Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 14 Jun 18, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Why not hire a car for a day or two this trip to try out driving , if you hate it at least you've tried without spending a fortune , if you find it's OK you know for the next trip or even see if you can keep the car longer.
You can pick up the hire from Disney itself. I do think if you are nervous that getting off the plane and driving is hard but if you hire to pick up from the Disney car centre they will pick you up from anywhere on site to collect it so you could restrict yourself to Just driving onsite and avoid the big roads altogether.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
lauraloop01
Earning More Ears

The only hotels in walking distance to a park are Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach Club, Contemporary or Swan and Dolphin. All of those are top tier price. You’re not going to get anything off-site where you can walk to a park because WDW is in its own bubble. If you booked something like Wyndham Garden LBV then you can walk to Disney Springs and take a bus to one of the resorts or use the hotel’s park transportation. This is your only option, staying off-site, at least for WDW. It’s also no problem with a pram because there is a bridge into DS which means you don’t cross any roads.

Edited at 03:29 PM.
lauraloop01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWfangirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

WDWfangirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Walking is not an option in WDW apart from in very limited places. We stayed at CBR and friends were at AOA and despite our rooms probably being separated by only a few hundred metres there was no way whatsoever that you could walk between the two.

Next time we’re at WL and i’ve Already checked that the only place you can walk to is fort Wilderness.

Edited at 11:05 PM.
WDWfangirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

Walt Disney World is as others have said, massive. It’s several miles across and hence not walkable generally, but some hotels are walkable to some parts. I have walked the following:

Disney Hotels:

Contemporary to Magic Kingdom
Boardwalk Inn and Yacht & Beach Clubs to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios, and The Boardwalk
All 3 of All-Stars resorts to Blizzard Beach
Saratoga Springs to Disney Springs

Non-Disney Hotels:

Swan & Dolphin (Marriotts) to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios, and the Boardwalk
The 6 Disney Springs Hotels (Wyndham, B Resort, Holiday Inn, Best Western and both Hilton’s) to Disney Springs
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Jane71
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I'll possibly consider staying on site with free DDP as I think it may be my best option.
Thanks again
Jane71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

There are pavements on both sides of the roads on Hotel Plaza Boulevard and lifts to use the walkways that cross the roads so I don't understand how they can be dangerous.
Old 24 Jun 18, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Here’s the perspective. WDW is a 40 mile wide property (the same size as San Francisco) so even staying on property you need a car or to use their internal bus/boat/monorail system. So the short answer to your question is no to budget properties within walking distance to the parks. Staying near Disney Springs would require a decent walk to get to Saratoga Springs to pick up buses to everywhere else. A long and miserable start and end to every day.

Staying at either Disney or Universal in their hotels without a car is very easy however so that’s your best option if not hiring a car. We often don’t have a car and this next trip we aren’t doing so will use a few Uber’s for shopping and getting from Disney to Universal and back.
Old 24 Jun 18, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Staying near Disney Springs would require a decent walk to get to Saratoga Springs to pick up buses to everywhere else. A long and miserable start and end to every day.
^^^ this is not accurate. You wouldn't need to walk to SSR to catch buses. All the Disney Springs Partner Hotels have a regular all day bus service to all parks. They are very reliable and almost comparable to Disney transportation.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jane71 View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I'll possibly consider staying on site with free DDP as I think it may be my best option.
Thanks again
I have stayed at POR with my DD using a wheelchair. The onsite buses (including Magical Express coaches from the airport) are 100% accessible. I agree this will be your best option if you don't want to drive.
Old 24 Jun 18, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

I think staying on site at disney would be your best option as moving around with the wheelchair will be simplier. You could also use the disneyexpress from the airport which saves on transfer costs.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List