might have thought about cancelling. Hopefully someone here has some strategies.
corbennic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Itsabunthing
Apprentice Imagineer

I understand that most, if not all, counter service restaurants have a book listing all ingredients, allergens etc in each meal. It may be that this also details the carbohydrate content as well so this could be worth a try.
Itsabunthing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

It’s great that there is so much information available nowadays because it makes educated guessing much easier and accurate.

It’s still a bit of guesswork though!

Corbennic, please please don’t worry or cancel. I’ve been T1 for over forty years and my first trip to Disney I didn’t even have blood testing equipment (it really was complete guesswork! ) and it was fine. Just take it steady and keep a close eye on your DDs levels - the weather and all the activity / Adrenalin can impact.

What I’m trying to say is, don’t worry, do the best you can with carb counting (there are booklets available I think as itsabunthing says) but just keep an eye on things and react accordingly - it will be fine.

If you have access to a continual monitoring device such as a freestyle libre that would really help.

I promise although T1 can be a pain, it doesn’t need to stop your DD from doing anything. It’s very possible to have a ‘normal’ life nowadays
Old 10 Feb 19, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Curioussilva
Imagineer

Originally Posted by corbennic View Post
From much googling I can’t see any either. My dd just diagnosed type 1 and while we are coping at home, I am terrified of taking her. To be honest if I hadn’t already paid upfront for flights etc I might have thought about cancelling. Hopefully someone here has some strategies.
Please try not to worry if anything you tend to forget that you have it. I have an app called carb and cals for Iphone and it works a treat for the UK.

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
It’s great that there is so much information available nowadays because it makes educated guessing much easier and accurate.

It’s still a bit of guesswork though!

Corbennic, please please don’t worry or cancel. I’ve been T1 for over forty years and my first trip to Disney I didn’t even have blood testing equipment (it really was complete guesswork! ) and it was fine. Just take it steady and keep a close eye on your DDs levels - the weather and all the activity / Adrenalin can impact.

What I’m trying to say is, don’t worry, do the best you can with carb counting (there are booklets available I think as itsabunthing says) but just keep an eye on things and react accordingly - it will be fine.

If you have access to a continual monitoring device such as a freestyle libre that would really help.

I promise although T1 can be a pain, it doesn’t need to stop your DD from doing anything. It’s very possible to have a ‘normal’ life nowadays
Would it be possible for you to bring back some of these booklets and post on here? As it would be helpful for those who aren't diabetic too.
Curioussilva is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Curioussilva View Post

Would it be possible for you to bring back some of these booklets and post on here? As it would be helpful for those who aren't diabetic too.
Hi - not sure if you were asking me or not, but I don’t have any plans to return to WDW for a few years. I personally have never asked for a booklet as I’m happy to guess, but I do believe they are available.
Old 10 Feb 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I don’t believe they are booklets you can take. More like a laminate or binder for reference under the counter.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ch1ps
Imagineer

ch1ps's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I use the carbs and cals app, it's handy to show portion sizes and carb values, there will be some guesswork though. Some of the offsite restaurants, have nutritional info on their websites.
Old 15 Feb 19, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
corbennic
Excited about Disney

I have downloaded the carbs and cals app so will try not to worry. Hopefully will have time to settle down before we go, been jumping from hypo to hypo this week with after school sport not quite got it right yet.
corbennic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List