Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Mar 19, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Fantasiax
Helping Donald

Advice please. DGS has broken arm yesterday. We leave in 18 days.

Any advice or suggestions please.
We are a party of 8 leaving in 18 days and DGS 7 has broken arm yesterday. They have manipulated it and put in plaster cast and will x-ray and assess in a week. If it hasn't healed well they may have to operate again to pin it. Will we have to cancel? Staff were not hopeful when the holiday was mentioned due to long haul flight and advised to do our research before next appointment. We have a 2 bed villa at SSR and a villa for the last few days. Insurance for 2 separate families.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks in advance
Fantasiax is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Oh no , You need to speak to the dr really .they can’t really do much in the first week of a break due to swelling etc . My son had 3 different casts put on over 6 weeks. Not sure if you would need a fit to fly as well. I’d call the insurance to give them a heads up and find out your options in the meantime .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

So sorry to hear about your grandson. Not sure if my advice is any use as our friend’s dd broke her arm the day before we were all going to Florida but it was just a small break. They did put it in plaster but somehow made it loose enough that it wouldn’t swell during the flight. She was only 4 when we went and happy to just splash at the edge of the pool with her arm wrapped in a plastic bag! But it sounds like your grandson’s break sounds worse- I hope it heals well and that he doesn’t have to have surgery.
Old 16 Mar 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

My daughter broke her arm 2 weeks before a trip to crete (much shorter flight) we brought a cover off amazon so she could swim (was fine).
My son broke his leg in turkey and they put an inflatable casing on to get him home to avoid swelling on flight home (we left next day).
There are options.
Whilst the insurance would pay out for him and a parent. Not sure it d pay out for everyone and deff not 2nd families insurance (i collapsed and had to miss a family holiday insurance refused to pay out for whole family as thry didnt need to miss their holiday just cos i couldnt fly... hth
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BebeYorkshire
Apprentice Imagineer

It will likely depend on whether surgery is needed and what aftercare, if any is required.

I broke my upper arm in 2016. It was put in back slab (two big pieces of cast material with bandages around it) for the first 2 days as it was too swollen to do anything else with, plus a sling. After that it was xrayed again, was a clean break so I fortunately escaped having it pinned or plated, and I had a custom made cast and brace made. The cast had to be adjusted twice a week for the first 3 weeks, then once a week for the next two. This was purely because of the amount of swelling. I wouldn't have been able to go overseas in that time.

Travelling in the car was painful for a while, I had to have a cushion under the arm. I think flying would be easier but the thought of having people close around and jostling would have bothered me. I had to go on the tube about 5 weeks in and that was pretty horrible.

I wouldn't 100% rule it out just yet, but at the same time I wouldn't get my hopes up either.
BebeYorkshire is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Usually a plaster cast has to be on for 48 hrs before a longhaul flight and you may need a fit to fly letter. If you can have a split cast on instead then you should be ok to fly within 48 hours.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

So sorry for your DGS. My DD broke her arm two weeks before we went to Portugal. She didn’t need a pin or plate but we did ask the dr if it was ok for her to fly.

She was devastated when she thought it meant no swimming. If your DGS can fly and you need a waterproof cover, I can highly recommend DryPro. They are more expensive than other options but a million times better. DD swam and played in the pool every day. We followed the instructions and time limits and her cast was bone dry when it came off.

Fingers crossed for you all 😄
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Aliloo
Getting Excited

Mobile

My son is currently in plaster with a broken elbow; he’s pretty uncomfy and after two weeks still taking painkillers every 4 hours. We’ve got water roof cover from Amazon but make sure you order one that’s large enough as he’s finding it hard to wear for bath / shower so wearing it for long periods might be tough. Good luck!
Aliloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 19, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

It all depends ...

Usually a child heals quickly and with a split cast will be ok ...

But ... not all breaks are as straightforward. Hosp will advise.

Certainly a dry arm cover will help if he does go.

My son broke both arm bones 4 weeks before. He had an OP to pull it straight. He was out of cast in 3!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Fantasiax
Helping Donald

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Oh no , You need to speak to the dr really .they can’t really do much in the first week of a break due to swelling etc . My son had 3 different casts put on over 6 weeks. Not sure if you would need a fit to fly as well. I’d call the insurance to give them a heads up and find out your options in the meantime .
Thanks Mexy02. I think it will depend on how it heals this week, if not well then the plan is to pin it which will be op. I think this may prevent them from going. I am assuming a fit to fly will be required. We will speak to both insurance meantime and find out what out options are.
Fantasiax is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List