Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Oct 19, 06:52 AM  
Link to this Post
AhoyShipmates
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by monique View Post
We just flew hand luggage only last Sunday and are still in Florida now... 2nd time we’ve done it. There’s 3 of us and we each have a cabin sized case plus a small handbag. I pack enough for 7 days and then just wash it and/or buy other T-shirt’s... When we landed we were off the plane super fast and as husband holds an American passport, we zoomed through security and straight to the main arrival hall and to the garage. On the first night we popped into Publix and bought shampoo and everything else we needed. So much easier and stress free. Hate that wait for bags at the end of a long flight.
I have a US passport but stopped using it as I didn’t want to be separated from my travelling companion/s. I’m interested in how it helps speed up your journey - do they let you go through the same immigration queue as your husband?
AhoyShipmates is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 03:05 AM  
Link to this Post
chelynnah
VIP Dibber

chelynnah's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Cocobean121 View Post
Glad I came across this thread, have just booked Virgin Light for the princely sum of £281 for next May, but thought I was being a bit daft contemplating hand luggage only.

We’ve just come back from a 3 week trip, when I unloaded my case when I got home I hadn’t worn probably 60% of the clothes, and none of the shoes! It was all new stuff aswell as I’d lost a tonne of weight before I went, so it just had to be done. I also binned a lot of the toiletries to save on weight on the way home, making room for things I bought out there that I didn’t really need.

Now I’m looking forward to being ‘free’ of excess baggage, and if needs be will buy a big hold-all out there for the return and pay £45 to virgin.

One question if anyone can help tho, I was thinking of using vacuum bags, but as we are hotel and not villa this year, would there be any way of suctioning them on the way back?
As someone else has said, if I can’t get hold of a vacuum I leave a corner of the zipper open and roll them up, or lie flat on them and then float the rest of the zip while still rolled. If you’re at a villa you’ll have a vacuum, and when we were at Disney in Feb, the housekeeper actually let us borrow the vacuum for a few minutes. Some places they have let us and others they haven’t for ‘health and safety’.

We also use packing cubes. Often use packing cubes on the way out, taking vacuum bags with us, then shrinking the packing cubes in the vacuum bags along with new purchases for the way back. So both things can actually work together. I wouldn’t be without either.
WDW several trips as a child; WDW 1993 on working vacation; DLP Sept 2003 - Newport Bay Hotel; WDW January 2007 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; DLP Sept 2008 - DLH; WDW/US/BG January 2013 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; WDW/US and MVMCP Nov 2015 - offsite townhouse; DLP Sept 2016 - Hotel B&B; WDW Feb 2017 - POFQ; DLP June 2017 - SL GF; DLP Sept 2017 - NPB CC; DLP Nov 2018 - SL; WDW Feb 2019 - WDW Princess Half POFQ; DLP Sept 2019 - SL & DLH;
chelynnah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 03:10 AM  
Link to this Post
chelynnah
VIP Dibber

chelynnah's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by AhoyShipmates View Post
I have a US passport but stopped using it as I didn’t want to be separated from my travelling companion/s. I’m interested in how it helps speed up your journey - do they let you go through the same immigration queue as your husband?
I have a Canadian passport as well as a UK one. I always use it going into the US because it’s easier. This past Feb I was told that both myself and hubby could go to the US line because of my Canadian passport, which made things so much quicker. This is the first time I’ve been told that, so maybe it’s part of the new immigration structure at MCO. So I would suspect the same for you now, the rest of your party may be able to go through with you if you have your US passport.
WDW several trips as a child; WDW 1993 on working vacation; DLP Sept 2003 - Newport Bay Hotel; WDW January 2007 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; DLP Sept 2008 - DLH; WDW/US/BG January 2013 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; WDW/US and MVMCP Nov 2015 - offsite townhouse; DLP Sept 2016 - Hotel B&B; WDW Feb 2017 - POFQ; DLP June 2017 - SL GF; DLP Sept 2017 - NPB CC; DLP Nov 2018 - SL; WDW Feb 2019 - WDW Princess Half POFQ; DLP Sept 2019 - SL & DLH;
chelynnah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
Screenshot
I've used the Protege, cost $14 + tax when I got it. Been across the Pond numerous time. Light as a feather and can fit lots in. Highly recommended.

You can order on Walmart.com and collect when there (although the last time I tried this, the order had gone missing )
Old 9 Nov 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post

This is what we use. It's very lightweight indeed. We put Any purchases clothes in it so it squishes and check it on return only. Easily fits in hand luggage on way out.

Anything breaky goes in our handluggage on return as they are solid sided.

amazon/dp/B06ZXWTL3Y

Edited at 05:52 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Double check dimensions of hand luggage, when travelling multi airlines we always go with the smallest allowance and live within that.

Last year did BA AA. Had to check in a BA hand luggage price on the AA leg. Wasn't happy.

I think Delta (esp if delta connect) is likely to be the smallest. The size of the second bag changes too.

We try and stick to the smallest and have only had it removed twice to go in hold - but the send time we had left the expandable zip open in a bid to sneak more it. AA spotted it.

So, we are good. I then get super hacked off when you get in the plane and so you domestic passengers carrying huge quantities of luggage or a 15 tonne elephant and nonchalantly strolling on the plane and ramming it in the overheads. Grrrr.
you get the biggest allowance on all airlines, we flew ncl-dub with stobbart air on a tiny prop plane but still got the aer lingus transatlantic allowance, this is same with all airlines
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by disney babe View Post
you get the biggest allowance on all airlines, we flew ncl-dub with stobbart air on a tiny prop plane but still got the aer lingus transatlantic allowance, this is same with all airlines
I think that's unusual.

Normally when flying cabin bag only I have been advised to take the smallest size across all airlines as cabin bag size is airlines choice / plane type dependant and hold luggage is ticket type.

Otherwise you could get a BA hand luggage size and it wouldn't even fit in the overheads for some of the AA domestic flights we have taken, which are a lot smaller - so not sure how that work?
Old 12 Nov 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

I think that's unusual.

Normally when flying cabin bag only I have been advised to take the smallest size across all airlines as cabin bag size is airlines choice / plane type dependant and hold luggage is ticket type.

Otherwise you could get a BA hand luggage size and it wouldn't even fit in the overheads for some of the AA domestic flights we have taken, which are a lot smaller - so not sure how that work?
we regularly fly BA/AA and always take the BA size, never had an issue as I say been on a flight prop plane with 12 rows and it still fit and our bags are max size, if not they will check them in or if needed ie medication etx will store them for you elsewhere on plane till after takeoff,
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney babe View Post
we regularly fly BA/AA and always take the BA size, never had an issue as I say been on a flight prop plane with 12 rows and it still fit and our bags are max size, if not they will check them in or if needed ie medication etx will store them for you elsewhere on plane till after takeoff,
That's good to know you have had a more positive experience than us. Each time we have had it clearly printed on our booking docs that airline hand luggage sizes apply; and several times had our BA cabin max bags taken off us by AA. Delta have been even stricter.

I may try again this year though if it works ... Thanks for the tip.
Old 15 Nov 19, 02:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

That's good to know you have had a more positive experience than us. Each time we have had it clearly printed on our booking docs that airline hand luggage sizes apply; and several times had our BA cabin max bags taken off us by AA. Delta have been even stricter.

I may try again this year though if it works ... Thanks for the tip.
We are doing BA AA next month and have the maximum BA size hand luggage. when you've done this before were you charged by AA for the larger size or was it just put in the hold at no extra cost?
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List