Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 9 Mar 19, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
tyke
Proud to wear my Ears

Sixt Car Rental

Hi guys

Has anyone used Sixt for car rental in Florida?

We are flying into Miami and have found a good deal on a 12 seat passenger van. Sixt are on site at MIA which is another bonus.

I have only ever used Alamo and Dollar in the past, so I’m unsure if Sixt provide the same level of insurances which are required... can anyone confirm?

From your experience, would you have any reservations in using them?

Thanks

Tyke
tyke is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Tyke

Only used Sixt once so maybe not a fully representative opinion. Picked it up at a downtown Fort Lauderdale location after coming off a cruise back in 2013. Had to phone from the port to get the shuttle to pick us up but other than that they were fine.

Didn't get to choose a car as you do with Alamo but perfectly happy with what we got. As a side issue they gave us a fantastic road map which was basically a fully detailed A-Z town map of FL and Miami.

We booked through usrentacar and we already knew, from using them before a few times, that the car would be fully insured.

Mick (exiled Tyke )
Old 9 Mar 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Not Florida but my stepdaughter used Sixt recently on a trip to Germany.
She booked via Debit card on their website. Nowhere did it say she needed a Credit Card.
When she arrived they treated her like something they had stood in. Couple this with the fact she had my autistic son with her and they left them both in tears in the middle of the airport with no car which she'd already paid for. Staff were so so awful to them.
Thank god Avis car hire where there and bailed them out although they had to pay twice and then get a refund. We wouldn't touch them with a bargepole now.
I realise this isn't Florida but it's marred the company as a whole for me.

2023 - Orlando/Gulf Coast
2024 - Menorca & Malta
2025 - Norwegian Fjords and Boston/NY
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

Check if you will need to use any automatic tolls as Sixt had very high admin fees. I believe it is $10/day plus toll plus tax. The $10 is charged every day even if you only use it once! HIGHWAY ROBBERY.
Old 9 Mar 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by *cath* View Post
Not Florida but my stepdaughter used Sixt recently on a trip to Germany.
She booked via Debit card on their website. Nowhere did it say she needed a Credit Card.
When she arrived they treated her like something they had stood in. Couple this with the fact she had my autistic son with her and they left them both in tears in the middle of the airport with no car which she'd already paid for. Staff were so so awful to them.
Thank god Avis car hire where there and bailed them out although they had to pay twice and then get a refund. We wouldn't touch them with a bargepole now.
I realise this isn't Florida but it's marred the company as a whole for me.
That’s interesting. In their t&cs it says they accept a debit card but has to cover a deposit. Perhaps there wasn’t enough on the DC to cover that deposit. Not good on the way they were treated however.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
That’s interesting. In their t&cs it says they accept a debit card but has to cover a deposit. Perhaps there wasn’t enough on the DC to cover that deposit. Not good on the way they were treated however.
They paid in full at the time of booking

2024 - Menorca & Malta
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by *cath* View Post
They paid in full at the time of booking
Yes I understand that, but to be able to take the car away if you have a DC you have to leave the card details so they can take a fee for excess for the duration of the rental. Hence there has to be available fees in the DC.
In Europe dependant on the company this can be around €1000 as an excess, which is not used in Florida.
If you have a CC this just be put on a hold.

I take excess insurance from third party companies if hiring in Europe or the U.K. to avoid this charge.
If the car is returned undamaged them you get this back.

I look at it this way. If it was my car would I let someone else use it without the means to pay any damage to it? ( I wouldn’t)

I’m not debating the rights and wrongs of CCversus DC when hiring a car, just offering a possible reason for the refusal to hire.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 19, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

They had all of their spending money and savings in the account and plenty of money. Sixt were very much in the wrong, they said they had to repay on their CC

2024 - Menorca & Malta
Old 9 Mar 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
sbuck93
Apprentice Imagineer

We used them in Orlando in 2016 as they had really good young driver fees, no problems at all.

Vegas.Disney.MCFC
sbuck93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 19, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Used Sixit hundreds in Europe for buisness carhire, personally I rate them as best.
Avis in Europe who I have also used hundreds of times I find poor.
People are always swayed by a really good or bad experience.
OP Sixit is Germanys largest carhire company the insurance is good to go.
Tolls is dearer than some cheaper than others.
Look at the whole package.
EG.
Carhire group cost.
Number of drivers cost.
Toll cost ( if you use)
Any other add on costs.
You then can truly only compare real like for like cost on a rental.
Enjoy whatever you choose.