Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Nov 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Same, just looked and there's a definite increase.

When we just did a day trip last year we stayed at a nearby campsite and it was fab. Think we'll do that again this summer instead.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
I just had a nosy at the free dining deal at DLP, considering going there over my 30th birthday in July 2021 (I realise these prices are based on 2020 but it gives me an idea!)

DLP - 5 nights with free half board at Sequoia Lodge with 5 day park hopper and Eurostar - £1,770 for two adults with €100 gift card.
£354 per night (or £300 if you exclude Eurostar cost).

WDW - 14 nights Coronado Springs with free QSDP, 14 days park tickets, direct flights budgeting £4k for two adults. Speculating at a $300 gift card. £285 per night (or £228 excluding budgeted flight amount of £800). Based on my 2019 prices + 10%.

Both 'off peak'. I realise DLP is great for a shorter Disney fix but I was surprised at the difference in cost per night for what I see as a lesser offering (2 parks vs 6 parks!).

Think I will use the extra holiday for 2 weeks rather than 1 and stick to WDW!
Generally Disney is expensive, always has been and always will be. But yes DLP prices have risen lately. However it doesn't seem to be putting people off - in a recent shareholders call by Disney they specifically called out DLP as the park with the best increase in performance worldwide this year. The US parks seem to be lagging behind in revenue & visitor growth.

As others have mentioned it really is comparing apples with pears when it comes to WDW vs DLP pricing as they are completely different beasts. When you know you have a room booked for 14 nights and have designed your whole resort on keeping people in the Disney bubble (and therefore spending in the Disney shops, bars,restaurants, and so on) you can afford to drop the room rate slightly, because you are going to encourage spending elsewhere.

DLP is more akin to Disneyland California, people often only stay 2 or 3 nights and aren't spending anywhere near as much on secondary spend. It is also much easier to leave the bubble and spend elsewhere - the train from the gates of DLP will take you to a huge shopping mall with a whole range of restaurants in less than 5 minutes.

Of course the market in France and US is very different, specifically the labour market and the cost of employment, meaning it is more expensive per employee to run the resort in Paris, so costs are higher. Plus exchange rates etc etc.

Another couple of points re the pricing (£354 pn at DLP vs £285 pn at WDW) - with that DLP quote you are actually getting 6 days park access (since DLP give you park access for your whole stay, including check-in and check-out day), and the meal plan is for a full breakfast buffet at your hotel, plus a table service meal - making it higher value than the QSPD, once you factor that in - it doesn't come out too much different. And as others have said, because you can visit for a much shorter time the overall cost of the holiday is lower - which is what matters to lots of guests due to budgets and so on.

Edited at 03:32 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
WDW - 14 nights Coronado Springs with free QSDP, 14 days park tickets, direct flights budgeting £4k for two adults.
£4k for 14 nights, park tickets and flights seem a little optimistic.

We're going at the very end of August and into September next year - so these prices will be cheaper than July 2021 (I thought July was "peak"?). Room prices are around £200 per night. Tickets were £450 each. Direct flights are around £550 each. So more like £4800. Which is £383 a night.

That's a similar price to your price per night for DLP.

Of course, the overall price for WDW is going to be significantly greater than the overall price for DLP. It costs over 2.5 times for that trip to WDW than the one to DLP. The main reason a trip to DLP is cheaper is that it's usually for a shorter duration. WDW seems like a good price because you're spreading the greater cost over 14 nights.

Instead, it's probably best to compare like-with-like. If you went to WDW for 5 nights then, using my numbers above, it would cost £3000 in total. Whereas 5 nights at DLP costs £1770. So for the same length of time, DLP costs considerably less.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List