Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Nov 19, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

ITA Matrix - risks of using it?

Just looking at ITA matrix which is coming up with some very attractive prices. Obviously that is the good side.

What's the downside? I assume that apart from the obvious of not being able to find a travel agent who can get you the exact booking, there are risks in an indirect flight if one leg is delayed.

So, for those of you that use ITA matrix, do you go to any TA, or do you find smaller, independent ones?

If there is an indirect flight, but both legs are with the same airline, does it count as a through booking, so if the first leg was delayed, they would still need to get you where you need to be?

The flight I am looking at says as follows:

London (LHR) to Orlando (MCO) — Fri, Oct 2

London (LHR) to Charlotte (CLT) — Fri, Oct 2
American 731

Dep: 10:30 am

Arr: 2:55 pm

9h 25m

Airbus A330

Economy (B)

[Lunch, Snack or Brunch]

Layover in CLT

1h 34m

Charlotte (CLT) to Orlando (MCO) — Fri, Oct 2
American 1939

Dep: 4:29 pm

Arr: 6:16 pm

1h 47m

Airbus A321

Economy (B)

If that helps?

The flight back is direct, so not an issue.

Thanks in advance
Old 16 Nov 19, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I tend to use ITA matrix as a flight comparison search. Then go to the airline's website directly and just book directly with the airline. Although sometimes the fares showing up on ITA matrix do not show up on the airline's website!

In terms of indirect flights and getting you to your destination - the flights do not need to be with the same airline but they need to be on the same booking.

E.g. on my recent trip, on one booking, my first flight was with American Airlines but subsequent flights were with BA. Because it was one booking, if anything had gone wrong with my first flight causing me to miss my subsequent flights, they would have needed to rebook me to get me to my destination (with the caveat that it might be on a totally different route, or airline, or different day).

To give a reverse example - let's say I was flying from A to B then B to C, but had booked the two flights separately such that the flight from A to B was one booking and the flight from B to C was a different booking. In this instance, if anything happened to the first A to B flight causing me to miss the B to C flight, the airline would have no obligation to rebook me to get me to my ultimate destination of C. This applies even if both flights are with the same airline, because they are two separate bookings.

Hope this makes sense and I'm not confusing you!
Old 16 Nov 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
sixpence18
Serious Dibber

Mobile

I have been looking for flights on the matrix. Why is it that it finds prices that are not available anywhere else? I keep looking direct and all comparison websites but can’t come close to the prices on the matrix
sixpence18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Well you can find it out if you use momondo.and then use the filters to get the flights. It is currently coming up at around 1440 one way, the return flight might bring it down. Not sure why it's not showing the exact fare bucket but it might have gone since ita took the scrape.

As an aside, 1:34 wouldn't be long enough for me at Charlotte. It's a lovely airport and normally pretty quick but a delay is a delay.

If you took the booking code rather than flight times you may have better joy possibly
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I find ITA matrix returns a lot of prices that don’t exist. I use it to get ideas of routings but I don’t trust that the flights / prices are valid.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

I use it to get ideas of routes and prices, then I book direct with the airline.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Cocobean121
Imagineer

I’ve always found the price to be spot on, booked my £280 direct virgin flight for next year after seeing it on matrix. Maybe I’ve just been lucky tho.

Easter 2011 Legacy Park Villa fl. Aug/Sept 2013 Thousand Oaks Villa fl. April 2015 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa fl. May 2017 the sanctuary, West Haven villa Fl.
October 2019 Pier 60 & Highlands Reserve villa fl
May 2020 endless summer and Aventura
Cocobean121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I use it as a guideline. The search by month feature is also very useful.

As an aside, I would not book 1 hour 37 mins on an indirect routing in USA. I'd suggest 2 hours minimum, ideally nearer 3 in case of delays.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mossyflossy View Post
I use it as a guideline. The search by month feature is also very useful.

As an aside, I would not book 1 hour 37 mins on an indirect routing in USA. I'd suggest 2 hours minimum, ideally nearer 3 in case of delays.
I would not going there I would coming home. We had under an hour on the way home last year had a 15 minute delay and were sitting on the apron twiddling our thumbs for 15 mins as well
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Sorry, forgot to answer the question. I think as long as you can find the same flights as a through flight and have it ticketed as same there aren't really any downsides or risks with using ITA as such, it just shows what is potentially out there.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List