Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 8 Nov 19, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Northerndave View Post
If you got bad service, why would consider tipping 10%, that sounds crazy to me.

If I get bad service, I tip a single dollar and note on the receipt why I am tipping that amount.
If you have a bad day at work you get paid regardless...

If the server has a bad day you think they should get paid around $6.44 per hour ?

It might sound crazy to you but you have had the benefit of growing up in a society that doesn't depend on tips to make up their wages to a reasonable level.

Sounds crazy to me you think they deserve such little pay because you feel the service wasn't up to what you wanted.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Tipping a single dollar then I would imagine the server would of used foul language, took a poo on your table and called your mum nasty names...

Just wondering how bad it has to be to justify just a dollars tip ...
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 06:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
I am amazed that not only is this opinion still aired on here but its liked by others...

Service is "optional" from a legal stand up but anyone suggesting no one is going to bat an eyelide is absolutely wrong / or it isn't expect / or it ok not to tip...

Good service = the expected tip of 15 to 20%

Bad service = tip around 5 to 10% and you should complain to the manager to explain why. Or at least write on the bill why...

If you tip 0% you are literally expecting the person to work for pretty much nothing...

Minimum wage for a server is $5.44

Why would I tip any amount for bad service?

On three occasions in October this year I left no tip due to bad service, and told them why.

I tip what I want and when I want no one regardless of what the 'suggestion' is, is going to tell me how much to tip a person. May as well just change it to service charge rather than 'tip'

Just to add, none of these times were down to a server having a 'bad day'

Edited at 07:09 AM.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

If you went to Japan, where tipping is considered rude, would you force them to accept a tip? Obviously not.

So - same thing. Abide by the culture of the place you are in, even if you think it is silly.

Tipping in the US is not an optional extra like in the UK. It is literally an essential part of the person’s wages, that they then have to pay other staff out of. If you don’t tip, you are literally taking away money from their pay packet.

I have never had bad service in the US, but if I did I would raise it with the manager and give them a chance to put things right.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

The server is also taxed on an assumed tip - Disney reports the revenue of the tables the waiter has served to the IRS and they will assume a % of this was given as a tip.

So If you don't tip the Server looses out, the bar man looses out if you ordered a drink and the busser who busses the table loses out. It's a very different culture to here so think very carefully before reducing a tip, 'it's too much' is not a good enough reason really.

Also in Disney its true that reducing a tip will not result in a discussion,(at least not to your face) try doing that outside of the bubble and you will probably be challenged then it could get akward.

Edited at 04:12 PM.
gavvy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by gavvy View Post
The server is also taxed on an assumed tip - Disney reports the revenue of the tables the waiter has served to the IRS and they will assume a % of this was given as a tip.
The IRS assumes that 8% of the revenue is given as a tip. Somewhat different from the recommended values shown on bills. I wonder how many servers declare the actual amount received.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Tipping in the US is not an optional extra like in the UK. It is literally an essential part of the person’s wages, that they then have to pay other staff out of. If you don’t tip, you are literally taking away money from their pay packet.
Then they need to stop the charade of calling it a tip, if you are saying it is not optional extra then its a service charge, call it what it is.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gavvy View Post

So If you don't tip the Server looses out, the bar man looses out if you ordered a drink and the busser who busses the table loses out. It's a very different culture to here so think very carefully before reducing a tip, 'it's too much' is not a good enough reason really.

Also in Disney its true that reducing a tip will not result in a discussion,(at least not to your face) try doing that outside of the bubble and you will probably be challenged then it could get akward.

Not once have I ever been challenged regarding the 'tip' I have left outside of Disney, and we have been going to the US for the last 16 years or so
Old 8 Nov 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
RC22
Very Serious Dibber

I always tip around 20% on the pre-tax amount. At Disney the prices are artificially inflated because a) it's Disney and b) it makes the Dining Plan look better value.

As a tip is % of the food, higher priced food means a higher tip - but once the prices get to a certain point it's a lot more you're paying for the same level of service and food (let's face it the food on site is equal at best to most off site franchise chains) You can easily pay twice as much on site than you do for a tip/meal off site. Once you've paid $20 for a tip for a meal for a family of 4 can the service really get any better to justify a higher amount? $20 for one table - less than an hour's work... 4-5 tables on the go at once... should I pay $40 if that's 20% of the obviously inflated amount?

The servers at Disney are absolutely raking it in. This isn't someone struggling to get buy the restaurants are busy and the tips are flowing all evening.

Disney are hiking up the prices to make the Dining Plan look good value and who picks up the tab for the artificially inflated tips as a result? We do. Where else at WDW do the staff effectively get a pay raise every time Disney raise the prices?

That's why I no longer eat at on-site restaurants and would only use the QSDP on site. It's a smoke and mirrors situation that leaves the consumer even more out of pocket.
March 2010 I-Drive Quality Inn International Nov 2011 I-Drive Homewood Suites Oct 2012 The Dibb fave Coral's Villa Lindfields Aug 2013 Blue Heron Resort Aug 2014 NY & Orlando Cane Island 10yr Wedding Anniversary., Oct 2016 Windsor Palms, Royal Pacific and Disney Dream Cruise , Aug 2017 Emerald Island Oct 2019 Emerald Island & Vero Beach Aug 22 Glenbrook villa The First Bite That Gets You Hooked. Trip Report

Edited at 06:27 PM.
RC22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

For me it's simple, if I am on the free dining plan, I have paid £17 / day to upgrade from QSDP to DDP. I consider that these £17 are covering 1 quick service and 2 snacks per day - great deal. Then I have a table service where I can order anything I want, even the most expensive dish, and I"ll pay only the tip. So at a signature restaurant, paying only $20 to $30 for a main, alcoholic drink and dessert still ends up being a very good deal. It's all in the mind and how you want to see it.

Of course, if you're paying OOP or the full amount for DDP then it's another story.

Edited at 12:31 PM.
YLL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List