Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Mar 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

It’s a case of risk v reward. You decide to leave the ESTA application until a week or so before travel and you then get the full two years ahead for holidays. I the vast majority of applications this goes thro no problem, but one or two get turned down due to errors that folks have made innocently, and their applications are rejected. No time to get a visa, so holiday is binned, and insurance won’t pay out on a failed ESTA
So the question is:
Are you willing to risk a £5000 to £10000 holiday on the cost saving of $14 by leaving the application until just before holiday?

I know I won’t, but it’s up to everyone to access the risk themselves, I’m not advising either way.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The UK enjoys the same special relationship with about 130+ other nations. You don't need any grace on your passport. This proves it.

cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...date122017.pdf

Brexit or not nothing will change in this relationship. May do if you need to fly via the EU but who knows? I'm sure that Mother Theresa doesn't

Too many sad stories on here about people who think it's a good idea to scrape loads of holidays out of a $14 ESTA. Refusal is very unlikely but, trust me, it happens.

No ESTA - no time to get a visa = no holiday, thousands of £££ down the toilet. No insurance pay out.

Mick
Old 21 Mar 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Hornet1976
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
The UK enjoys the same special relationship with about 130+ other nations. You don't need any grace on your passport. This proves it.

cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...date122017.pdf

Brexit or not nothing will change in this relationship. May do if you need to fly via the EU but who knows? I'm sure that Mother Theresa doesn't

Too many sad stories on here about people who think it's a good idea to scrape loads of holidays out of a $14 ESTA. Refusal is very unlikely but, trust me, it happens.

No ESTA - no time to get a visa = no holiday, thousands of £££ down the toilet. No insurance pay out.

Mick
I think a month prior is more than enough time for Esta. Brexit reference was to do with the time it takes to get a passport, not Esta. There were a raft of applications a few weeks ago. Even if an Esta is refused it only takes two weeks to get a visa for the US.
Hornet1976 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Hornet1976 View Post
I think a month prior is more than enough time for Esta. Brexit reference was to do with the time it takes to get a passport, not Esta. There were a raft of applications a few weeks ago. Even if an Esta is refused it only takes two weeks to get a visa for the US.
Really?

Those recent Dibbers who have been refused through making an error on their applications and took months to get a visa appointment will be gratified to read this.

And all those Dibbers who were refused an ESTA following a software failure at SFB a few years back.

Your decision. I'm out
Old 21 Mar 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
So the question is:
Are you willing to risk a £5000 to £10000 holiday on the POTENTIAL cost saving of $14 by leaving the application until just before holiday?

I know I won’t, but it’s up to everyone to access the risk themselves, I’m not advising either way.
I've added to your statement, for it is only if you book a holiday that falls in the last 6 months of your 2 years that you actually mange to save any money.

We generally get an ESTA around now (March), for August Holidays. This covers this year and next. We then renew when it runs out in readiness for the next cycle. We haven't quite had live ESTA's all the time since they came in... we had a baby instead one year
Old 21 Mar 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
I've added to your statement, for it is only if you book a holiday that falls in the last 6 months of your 2 years that you actually mange to save any money.

We generally get an ESTA around now (March), for August Holidays. This covers this year and next. We then renew when it runs out in readiness for the next cycle. We haven't quite had live ESTA's all the time since they came in... we had a baby instead one year
We have had live ESTAs since they were introduced in Jan 2009 just in case the Premium Bonds allow us to fit a spontaneous trip.

I'm 18 months younger than Mick Jagger who keeps fathering babies but I've done a Risk Assessment of that happening to me any time soon.

Mick
Old 21 Mar 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Really?

Those recent Dibbers who have been refused through making an error on their applications and took months to get a visa appointment will be gratified to read this.

And all those Dibbers who were refused an ESTA following a software failure at SFB a few years back.

Your decision. I'm out
Two weeks? I’ll bail with you Mick
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

Mobile

My son's (11) passport runs out 3 weeks after we are due back from our trip to Orlamdo in May. Will this still be valid for our trip and will we get an Esta? Has anyone got experience of this and did you have any issues?
We are taking our grandson aged 10 and his passport expires roughly 4 weeks after we return
After advice on here saying it’s not a problem- it’s not a problem!
So we haven’t renewed the passport
Old 21 Mar 19, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Quick update on this: there were a few people that seemed a little concerned about the timing of all this ie. Quite near our travel date. We applied for my lad's passport three weeks ago, we received it back within 2 weeks. We then applied for our ESTA's Sunday which was approved later that day. Kind of wish I'd left the ESTA's until a few weeks before our travel date so that it stayed valid until Easter 2021. Basically just wanted to let people know that there really is no panic with ESTA's and passports under normal circumstances. I suppose Brexit could affect passport application times but that aside it's a very quick process.
It's great that you're sorted but chances of sorting a Visa in your suggested timescales are unlikely and not something best left to chance.

You're basically gambling thousands of pounds on getting an appointment and getting it approved for the sake of $14 dollars 😱

I value and appreciate all the advice on here and only comment on what I know as fact, on this topic - you didn't need a new passport. We've travelled with only a couple of months left. I try not to offer an opinion when I don't know for sure, particularly if risking someone's dream holiday.

Imagine someone following your advice and ruining their holiday.

IMO irresponsible.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Hornet1976
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
It's great that you're sorted but chances of sorting a Visa in your suggested timescales are unlikely and not something best left to chance.

You're basically gambling thousands of pounds on getting an appointment and getting it approved for the sake of $14 dollars 😱

I value and appreciate all the advice on here and only comment on what I know as fact, on this topic - you didn't need a new passport. We've travelled with only a couple of months left. I try not to offer an opinion when I don't know for sure, particularly if risking someone's dream holiday.

Imagine someone following your advice and ruining their holiday.

IMO irresponsible.
I think everyone needs to calm down. This is at least the 3rd time I’ve done Esta’s, probably more. I renewed the passport because it needed doing anyway - I know my son could have travelled on it. I just don’t agree that people need to do them miles in advance. Sounds like the timescale I quoted for a Visa might be a bit ambitious, particularly if there are problems with that too so if I’ve mislead anyone on that then I’m sorry. That said there isn’t any need to sort out passports and Esta’s before you book your holiday a year in advance like some have suggested on here.
Wish I’d never bothered asking, some quite angry people on this forum!
Hornet1976 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread