Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 21 Nov 18, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie_04
Getting Excited

How many credits do we have left?! – Oct/Nov DDP (Day 5 Added)

How many credits do we have left?! – Oct/Nov DDP

Hello Folks!
Time for a first from us; a food report!

Initially, I had thought of doing this live, but I knew I would never manage to keep up with it properly, so instead I took lots of pictures and made a few notes! We’ve just returned, so I’m hoping lots of it will still be embedded in my brain.

We stayed on site at Old Key West for 21 nights with the Disney Dining Plan. We have never done this before; first time on site, and first time using the dining plan. Looking back, I can see we made some errors, and there are things we would do differently if we used the plan again; but it was our first time, so we learnt as we went! We ended up with lots of credits at the end, even some that we didn’t even end up using, but it meant we got lots of treats to bring back!

In total we had… 63 TS credits to use, 63 QS credits and 126 snack credits!

We had a lovely 2 Bed Villa at Old Key West for the three of us; plenty of space and the resort was beautiful. We were lucky to get one of the refurbished villa’s too, and it’s definitely a resort we would return to.

Where we ate:
1900 Park Fare – Breakfast and Dinner (TS)
Good’s Food to Go (QS at OKW)
Turtle Shack (QS at OKW)
Gasparilla Island Grill (QS)
Earl of Sandwich (QS)
Ohana – Breakfast and Dinner (TS)
Chefs de France (TS)
Trails End (TS)
Restaurantosaurus (QS)
Olivia’s – Breakfast and Dinner (TS)
Garden Grill – Breakfast and Dinner (TS)
Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin‘ (TS)
Be Our Guest – Lunch (QS)
Liberty Tree Tavern (TS)
Grand Floridian Café (TS)
California Grill Brunch (TS)
Roaring Fork (QS)
Trattoria al Forno (TS)
Rainforest Cafe (TS)
Catalina Eddie’s (QS)
Riverside Mill Food Court (QS)
The Wave (TS)
D-Luxe Burger (QS)
The Plaza (TS)
IHOP
Bubba Gump

And of course, many, many snacks along the way too! Some of the list we ate at more than once, and we did end up changing a bunch of QS credits into snacks to bring home at the end.

We ended up with one TS credit left each at the end. Initially, we had booked up all the credits before we went, but we ended up changing our minds and reservations along the way to fit in better with our plans, and we just couldn’t fit another meal in! We also ended up with 10 QS credits, and 16 snack credits left. (Ooops!) I feel like a bad Dibber! As I said, we realise where we went wrong, and how we would do things differently another time, but I can safely say that none of us went hungry! I don’t think we had quite envisioned just how much food there would be, but we tried our best to get through it. If we used a Dining Plan again, we wouldn’t buy anything from Walmart or Publix like we did. I think that was mainly out of habit, and we worried we’d be wasting credits, or run out of them if we used them on things like bottles of water and such. But honestly, we shouldn’t have worried! We’ve also considered whether a QS dining plan would be better for us, but either way, there’s a lot of credits and a lot of food to eat!

Never mind all that now, we’re home from a fabulous holiday. Let’s get on with the report…

Edited at 09:14 PM.
Minnie_04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 18, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie_04
Getting Excited

Pre-Travel Day – Saturday 27th October 2018

We started off the day quite early about 6:30am, a quick breakfast of toast and we set off about 9:30am to Gatwick. We parked up at APH and took the bus to the North Terminal. It was too early to check in, so we headed to Cotsta downstairs in arrivals.

We had two Bacon & Brie panini’s and a Sausage bap. A regular tea, a Late, and an Iced Vanilla Late for me. Unfortunately, I only took a picture of mine, but I promise I get better!

Dad and I popped over to the Premier Inn to check in for the rooms, and left Mum with the bags. We had a bit of a wait for Virgin check in, but we were first there, so got through the process nice and quickly. Earlier in the week we had booked a table for dinner at the Premier Inn for 7pm. We hadn’t been sure whether to do the meal deal they offered, or whether to get something in the Terminal. We eventually opted to stay and have dinner at the Premier Inn. We didn’t think we’d get anything much cheaper as you get a main, dessert, drink and breakfast for the one price. It was much easier to stay in the hotel rather than going to and from the terminal and meant we would have a nice filling breakfast in the morning too.

We headed down for the table on time and overheard that there was quite a long wait if you didn’t have a table booked. They were also unable to cook any steak as they had no gas in the kitchen. This was fine for us as we hadn’t planned to order that anyway.

Both me and Dad had the Double Cheese & Bacon Burger.

Mum had the Tai Green Vegetable Curry. She said this was nice, but quite hot.

We also ordered a Naan Bread and some Onion Rings on the side which we would have to pay for.

We weren’t overly impressed with the menu, but the food was really nice and better than we had expected.

Dessert was included, so we could choose from…

I had the Chocolate and Banana Waffle. This was nice but couldn’t manage it all.

Mum chose the Lemon and Clementine Cheesecake. This was really tasty.

Dad went for the Chocolate Brownie which he enjoyed.

Overall, we were really quite impressed with the meal. We hadn’t been expecting much and had been contemplating not going there because there wasn’t that much on the menu, but we really enjoyed the meal. A nice start to the holiday and an early start tomorrow!
Minnie_04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great start! I love that banana waffle at Thyme restaurant. Looking forward to more.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

We stayed at Premier Inn North for our stay and ate at the restaurant too. It was really busy and had no spare tables so I was pleased that we had booked when I did online check in. We enjoyed our meals there, had starters and mains, good value with the breakfast included too.

Looking forward to following your report 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie_04
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Great start! I love that banana waffle at Thyme restaurant. Looking forward to more.
Yesss, it was scrummy! Could eat that again now!

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
We stayed at Premier Inn North for our stay and ate at the restaurant too. It was really busy and had no spare tables so I was pleased that we had booked when I did online check in. We enjoyed our meals there, had starters and mains, good value with the breakfast included too.

Looking forward to following your report 😀
We were glad to have booked as well, being a Saturday night they were really busy in there!
We tried to work out if we could get better value for money eating in the terminal restaurants, but it worked out to either be more expensive, or about the same, and that was without a dessert or starter. So definitely good value for money!
Old 22 Nov 18, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie_04
Getting Excited

Travel Day – Sunday 28th October 2018

We had a nice early start this morning! Up at 5am and headed down to breakfast for 6am. We packed up everything with us, so we could just leave straight for the terminal after some food.

We were shown to the table and were right near the entrance to the buffet. We had some glasses of apple juice and teas before helping ourselves to the buffet.

Both me and dad started off with a bit of cooked breakfast, sausage, bacon, beans, hash browns… but Mum decided to dig into some fruit and yogurt before hitting the pastries. There was a nice selection, some pancakes you could warm up, croissants, mini muffins, lots of breads and bagels. Here’s a selection of what we had.

To be honest, when we’re at home we don’t tend to eat much breakfast, so this suitably filled us up quite nicely!

After heading through security, we browsed a few shops (Including Ted Baker… ) before stopping off to Starbucks for a drink before the gate was called. Sorry, no picture here either, but it was just a tea, late and a bottle of water!

I’m one of those that dreads plane food… I’m a fussy eater, and on previous occasions there has never been anything I liked on the menu. I usually stock up on some food in the terminal, which I did again this year. Bought some biscuits and Pringles from W.H.Smith, but surprisingly the food was good!

Of course, to start off with we were served the mini bag of pretzels and a drink. Mum went for a Gin and Tonic, both me and dad had soft drinks.

From the menu, mum chose the Curry, and both me and dad went for the tomato and mozzarella bake. The pasta salad to start off with was really nice too, and with a bit of salt, the pasta bake was nice enough. The dessert though… wasn’t so keen on that! It was some kind of passion fruit pudding, but it wasn’t for me.

I believe at some point a small ice cream was offered, but I was asleep at some point, so it must have been then! We were served our afternoon tea shortly before landing, which was okay. The roll was Mozzarella with green pesto, tomato and rocket. It was okay, but a little dry, and mum didn’t like it. There was also a small scone with jam and clotted cream, and this was nice!

We were through security quickly as we were able to go through the disabled line, which meant we waited a while for the luggage and wheelchair to come through, but we were in no rush. We’d booked to stay in MCO airport for the first night, at the Hyatt hotel, so we soon checked in, dropped off the bags and headed out to find some dinner in the airport. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture because we were all tired, and my phone wasn’t working with the internet either, but it was nothing special; chicken nuggets and fries from McDonalds to share! We also picked up a bottle of water from Starbucks to take back to the room before crashing out for the night.
Old 23 Nov 18, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Good old premier inn breakfast! It's a must on travel day. I'm looking forward to reading along.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 18, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie_04
Getting Excited

Day One – Monday 29th October 2018

Once checked out from the hotel, we needed to pick somewhere for breakfast. We could either stay in the airport or pick up the car and drive somewhere. We opted to pick up the car now and decided to check out an IHOP. On all of our previous trips we’d never managed to stop at one, so now was the time. Finding one on the Sat Nav, we set off.

We near-enough all ordered the same; we all decided to go for the ‘Create your own’ combos of 2x eggs, 2x sausage and hashbrown. Me and mum their shared the Cupcake Pancakes and Stuffed French Toast. Dad just went for the original Buttermilk Pancakes.

I cannot tell you how much we enjoyed this! Those Cupcake Pancakes were aaaamaaazingggg! Wasn’t so keen on the French Toast, it was a little softer with all the sauce on top, but it was stuffed with a cream cheese type frosting which was really nice. Dad enjoyed his pancakes with some syrup. We also had some orange juice, apple juice and a couple of coffees. We’re really pleased we stopped here; would definitely go back! Total was $40 including tip.

After breakfast we drove to Old Key West to check in, had a little wander around and then headed out to Walmart to pick up a few bits. We stopped at the ‘new’ one down the 192. I call it ‘new’ but I’m not really sure how long it’s be open, it just wasn’t there two years ago when we last visited. We picked up a few bits; water, milk, bread, jam, cereal… and so on. This is probably where we went wrong. In previous years we’ve always had a quick breakfast at the villa before going to the park, and we’d always take some snacks in with us as well. We didn’t really need to do this with the dining plan, but I guess out of habit, we did buy a few bits that we didn’t really need to. Never mind! Lesson learned, and we soon stopped taking biscuits or snacks in with us!

Anyway, after picking up some bits (and dad dropping a gallon of water outside in the car park) we drove back to OKW where our villa was soon ready.

For dinner we decided to use the QS at the resort as the menu looked okay. We’d heard reports that the QS options at OKW aren’t that great, but the menu had enough to choose from for us. There is only really one QS option at OKW as the Turtle Shack Bar closes at 5pm, but we didn’t mind, and actually ate at Good’s Food to Go several times. As we’d picked up our mugs, they let us change our drink into a snack.

We ordered: 2x Flagler Italian Sandwiches which were salami, ham and mortadella on Focaccia bread with a lemon caper mayonnaise, served with chips. 1x chicken nuggets, 1x fruit tart, 1x key lime pie and 1x milk and cookies cupcake. We sat on the little tables outside and refilled our mugs.

Sorry, I was hungry! I also forgot to take a picture of dads nuggets and chips, but I'm sure you've all seen that before!

The food was really, really nice. Those sandwiches were very filling and were really tasty. We took the desserts back to the villa with us and had some of these later on. The cupcake was soooo good. One of my favourites of the trip, and I got this on a few occasions! It had a sort of cookie dough in the middle, and the frosting was so, so yummy. 3 QS credits used today!
Old 27 Nov 18, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie_04
Getting Excited

Day Two – Tuesday 30th October 2018

It was finally time for us to visit a park, and as per usual, our first park of the visit would be Magic Kingdom! A first for us though, would be a trip to 1900 Park Fare for breakfast on the way there. The table was booked for 9:05am, and we didn’t have to wait long to be seated. Today we would get to see Mary Poppins, Winnie the Pooh, Alice and the Mad Hatter. Tigger was also at the exit for a photo.

It was a buffet service, and we had a pot of coffee and juice which was constantly refilled. The juice was lovely, I’m not sure what it was though. I think they all have their own version of ‘Jungle Juice’ from what I’ve read on here, but it was lovely!

There was so much food to pick from as well, it was all lovely. We helped ourselves to a selection of hot food before digging into the sweet pastries. The eggs benedict and hash brown potatoes were lovely, Mum also tried something called a Cheese Blitz which was a little odd. The Mickey waffles were, as always, lovely! There was hot syrup available too. The walnut sticky bun was so yummy, but quite sickly. We were stuffed after this! We’re not huge breakfast eaters, but there was plenty of food. The only thing we didn’t get around to trying was the omelette station, but we’ve heard it’s great. I also couldn’t bring myself to try the strawberry soup. On the way out we stopped to have a picture with Tigger too.

We had a busy day in Magic Kingdom, managed to ride lots of rides and catch the parade as well. Once that was over, we walked back round to Adventureland to pick up some Dole Whips. We used Mobile Ordering for the first time to pick up an original Dole Whip for Mum. Both me and Dad decided to try the Citrus swirl ones so picked up two of these. The orange was nice, but I decided I preferred the pineapple!

For dinner we decided to hop on a boat over to the Grand Floridian and eat at the Quick Service: Gasparilla Island Grill. We’d popped in after breakfast that morning to fill up our cups and the menu looked nice, so we thought we’d give it a try.

We had two of the burger meals, and one order of macaroni and cheese which also came with fries. We swapped our drinks for snacks and had two coconut cremes and an oatmeal cookie. It was nice out, so we sat outside near the water and had a lovely meal!

The burger was huuuuuge; really thick, and the mac and cheese was scrummy. The star of the show was the coconut crème though. Me and mum shared one while we sat there and took the other home with us. It was so, so gooood. It was a custard tart with a coconut cream on top. I could eat another one now!

In total, we used 3 TS, 3 QS and 3 snacks today. We needed to up our snack game!

Edited at 08:21 PM.
Old 27 Nov 18, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

We love 1900 park fare breakfast too, strawberry soup is strangely tasty you should give it a try 😀.

I want to try Gasparilla’s Grill, I say it each visit but haven’t made it yet. The food looks so good there, especially that coconut creme 😂
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List