Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 6 Mar 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Switzerland

Hi everyone!
Talk to me about Switzerland.
We are thinking of going for a week at the end of October. Will we be ok at this time of year? I'm guessing it will be neither warm nor very cold?(Depending on where we are!)
Plan on flying into Zurich and visiting the following places. Be using public transport, mainly trains, not hiring a car.

Zurich
Lucerne
Interlaken
Murran
Montreux
Lausanne
Geneva

Would we get this done in a week?
Any advice on the trains? We would more than likely get a Swiss Rail Pass.
Many thanks

2023 - Orlando/Gulf Coast
2024 - Menorca & Malta
2025 - Norwegian Fjords and Boston/NY
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Butterbeer
Trying for More Ears

Hi! I went to Switzerland a few years ago as part of a inter-rail trip around Europe. I didn't do all the places on your list so don't have any specific advice for those, but just generally, I think for a week there is too many places to visit. You've listed 7 places, so that would be one a day, meaning a lot of moving about. Obviously some are closer together than others so you could maybe stay in one place for a couple of days and do a day trip but I just think there is too much there for one week.
It might be worth looking at flying in to Zurich and out from Geneva perhaps if you definitely want to see both? It would save you a few hours returning to Zurich just for the flight home.
One thing I remember noticing with regards to trains is that the journey times between some places were longer than I would have expected. I think there is a map online somewhere that tells you journey times between the main towns/cities, which might be a good place to start. I could try to find it for you if you'd like.
Something that might be worth looking at if you are particularly interested in the scenery is one of the scenic train routes, such as the Bernina Express or the Glacier Express.I did the Bernina Express and it was one of the best experiences of my life
Butterbeer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post

I used to travel to Switzerland a lot with work, was usually in Zurich but travelled to a couple of the other places on your list for conferences.

I also think you have too many places and are just going to be travelling and not really seeing any of the places, I would probably half your stops. Trains are excellent, like Japan, you can set your watch by them.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

IMO, your suggested itinerary is far too ambitious for a week. Personally, I would explore the Bernese Oberland based in Interlaken visiting Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Grindelwald, Murren and take the train to the Jungfraujoch (the ‘Top of Europe’). It’s also possible to take the train to Lucerne and to Bern for the day. The Berner Oberland pass is good value and gives free or discounted travel on trains, buses, funiculars, cable cars, lake steamers, etc.

Edited at 10:56 PM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Mobile

Ok thank you, I'll have another look at our itinerary. Definitely want to do Lucerne for the transport museum, Interlaken and Murran for the scenery and Montruex as my son is a massive Queen fan so they're musts

2023 - Orlando/Gulf Coast
2024 - Menorca & Malta
2025 - Norwegian Fjords and Boston/NY
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Rossalino
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
IMO, your suggested itinerary is far too ambitious for a week. Personally, I would explore the Bernese Oberland based in Interlaken visiting Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Grindelwald, Murren and take the train to the Jungfraujoch (the ‘Top of Europe’). It’s also possible to take the train to Lucerne and to Bern for the day. The Berner Oberland pass is good value and gives free or discounted travel on trains, buses, funiculars, cable cars, lake steamers, etc.
We did this area last summer and stayed in Wengen for 5 nights. We were there at the end of July/beginning of August and it was hot so can't comment on October. We'd flown into Genoa and had 3 nights in Italy then got a train to Brig in Switzerland for a couple of nights then the train up to Wengen. We didn't have a car, just used the trains and cable cars for a days out. We had a lovely holiday and would definitely recommend it.
Rossalino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rossalino View Post
We did this area last summer and stayed in Wengen for 5 nights. We were there at the end of July/beginning of August and it was hot so can't comment on October. We'd flown into Genoa and had 3 nights in Italy then got a train to Brig in Switzerland for a couple of nights then the train up to Wengen. We didn't have a car, just used the trains and cable cars for a days out. We had a lovely holiday and would definitely recommend it.
It’s one of our favourite areas in the world - spent many happy summers there.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

Mobile

DD and I did a long weekend staying in Geneva. We took the train to Montreux and Vevey a lovely little town on the lake.
The train was easy, they were spotless and on time to the minute.
Beautiful area and loved our weekend.
Old 7 Mar 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Some of our kids favourite holidays have been to Switzerland! Beautiful country.
We tend to do day trips to Geneva and Zurich and base ourselves near Interlaken. The town itself is ok but has access to so many stunning places, like the Jungfraujoch, weggen, murren, ballenberg, Lauterbrunnen valley and water falls etc.
We can’t wait to go back!
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dreamadream View Post
Some of our kids favourite holidays have been to Switzerland! Beautiful country.
We tend to do day trips to Geneva and Zurich and base ourselves near Interlaken. The town itself is ok but has access to so many stunning places, like the Jungfraujoch, weggen, murren, ballenberg, Lauterbrunnen valley and water falls etc.
We can’t wait to go back!
I’d forgotten about the Swiss Open-Air Museum at Ballenberg - it’s brilliant.