Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Mar 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Anyone had dermatitis on the palms of their hands?

I've had lots strange little clusters of spots appear on the palms of my hands this last week, they're also around my wrists, up the edges of my fingers and along the sides of my feet.

DH is convinced it's shingles - I had some on my toe around a month ago and my colleagues & occupational health (I'm a nurse) were also convinced it was shingles, but my GP wasn't because of the location.

They're not particularly itchy, but do feel 'prickly' & sore, I've not changed any products - as am sensitive to things.

I have a GP appointment later as am due to go into a fertility clinic tomorrow so want to 100% rule out shingles rather than put anyone at risk!

Just wondered if anyone had had anything similar - I think it's an odd type of dermatitis - what it turned out to be and what you were given for it.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Yes I had it once it was awful. Do they burst and weep? Mine did. I had to wear cotton gloves all the time.
I'm convinced mine was caused by an allergic reaction to a tetanus vaccination ( because it started 24 hours after) but my doctor disagreed. Anyway eventually it went away, after a few months though, and hasn't come back in 20 years. Never did find out what caused it but I've refused tetanus vaccine ever since.
I treated it with a 0.5% steroid cream when it was very bad but otherwise left it alone

Edited at 12:04 PM.
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Yes I had it once it was awful. Do they burst and weep? Mine did. I had to wear cotton gloves all the time.
I'm convinced mine was caused by an allergic reaction to a tetanus vaccination ( because it started 24 hours after) but my doctor disagreed. Anyway eventually it went away, after a few months though, and hasn't come back in 20 years. Never did find out what caused it but I've refused tetanus vaccine ever since.
I treated it with a 0.5% steroid cream when it was very bad but otherwise left it alone
They haven't yet, but the ones on my toe did that and they do look the same, they took a while to reach the burst stage.

Thank you, I think i'll ask for a referral to a dermatologist, it's such an awkward place and isn't particularly nice to look at!

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I've had lots strange little clusters of spots appear on the palms of my hands this last week, they're also around my wrists, up the edges of my fingers and along the sides of my feet.

DH is convinced it's shingles - I had some on my toe around a month ago and my colleagues & occupational health (I'm a nurse) were also convinced it was shingles, but my GP wasn't because of the location.

They're not particularly itchy, but do feel 'prickly' & sore, I've not changed any products - as am sensitive to things.

I have a GP appointment later as am due to go into a fertility clinic tomorrow so want to 100% rule out shingles rather than put anyone at risk!

Just wondered if anyone had had anything similar - I think it's an odd type of dermatitis - what it turned out to be and what you were given for it.
Google Dyshidrotic eczema, sounds similar... I got this out of the blue Q4 last year, never had anything like it before in my life. Couldn't get an appointment at the quacks for three or four weeks, and since Google told me it tends to last that long, never bothered with a proper diagnosis and just got some corticosteroid cream from the pharmacy.
Causes are apparently allergies and stress... the latter rang true with me, so put it down to that.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
Google Dyshidrotic eczema, sounds similar... I got this out of the blue Q4 last year, never had anything like it before in my life. Couldn't get an appointment at the quacks for three or four weeks, and since Google told me it tends to last that long, never bothered with a proper diagnosis and just got some corticosteroid cream from the pharmacy.
Causes are apparently allergies and stress... the latter rang true with me, so put it down to that.
Yes I'd found that by googling 'spots on palms of hands', hence why I think it's dermatitis - thank you, I really think that's what it is, everyone keeps freaking me out as they're convinced it's shingles!

Yep certainly stressed so it fits - thank you.

Old 18 Mar 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
Yes I'd found that by googling 'spots on palms of hands', hence why I think it's dermatitis - thank you, I really think that's what it is, everyone keeps freaking me out as they're convinced it's shingles!

Yep certainly stressed so it fits - thank you.
I had it on my feet too (well, one of 'em)... hands cleared up quickly, but the feet were a nightmare - I train/teach karate, ostensibly barefoot, but obviously with dressings and an ankle support bandage positioned to suit, but it really delayed healing and had me walking dodgy... possibly TMI, but at its worst, the bottom of my foot looked like Robbie Williams' Rock DJ video!
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
LunaNyteskye
Apprentice Imagineer

Could it be hand foot and mouth? That seems to be doing the rounds just now.

October 2009 Sequoia Lodge Disneyland Paris;
October 2011 Kissimmee Villa;
October 2013 Port Orleans Riverside WDW;
November 2015 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa;
November 2016 Hotel Santa Fe Disneyland Paris;
October 2019 Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW, DIBB Villa, Hard Rock Hotel & Grand Floridian WDW
LunaNyteskye is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LunaNyteskye View Post
Could it be hand foot and mouth? That seems to be doing the rounds just now.
I don't think so, nothing around my mouth and I've not been unwell at all. It did cross my mind though.

Old 18 Mar 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

I would guess at dyshidrotic eczema too. I get small fluid filled blisters that are quite itchy and sore (horrible on the soles of your feet). After the blister pops, a small scab forms and then a larger area of skin peels. I wear gloves a lot when doing outside jobs and avoid touching metals (have farm, so touch lots) which helps on the hands and is no longer a problem. Also a heavy moisturiser such as vicks or vasoline on your feet may help. My GP failed to diagnose it, many do. I'm not a fan of Dr Google or asking for medical help on social media, but it worked for me!
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
I would guess at dyshidrotic eczema too. I get small fluid filled blisters that are quite itchy and sore (horrible on the soles of your feet). After the blister pops, a small scab forms and then a larger area of skin peels. I wear gloves a lot when doing outside jobs and avoid touching metals (have farm, so touch lots) which helps on the hands and is no longer a problem. Also a heavy moisturiser such as vicks or vasoline on your feet may help. My GP failed to diagnose it, many do. I'm not a fan of Dr Google or asking for medical help on social media, but it worked for me!
Thank you.

Yes the area on my toe blistered, popped then the skin peeled, I’m pretty convinced this is what it is.

I’m going to ask for a dermatologist referral later.