Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 26 Jan 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Moving from a PC to Mac

I'm thinking about replacing my old lap top with a MacBook Pro as I have an iPhone and iPad. I'm wondering how easy it would be to transfer things over using Windows migration assistant?

I have office so I would want to move Word and Excel files plus my email accounts on Windows Live. I'm particularly interested in how the emails move across. I have 3 email accounts on Live and one of them is so old that I can't remember the password so would that move over without me having to input the password or would I have to try and find out what it was?

I've tried searching for this info on line but can't find the answers

Thanks

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

We do these migrations every day at work for clients but I admit we don't tend to use the assistants, we tend to do everything manually.

It's pretty easy to find all your document files and copy them to a usb stick (provides a nice physical backup too) and then just plug it into the new machine and copy it off.

In terms of email accounts, it's very easy to set them back up in macos mail but yeah you'd need the password. Easy enough though, select forgot password and follow the prompts.

It's possible that the migration assistants would do all that for you but I don't tent to use it so I don't know.

Congrats on the impending purchase all I'd say is, go into it with an open mind. Although mac/windows are more similar than ever, there are enough differences to cause you to pull your hair out if you try and make things work the windows way. You need to use mac how it was intended and perhaps watch a few videos if you get stuck

Everyone I ever introduce the mac to loves it EXCEPT the ones who are too used to windows to swap. I can tell those because I get 3 solid days of "in windows I did this... " followed by them telling me they took the mac back.
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Thanks Keith,

I'll try migration assistant for the emails just in case it copies everything and use the USB stick for documents etc., I've got a Western Digital 1TB hard drive that has a complete back up of the PC. Once I make the move can I also use this hard drive to back up the MacBook? (apologies if that's a stupid question )

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
... Everyone I ever introduce the mac to loves it EXCEPT the ones who are too used to windows to swap. I can tell those because I get 3 solid days of "in windows I did this... " followed by them telling me they took the mac back.

My daughter uses a Mac and she's offered to show me the ropes. I don't mind the fact it will be completely different and I'm prepared for the learning curve to take a while

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
Thanks Keith,

I'll try migration assistant for the emails just in case it copies everything and use the USB stick for documents etc., I've got a Western Digital 1TB hard drive that has a complete back up of the PC. Once I make the move can I also use this hard drive to back up the MacBook? (apologies if that's a stupid question )
only stupid question is the one not asked

yeah generally speaking the mac can read PC disks (it depends a little on the format but generally it'll plug in and work)
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List