Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Nov 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
The OP never mentioned paying the deposit via credit card or the company name. I think the warnings / advice given was correct given the level of information in the original post.

Its pretty simple from a financial protection point of view:
  • Cash - most risky
  • Bank transfer
  • Debit card
  • Credit card - least risky

This is the advice from financial organisations and the police.

Your one experience of a good outcome with Carter is great but it does not fly in the face of general good advice which should be shared to people spending thousands on holidays.

If the OP had told us the deposit had been paid on credit card and the company was carter the replies would of been more targeted.

The better the post - the better the advice
I'm not that up myself to believe that my 'one good outcome with cHarter' and BTW I don't see it as an outcome as again twisted words make this seem that I've had an issue that has had to be resolved, is more important than any one else on this forum. I was merely pointing out that the advice could have been put in a different way that didn't make the OP worry that they had made a wrong decision.
And please tell me where I've advised the poster to fly in the face of general good advice? Because honestly, I've booked with Charter as they had the best quote, were able to match my TC holiday exactly with the exception of which aircraft I'm flying on, but from a financial point of view, I'm not stupid - or simple - which is what is implied in your post. My preference would be to book by the least riskiest option and I wouldn't normally do Bank Transfers for this service, but the recommendations for the company were good (even by Virgin themselves), I checked their ATOL/ABTA status, I saw info on this forum about what is covered etc.

You are quite condescending in your post above, and you've finished off by saying the better the post the better the advice - well then instead of other posters immediately telling OP that they could be victim of a scam, that it's a red flag to fraud, etc. Maybe the response should have been, 'what company have you booked with, and did you pay deposit by CC', then wait for OP's response. But just look at the response from the OP when they finally did respond. I actually felt the heart sink for them, thinking they had done the wrong thing.

We all know there are perfectly good travel agents out there that use the bank transfer system, just as we know there are some down right dodgy companies.

Edited at 10:17 AM.
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

You seem annoyed. I never said any of the things you have suggested in your post.

Have a nice day.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
You seem annoyed. I never said any of the things you have suggested in your post.

Have a nice day.
You think you know me so well, but no, I'm not annoyed. Posts speak for themselves, and get read the way they want to be read.

You too have a 'not in anyway meant to sound sarcastic' nice day!
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Good Grief TeeKayDawn.
Dibbers always give such very good advise and in this instance I think the answers to the original post were totally correct. There are so many fraudsters out there on the internet and I would not pay by bank transfer unless I could confirm the supplier was 100% genuine. Had the poster said the company was Charter travel the answers would of course have been entirely different. But that was not the case and polite safety warnings were given regarding sending money to an unknown (at the time of the post) party.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TeeKayDawn View Post
You think you know me so well, but no, I'm not annoyed. Posts speak for themselves, and get read the way they want to be read.

You too have a 'not in anyway meant to sound sarcastic' nice day!
Oh the irony in what you just posted. And I meant the have a nice day bit.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Alohomora
Getting Excited

Hi all

Thank you again for your replies. I am sorry I didn't quite give all the information in my original post. I am rather guilty of this nowadays as constantly seem to do everything in a rush all the time lol.

I also didn't want to mention the company as I didn't know if that was really permitted on here, being new to the Dibb.

I really appreciate your replies and thank you again for your help. I am assured now that all will be okay and would always send a small payment via transfer initially, just in case.

Thank you x
Alohomora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Alohomora View Post
Hi all

Thank you again for your replies. I am sorry I didn't quite give all the information in my original post. I am rather guilty of this nowadays as constantly seem to do everything in a rush all the time lol.

I also didn't want to mention the company as I didn't know if that was really permitted on here, being new to the Dibb.

I really appreciate your replies and thank you again for your help. I am assured now that all will be okay and would always send a small payment via transfer initially, just in case.

Thank you x
Great don't be sorry a conversation developed beyond where it needed too. It wasn't a criticism of you in anyway

Glad all is well in the end and do post again if you need anything
Old 19 Nov 19, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
BobFish123
Chilling at Carribean Beach

The issue with Bank Transfers is when you send money to an account (whether correctly or incorrectly) you have entered those details so the banks are not obliged to help you retrieve it if something went wrong, hence the stories you see some people being scammed by bank transfers. It is a legitimate way of paying but offers less security than other methods.

Surely if you have paid a deposit by card you can pay the balance by card as the company clearly offer that type of payment method. IMO I would be insisting on card payment but that’s my preferred method, each to their own.
BobFish123 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List