Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Mar 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
My ex and I bought one when we got married out there in 1995. You can email in and claim the voucher to buy the "souvenir" online from shopDisney.com however I'm not sure if he's worth $10 😂😂
He'd probably argue over custody of it anyway 😎
Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
soraia
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
My God you have to hand it to Disney of how they can make money.

I am not criticizing them for removing the bricks as they were sold with a 2011 end date and that is well past.

Some thoughts:-

Since the bricks were not designed to be removed individually, they will not be available to take home - Nonsense, WDW for years offered this service so ones brick could be lifted, the engraving re coloured and then put back

Guests who sponsored a brick and would like to get a souvenir version should do the following:

Guests can stop by City Hall at Magic Kingdom Park or Guest Relations at Disney Springs to verify their previous brick by sharing the name and hometown of the Guest who sponsored it.
After verification, they will be given a one-time use voucher enabling you to purchase one commemorative 6” brick at a special price of $10 (plus tax). - That is a nice gesture by WDW. However the brick they are selling is worth maybe $2!

Also available to any Guests, not just those who originally sponsored a brick in “Disney’s Walk Around the World,” will be a 6” brick ($29.99 plus tax – available now), 8” brick ($49.99 plus tax – available now) and ornament ($24.99 plus tax – on sale soon), all with customization included. - How much! Now that is profiteering.
Mr TM - you took the words right out of my mouth. That's exactly what I thought when I read the news, profiteering to the max!
soraia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Does anyone know what will replace them? Will they be offering a chance for new sponsored bricks or will it be plain paving? I've always wanted to be able to sponsor a brick, it all happened before my time. Though I suppose if they bring it back it will be through the roof expensive! How much did you pay for them before?
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by dreamisawish View Post
Does anyone know what will replace them? Will they be offering a chance for new sponsored bricks or will it be plain paving? I've always wanted to be able to sponsor a brick, it all happened before my time. Though I suppose if they bring it back it will be through the roof expensive! How much did you pay for them before?
I found this that may help ref prices.

Walk Around the World, was a promotional program originally offered during “The Disney Decade” (1990’s). Guests were able to purchase personalized hexagonal paver stones that were used to create walking paths around the immediate Magic Kingdom area. The original plan was for the Walk Around the World stones was to create walking trails from the Magic Kingdom to all three Magic Kingdom area resorts. At the time, two different types of paver stones were offered; a smaller brick colored (red with black imprint) stone that retailed around $85-$125 and a larger grey stone (granite) that cost around $250. As part of the purchase, the pavers were guaranteed to stay in place for 10 years.

Unfortunately around 2000-2001, the Walk Around the World program was discontinued. There is still much speculation as to why this happened, but many agree it was impacted by the low sales of Epcot‘s Leave a Legacy program. The Leave a Legacy program was launched in 1999 to celebrate the new millennium. For $35 for one person and $38 for two people, guests were able to have a digital image of themselves etched onto a small steel plate and mounted on one of the large granite megaliths located directly in front of Spaceship Earth (in Leave a Legacy Plaza). There was enough space to mount roughly 700,000 tiles. Per the Leave a Legacy contract, these tiles had to remain somewhere on Walt Disney World property for 20 years. The program was discontinued in 2007 with, much to Disney’s dismay, only 550,000 tiles being sold.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

I found this that may help ref prices.

Walk Around the World, was a promotional program originally offered during “The Disney Decade” (1990’s). Guests were able to purchase personalized hexagonal paver stones that were used to create walking paths around the immediate Magic Kingdom area. The original plan was for the Walk Around the World stones was to create walking trails from the Magic Kingdom to all three Magic Kingdom area resorts. At the time, two different types of paver stones were offered; a smaller brick colored (red with black imprint) stone that retailed around $85-$125 and a larger grey stone (granite) that cost around $250. As part of the purchase, the pavers were guaranteed to stay in place for 10 years.

Unfortunately around 2000-2001, the Walk Around the World program was discontinued. There is still much speculation as to why this happened, but many agree it was impacted by the low sales of Epcot‘s Leave a Legacy program. The Leave a Legacy program was launched in 1999 to celebrate the new millennium. For $35 for one person and $38 for two people, guests were able to have a digital image of themselves etched onto a small steel plate and mounted on one of the large granite megaliths located directly in front of Spaceship Earth (in Leave a Legacy Plaza). There was enough space to mount roughly 700,000 tiles. Per the Leave a Legacy contract, these tiles had to remain somewhere on Walt Disney World property for 20 years. The program was discontinued in 2007 with, much to Disney’s dismay, only 550,000 tiles being sold.
That's really interesting! I was thinking they could charge however much they wanted and someone would still bite, it seems to be that way with Disney a lot recently! But maybe even Disney can't sell everything.

I would definitely want to leave my mark on Disney, I probably would have bought one- not sure if I would have gone with the leave a legacy if I could have seen the monoliths when deciding because they are pretty ugly- but the bricks definitely. I wonder if Disney think the market for these has improved, or just that they want to get plain paving down now.

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Found this as well. Didn't know that.

Dixie Landings and Port Orleans Cast Members have chipped in to buy 8 Walk Around the World bricks in memory of children who died in the Oklahoma City bombing. There are 8 bricks with 7 listing the names of three children and the 8th listing one child, a blank line, and then Oklahoma City, OK. They are in a circle with the 8th one in the middle, and about midway between the bus stop at the Kingdom and the Contemporary. If anyone really wants to look for them and wants more specifics, they can ask at the info desk for the bricks in front of the MK (by the big circle of granite Disneyana bricks)

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Found this as well. Didn't know that.

Dixie Landings and Port Orleans Cast Members have chipped in to buy 8 Walk Around the World bricks in memory of children who died in the Oklahoma City bombing. There are 8 bricks with 7 listing the names of three children and the 8th listing one child, a blank line, and then Oklahoma City, OK. They are in a circle with the 8th one in the middle, and about midway between the bus stop at the Kingdom and the Contemporary. If anyone really wants to look for them and wants more specifics, they can ask at the info desk for the bricks in front of the MK (by the big circle of granite Disneyana bricks)
Its these kind of stories that make me wish they'd leave them as is! Part of disney history, and I'm sure so many of them were bought for or by people who are no longer with us!

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
Old 19 Mar 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Guests can stop by City Hall at Magic Kingdom Park or Guest Relations at Disney Springs to verify their previous brick by sharing the name and hometown of the Guest who sponsored it.
After verification, they will be given a one-time use voucher enabling you to purchase one commemorative 6” brick at a special price of $10 (plus tax). - That is a nice gesture by WDW. However the brick they are selling is worth maybe $2!
You do realise that that's how businesses work, right? Almost everything is sold at a price significantly higher than it actually costs.

Also available to any Guests, not just those who originally sponsored a brick in “Disney’s Walk Around the World,” will be a 6” brick ($29.99 plus tax – available now), 8” brick ($49.99 plus tax – available now) and ornament ($24.99 plus tax – on sale soon), all with customization included. - How much! Now that is profiteering.
Well, compared to the original price of the Walk Around the World bricks, those prices are actually quite cheap. Back in the 90s they were really profiteering from those things. 2019 Disney must be slipping.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
The program was discontinued in 2007 with, much to Disney’s dismay, only 550,000 tiles being sold.[/I]
I'm sure Disney was dismayed by the $19million it made from selling a few pictures on steel plaques.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
You do realise that that's how businesses work, right? Almost everything is sold at a price significantly higher than it actually costs.

Well, compared to the original price of the Walk Around the World bricks, those prices are actually quite cheap. Back in the 90s they were really profiteering from those things. 2019 Disney must be slipping.
Ahh, now I know who to come to when I require a lesson in business management. I would never have thought of that.