Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 7 Nov 19, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Omg, that photo of EuroMaus (I believe he's called Ed?) - unless there's some cultural reference that is lost on us, this is straight out of Jonestown

The park looks beautifully green and well themed, and a toilet halfway through a queue is a great idea, and not just for young children - I have ulcerative colitis and am always on a lookout for the nearest toilet

Omg 2, your tent It certainly looks cosy! I was thinking of the nearby holiday inn for accommodation, but fancied something with a little more 'character' so have booked a very 'German looking' local guesthouse, but am still looking at alternatives. The onsite hotels look lovely but unfortunately well exceed our budget for this trip.

And omg 3, that cake. Oh why did I have to see this tonight. The low carb intermittent fasting I'm doing at the moment just got a little harder

The tap water anecdote is so funny. It reminded me of an incident in the US when a colleague of DH seemed confused when we were speaking of a tap (rather than the American faucet) even though Americans quite happily refer to tap-water...

Looking forward to the next instalment (and finding out how was your first night in the tent )

Edited at 12:04 AM.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 07:05 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Love the tip Europa looks good and not that busy ! looking forward to next installment!
Old 7 Nov 19, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
SuziQz
VIP Dibber

Loving the bargain sausage meal, but not the bargain tent - another reminder of why I don’t do camping hope you both slept ok. How many nights did your neighbours stay for? Just as well it wasn’t the height of summer and really warm

We enjoyed our time at Tivoli in the summer so looking forward to tomorrow’s report as I know nothing about Europa park

Did you get to meet the mascot?
2019 DCL - Northern Europe
2020 YC/HRH - delayed to 2022
2021 DCL - 4 night Staycation
2022 YC/HRH v2!, 2023 DCL - Alaska
2024 DCL - Spain
SuziQz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
Omg, that photo of EuroMaus (I believe he's called Ed?) - unless there's some cultural reference that is lost on us, this is straight out of Jonestown

The park looks beautifully green and well themed, and a toilet halfway through a queue is a great idea, and not just for young children - I have ulcerative colitis and am always on a lookout for the nearest toilet

Omg 2, your tent It certainly looks cosy! I was thinking of the nearby holiday inn for accommodation, but fancied something with a little more 'character' so have booked a very 'German looking' local guesthouse, but am still looking at alternatives. The onsite hotels look lovely but unfortunately well exceed our budget for this trip.

And omg 3, that cake. Oh why did I have to see this tonight. The low carb intermittent fasting I'm doing at the moment just got a little harder

The tap water anecdote is so funny. It reminded me of an incident in the US when a colleague of DH seemed confused when we were speaking of a tap (rather than the American faucet) even though Americans quite happily refer to tap-water...

Looking forward to the next instalment (and finding out how was your first night in the tent )
Yes you're right, EuroMaus is called Ed. I'm not sure if it's different outfits or there's a family of them because there's a teen looking one dressed in black that DD dubbed EmoMouse, she hated them all anyway

Camping...I always go in with optimism and leave with regrets

I think you'll do well in the town, we got lost trying to find the Bell Rock and ended up in the dark in an area I thought was going to be a sketchy estate but it was actually very nice and not scary at all - seems a calm and quiet sort of place.

Sending positive diet vibes!

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Love the tip Europa looks good and not that busy ! looking forward to next installment!
Europa Park and Efteling were both significantly less busy than DLP. Particularly because EP is so vast and with so many attractions and places to eat etc. we never felt too crowded. More to follow

Originally Posted by SuziQz View Post
Loving the bargain sausage meal, but not the bargain tent - another reminder of why I don’t do camping hope you both slept ok. How many nights did your neighbours stay for? Just as well it wasn’t the height of summer and really warm

We enjoyed our time at Tivoli in the summer so looking forward to tomorrow’s report as I know nothing about Europa park

Did you get to meet the mascot?
There might be a photo of the mascot worrying DD later Tivoli I thought was fantastic, there's something for a park that has clearly had the gardens grow around it with lots of water and trees. De-stresses the environment vs all that theme-park concrete.

Neighbours were one or two nights, it was hard to keep track as most people only stayed a short time (3 nights in that teepee was 3 too many!). The camper vans across the way got to use the site facilities and that was probably the better low cost approach.
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post

I like the look of Europa park and look forward to your Efteling bits ( as we did 3 days in Efteling in AUg and loved it, infact couldnt fault any of it )
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Sallyingforth
Earning More Ears

Woah what's that mouse about? I hope there is going to be a best mascot voting category😀. Europa park looks Fab so far
Sallyingforth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Day 5 - Europa Park

Up early for a first full day at Europa Park which was opening at 9. Sleep in the teepee had been bearable, I can sleep soundly anywhere and while DD didn’t get the greatest quality of sleep she still slept the whole night. Breakfast was included and served in the main building of the campsite.

No pics of the breakfast itself which was a standard/pretty average buffet (hot food not very hot but otherwise fine). The distraction of a lurking EuroMaus/Ed the Cult Leader did however allow me to take a rare, unguarded shot of the teenager.
Once Upon a Time in Rust

It’s nice that they have the character at the meal without it being an extra thing to monetise So we headed off to the park after this ‘The Monsters are Dancing in the Park’ etc. Loads of Halloween stuff on display, but this fountain has skulls on it all the time so clearly a certain darkness of theme is not only for Halloween.

Within the park there must have been thousands of pumpkins, gourds, squashes, courgettes. Those things grow like weeds in this part of the world but what a lot of decoration! Not sure if these corn on the cob characters are a year round fixture either?
I don’t want to meet the Green Giant who cans this corn

All very German, along with stilt walkers and slightly scary vamp ladies it was a full on Halloween fest (late in the Evenings they were running their Horror Nights ‘Traumatica’ ). At this point I should show some shots of the park map to give an idea of the scale.

Map sequence top left/bottom left/top right/bottom right:

Huge isn’t it On that first morning I recall us going from rope drop to Silver Star, a large fast rollercoaster which swoops through the car park.

It was foggy as hell that morning and it not being able to see where we were going added to the thrill Woke us up that’s for sure! After that we did the CanCan coaster in France, a Space Mountain’ish ride based on the Moulin Rouge show. There were so many rides with short queues early on that I’m struggling to recall them all, we rode Piccolo Mondo which was a dreadful small re-work of Small World based on Italian Dogs () then the Europa Park version of Haunted Mansion which I thought was excellent but scared DD a bit - not great with horror.
DW always wants to know what they are eating in the restaurant scene

Before lunch we also rode I believe the Alpine Coaster (mine train’ish - just ok) before stumbling across a log flume called the Tirdler which had us in fits of giggles about being flushed down it.

This was a good ride to be fair and a bit wet we followed up with the raft ride in Iceland that was a good one with some moderate and pleasingly random splashiness. By then it was time for lunch and with no fixed plan we wandered around till we found a large Quick Service restaurant up some stairs with a good view over the park. DD grabbed a table while I queued but there was no need, lunch rush and there were plenty of table for all More good food, spagbol for DD and schnitzel for me with a pint all for €24 And you could do an EPIC bar crawl here around the countries. Hmm I never did have the stag do second time around...

Love the value of a Germany holiday!

After lunch we did plenty more rides but concentrating on the shorter queue ones to an extent. Think we did a couple of the slow boat type ones (Jungle Cruise’ish and a Pinocchio thing) and one of the Autopia style rides - there are so many attractions. The last major thing we rode that day was one of the Water Coasters, Atlantica Super Splash which was in the Portugal section, another really solid ride with a great double drop at the end

Wandered round a bit more and I think that was about it for the day. We tried to shop but the EP shopping game is fairly weak by Disney standards so we ended up with waffles instead
Nutella waffle DD

My sour cherry one which is not a weird choice thank you daughter

We left at this point, changed and showered back at the camp and I booked us a dinner back in one of the hotels again after a couple of hours resting our aching feet after a lot of walking (EP feels even bigger than EPCOT).

After a bit of hunting around we went for a Brazilian skewers & buffet style meal in the El Andaluz hotel. This hotel didn;t sound the most exciting (Spanish themed) but actually inside it was amazing, almost like a real castle in places they did a great job and I’d look at staying there if we came back given it’s not as pricey as the Bell Rock etc. I believe.

Photos from 2 different, adjoined hotels

That sort of food doesn’t photo well and it was dark in there but it’s your churrascaria experience with the red and green sign to bring/don’t bring more meats. Fairly basic choice of the main meats but all very nice and the full buffet had salad as well as other main courses, kids meals etc. so you can’t really go wrong. And it was like €50 total including our soft drinks and the tip

Back to the tent after this via the train service (which keeps running for residents after the main park closes) for more teepee time. We avoided the scary looking goings on of the Traumatica crowd and went to sleep
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 03:34 AM  
Link to this Post
HEMANCLOFTY
Dibbing with Tink

HEMANCLOFTY's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great Europa Park Days - we did FastPass for Voletareum so missed the queue theming - will def need to check it out next time 👍🏻
HEMANCLOFTY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

your definitely making me want to go to Europa - almost hoping you say Efteling is not that good for teenagers so I dont feel the need to go there to!
Old 8 Nov 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Sounds like you had a great day, and what a lovely photo of your daughter to start the day with. Such a lovely experience to share with her dad (small tent and creepy mouse notwithstanding).

The dark undertone is most definitely there in European theme parks isn't it; we noticed it in Efteling too. I think within that environment it kind of grew on us, though anywhere else we wouldn't really care for it. I suppose when you think of it, many of the old fairy tales, and most definitely the Grimm brothers' fairly tales, are really quite dark, and well... grim

I've been looking at the map, and it does look very(!) big (thanks for the offer of a paper map, but I've managed to download a good PDF version). I'm planning two days at the park, and an additional day at Rulantica - I hope it's adequate (we won't be riding any of the very scary coasters).

Food seems decent and reasonably-priced. Have you noticed, by any chance, if there are any plant-based options? I know no one goes to Germany to have a vegetarian sausage or schnitzel , but I'm hoping they still cater for that. We had very low expectations on that front from Efteling and were positively surprised. The waffles look good, but I'm with your daughter there on the sour cherry topping

The hotel where you had dinner is one of the cheaper ones; in fact if you go out of season and book in advance it's not too bad at all. I think the new hotel that just opened is even cheaper though. I contemplated a split stay with maybe a couple of nights there, and the rest in a guesthouse, but I don't think we can be bothered to move (and we'll be spending all day in the park anyway).

Looking forward to the next instalment - great report so far.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List