Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 14 Nov 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
thingy003
Excited about Disney

The point about consistency is an interesting one (IMHO)

Outside of a theme park you have to have consistency to survive. Regardless of whether you are running a greasy spoon or a michelin starred restaurant you have to be consistently putting out food to the standards that you have established. If you fail to do this then you simply will not build up a reputation and enough repeat business and also praise on social media. To a large extent you just don't need that with the captive audience in the parks.

All the restaurants should be run as separate entities and as such there should be no issue with achieving consistency.

I think the more difficult task is to come up with a kids menu that is not radioactive orange mac and cheese!
thingy003 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Is that true though ? Are we expecting more from Disney than we would from other places ?

Let me give an example!

This is one of my fave restaurants local to me. If you go here you will probably have a good time. It has a good reputation and doing really well.

But if you look on trip advisor despite the many many 5 star reviews you hit the odd 1 star review - one complaining about raw chicken. Its hard to find any restaurant on trip advisor that doesn't have bad reviews knocking around despite how good the restaurant is. In the end the dibb is just a smaller version of tripadvisor. And on here my lovely local restaurant would be considered inconsistent. The reality is ALL restaurants suffer from this.

tripadvisor/Restau...e_England.html

For comparison if you look at the Flying Fish mentioned above you see a similar range of reviews.

tripadvisor/Restau...o_Florida.html
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thingy003 View Post
All the restaurants should be run as separate entities and as such there should be no issue with achieving consistency.
This is were I believe you are and others are getting it wrong and you should read my two posts from yesterdays.

The fact they are run as separate entities is exactly why consistency is such a challenge. You are thinking about it the wrong way around.

Edited at 10:51 AM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Flying Fish is not consistently excellent. In February me and Dr JJ went there on consecutive nights, we both did food reports and the experiences were night and day. For me it was the worst fine dining experience ever, not just at Disney, but literally ever.
Wow that sucks. I've only been once (in 2017) but that was by far the most delightful experience in terms of food, service (top notch) and atmosphere. I preferred it to Victoria & Albert's!

I can only hope I won't be disappointed when I go back next year.
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
Did you read the reasoning I put forward?

Where do you think my reasoning is wrong?

It's a bit naff to reply with a blanket statement like this considering I did two posts with detailed reasoning.

Your making a broad brush insulting statement. I actually have high standards when it comes to restaurants I am just being realistic.

You compared franchises with the same supply chain etc to restaurants in disney. Restaurants in disney are usually standalone and only have to remain consistent with their own standards. As I said, to expect this is not unrealistic.

I did not say you didnt have high standards
jocesk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jocesk View Post
You compared franchises with the same supply chain etc to restaurants in disney. Restaurants in disney are usually standalone and only have to remain consistent with their own standards. As I said, to expect this is not unrealistic.

I did not say you didnt have high standards
The point I was making that the restaurants under the Disney dining plan are all largely independent restaurants and as such you will get a lot of variety but the price paid is consistency will differ just like another other independent group of restaurants.

Its like walking into a town center and demanding every individual restaurant you go to will be as good as the next. Its a unrealistic expectation. You are going to have a good and bad.

Variety comes at the price of consistency.
Old 14 Nov 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
This is were I believe you are and others are getting it wrong and you should read my two posts from yesterdays.

The fact they are run as separate entities is exactly why consistency is such a challenge. You are thinking about it the wrong way around.
I think you are misunderstanding.

The restaurant should remain consistent in its own service and quality. Not consistent across restaurants.

Each restaurant has its own manager and head chef, they dont have any relation with each other, they just need to remain cocnsistent over time not between establishments
Old 14 Nov 19, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

If V&A wasn't amazing every time then there would be a serious problem given their prices.
Old 14 Nov 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Each restaurant has its own manager and head chef, they dont have any relation with each other, they just need to remain cocnsistent over time not between establishments
The Disney owned and operated restaurants share a supply chain with meat, fish etc sourced from the same place - this came into play I believe with the DDP to give better control over costs. It's also the reason why many menu items are similar - they just differ in preparation method.

The restaurant should remain consistent in its own service and quality. Not consistent across restaurants.
This is my main bugbear with WDW restaurants at the moment, wildly differing experiences night to night or guest to guest.

I shouldn't be walking into any restaurant thinking of parting with $200 or $300 hoping the chef or server is having a good night.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
The Disney owned and operated restaurants share a supply chain with meat, fish etc sourced from the same place - this came into play I believe with the DDP to give better control over costs. It's also the reason why many menu items are similar - they just differ in preparation method.
Im sure they do but the fact remains the chefs and management are different... two chefs can have totally same ingredients and similar menu but 1 could make a right pigs ear of it iyswim